xisto Community
bluedragon

Help With Xp - Autoupdate Not Working [resolved] Cannot enable autoupdate

Hi, I have this Sony system with XP SP2 installed and It got infected with a virus. It came as an attachment and I thought its a legit file since NOD32 found it clean. It was suspicious bcoz of its size (<99KB) but I thought Why not give it a try. And when it unpacked, it turned out to be a trojan horse :)So NEways, I managed to clean up the system (0% traces of any suspicious activities so far) but since then my Auto-Update is turned off.If it were to be a pirated copy, I wouldn't have cared much but this is LEGIT ;)Can anyone guide me on how to turn on the Automatic updates or may be reinstall it manually. Thanks in advance..For those of you thinking about tell me to turn it on from the control panel>security Centre -- > I've tried it and its not working ;)P.S.I don't want to loose my data so I don't want to reinstall windows

Edited by bluedragon (see edit history)

Hi,I'am not sure the situation about your computer.But you may try this out.Start -> Run -> type in services.msc -> enterThen, look for an item call auto update.Right-click it -> choose property -> on the startup type -> if it is not auto then please click on it and select auto -> click ok to close the dialog.Try again now.

There is an option for this in Windows Security Center. Go to Control Panel and click Security Center and you will see the option. If it is not there or whatever, you may have to reinstall XP or something.

Have you tried turning it back on through System properties by right click on My Computer and clicking on properties also you can turn it back on through the windows update website and then go to Change settings and see if that will help.

One more suggestions when repairing your system.

If you have a larger hard drive then it is best first backup you whole system with zip or rar compression.

Or any others utitlity you wish to be.

After done the backup. I recommended that you download a copy of outpost pro firewall trial out and protect

you system from attact either by worm and DOD or the like. You have to configured it use block most option.

At first, you will notice that most of connections won't work as normal. But you can fine turn it by press F2

to access the control menu. If you are a firefox fans. Given it raw access as follow,

On the control menu, click the System tab then rawsockets button.

A dialog appear that list all applications that allowed raw access without any restrictions

Click the add button on top right corner of the dialog.

A menu listing all running applications currently on the system and if firefox not listed here. You have to run firefox first then back here.

If nothing wrong, then, you can surf the net with firefox and protected most attact now.

Feel free to ask if you need help with outpost's configuation by PM me.

Thanks for the reply ppl appreciated :)1. @magiccode9 - I tried it and when i started the services.msc , it said disabled under Autoupdate. I thought turning it back to Auto will solve the problem but It didn't. So I tried to start it manually. But When I click on 'Start' it gave me an error 1058. Now I don't know what that is, but when i googled I figured its the same error as I am getting > Autoupdate disabled. But there were no resolutions.2. @coolcat50 - I think you didn't read my post properly. I've tried it already ;)3. @Saint Michael - I tried this but it says automatic under that. Its not a big drive, its only 60 GB. but the thing is there are many softwares that came bundled with the system and I don't have a cd for those. I might loose them. I don't think a simple copy and paste would work with these. If it were only my documents I would have done that already. NE other suggestions besides the reinstall part ;) ?Oh.. and I will put up that firewall but can it handle proxies and wireless networks ? bcoz most of the time this system works on a proxy network or though a wireless network. This is not my system actually, its my dad's. And if he finds out its screwed , :) he'll screw me

Just to let you know, you're not missing out on anything with auto-update turned off. ;)

I know I'm not exactly really helping with this post, but after installing SP2, any further updates, hotfixes, or whatnot is only issue-specific. SP3 brings nothing to the table for Joe Schmoe and only really benefits the IT guy at your office with data encryption, networking updates, and whatnot. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) In fact, I recommend to keep auto-update OFF to prevent Microsoft from bunking your computer with extra services and any other annoying crap. (WGA, anyone? ;) )

Unless you deal with sensitive information over a network or experience any issues that are specific to your machine or your programs, I wouldn't worry about it. You can manually download hotfixes from Microsoft's website anyway.

P.S. Internet smarts: Don't trust anything. You did the right thing by scanning the file first, but did you have updated virus definitions in the case that it was a new development? Gut feelings are good too... if it doesn't seem right, it's not worth the curiosity (unless you're on a work computer :) ). Also, make sure that whatever files you receive are from a "trusted" source.

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)

@Razoredge

This system is generally on a network most of the time .. otherwise we don't use it .

Security is thus required , personal and sometimes confidential data.

We have two networks - both wired and are 100 % secured. One is through a proxy + firewall. It has a two stage scanning for Virus and Malicious softwares

and the second is at home, Its through an adsl modem/router. Just a firewall + antivirus on my system.

And theres something called as an autoupdate on the Antivirus also and yes its working..

You can say, i like experimenting with things..

I suppose you didnt understand the problem and have no idea about whats wrong with my system and were here just for the sake of writting something.

What I do understand from your original posting is that you were infected with malware, supposedly cleaned it, and now cannot get automatic updates to work. I was trying to inform you that automatic updates cover downloads of service packs, hotfixes, and updates to particulars for Windows XP.

However, maybe I came across as a spammer looking to increase his post count.

If you let me know that this was on a network with sensitive data, then I would have to let you know that you shouldn't be experimenting with anything with that particular computer or on any computer that's part of that network. Otherwise, you would be compromising yourself... no one or nothing else to blame.

I do not know what you did with this computer and I don't know what you were infected with specifically, but I gave you the advice that I pass along to others. If you have a legitimate copy of Windows XP and find no other solutions in an appropriate amount of time, I would suggest that you back up your data, format the hard drive, utilize a secure delete application to prevent any possible reoccurrence of the malware you had before, and reinstall Windows XP. It's a pain in the butt but it ensures that you have a clean machine. (Last resort, of course... I know now you didn't want to actually utilize that as an option.)

I did a Google search myself on your error and turned up something that you can try.

As a troublesooting procedure, it may be necessary to re-install the Automatic Client software on a WSUS client system (i.e. Windows XP systems).

You can do this as follows:

1. Go to the Windows Command prompt (CMD.EXE).

2. From the CMD.EXE prompt. run the following command:

For Windows XP SP2

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %systemroot%\inf\au.inf

For Windows XP RTM and SP1

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection AutoUpdate 132 %systemroot%\inf\au.inf

Running this command prompts you for the XP installation CD. Use Browse button and navigate to C:\Winnt\Servicepackfiles\I386 where wuapi.dll and other files related to Automatic Update Client can be found. Afterruning this command, you must restart your computer.

Once restarted, you can open the Services control panel applet and check to ensure the Automatic Update Service is installed.

Source

If that doesn't work, feel free to call me an idiot that spams Xisto with useless posts.

I don't know if you have a spare computer or if you have a computer at work that you use, but whatever the case, make sure that any machine you experiment with is expendable in the aspect that you can afford to lose it to a situation like this.

@ razoredge

I am sorry , I feel like a spammer myself. ;)

I was a bit frustrated when I wrote all that .. plz don't mind me

You are right, may be i shouldn't be experimenting with this machine.. but i can't help it since this is the only machine left with me for a few months.

And thanks for google solution

But it didn't work .. I can't find "C:\Winnt\Servicepackfiles\I386" folder. But i managed to find "wuapi.dll " It was located in C:\Windows\System32

I tried the command with that , and it did run .. but the automatic updates are still disabled ..

Guess I am left with a quick restore option only.. (It is a legit copy, it came with the machine)

I will wait for two days before going with the system restore .. may be someone would come up with a better option. ;)

'Tis all good.It's a stretch, but try running "sfc /scannow" to check the integrity of your system files. Have your Windows CD handy. ;)

;) I dont need a Windows CD.. recovery partition has it all.. I can't even change anything on it .. Its somehow hidden, taking up 5 GB of my precious hard drive.Thanks Anyways.I am Going to go with the recovery option. Looks like nothing else will work. Its better that way , I'll loose up a lot of junk that I've installed.