xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BuBBaG

Making Calculators with PHP Some basic calculator scripts I made.

Yes, I made some basic calculators to use for simple math problems, nothing big.
I'm a newbie at php, so if I made something that could be short, long, I am sorry. lol
Here is one for adding two numbers.

<html><title>Adding 2 numbers </title><body><h3 align="center">Type in the two numbers you'd like to add together.</h3><form action="add2.php" method="post"> <input type="text" name="number1" /><p>+</p> <input type="text" name="number2" /><input type="submit" value="Add!" /></form></body></html>
Save that and name it add.php or add.html, it don't matter.
In that page, it is simply asking for 2 numbers to add.

Next, create a page called add2.php, can't make it html.
<?php$_POST["number1"];$_POST["number2"];?><html><title>Answer to <?php echo $_POST["number1"]; ?> + <php echo $_POST["number2"]; ?></title><body><h3 align="center">Answer to <?php echo "$_POST["number1"]; ?> + <php echo $_POST["number2"]"; ?></h3><p> The answer to <?phpecho $_POST["number1"]; ?> + <php echo $_POST["number2"];?>is <?php echo $_POST["number1"]+$_POST["number2"];?></body></html>
Php files can have html in them.lol
What this page is doing is adding the two numbers that were inputed on add.php(what I used).
Simple right?
Here is subtraction, for this, I copied and pasted the adding script/pages and made new ones called subtract.php, for the first one and subtract2.php for the second. I changed the adding to subtracting and yeah.

<html><title>Subtracting 2 numbers </title><body><h3 align="center">Type in the two numbers you'd like to subtract.</h3><form action="subtract2.php" method="post"> <input type="text" name="number1" /><p>-</p> <input type="text" name="number2" /><input type="submit" value="Subtract!" /></form></body></html>
And
<?php$_POST["number1"];$_POST["number2"];?><html><title>Answer to <?php echo $_POST["number1"]; ?> - <php echo $_POST["number2"]; ?></title><body><h3 align="center">Answer to <?php echo "$_POST["number1"]; ?> - <php echo $_POST["number2"]"; ?></h3><p> The answer to <?phpecho $_POST["number1"]; ?> - <php echo $_POST["number2"];?>is <?php echo $_POST["number1"]-$_POST["number2"];?></body></html>

yeah.
I also made a calculator for finding a circles area and circumference with just entering the diameter.

First, make a file called circle.php, copy and paste this code in it.

<html><title>Enter the Diameter </title><body><h3 align="center">What is this circles circumference and area?</h3><p>Just enter the diameter.</p><form action="circle2.php" method="post">Diameter(d): <input type="text" name="d" /><input type="submit" value="Submit" /></form></body></html>

Next, make a file named circle2.php. In it, it will solve for area and circumference using two formulas.
Where
D=diameter
R=radius
C=circumference
A=area.

For circumference;
D*pi=C

For area;
pi*®^2=A
Unless I'm horrible at math, those are false, but I'm excellent at math, so no worries.

Now, to make that file.
<html><title>Area and Circumference </title><body><h3 align="center">Answers to Area/Circumference</h3><?php  $_POST["d"];  ?> <?php$d=$_POST["d"];$r=$d/2;$r2=$r*$r;$pi=pi();?><p>The aree and circumference of a circle with a diameter of <?php echo $d; ?> are<br />Area:<?phpecho $pi*$r2;?><br />Circumference:<?phpecho $pi*$d;?></p></body></html>
Now, just copy and paste, and it works.

For multiplication and devision, change the + or - to * or /.
Adding is +
Subtracting is -
Multiplying is *
Dividing is /

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll also make a calculator at request, just post the formula for it, I'll make it and test it first, then give you the codes.

Yours truly,
Bubba.

I think it would be a lot beter, if you put in a button, which allowed you to choose the operator, so a minus button, a luse button, and multiply and divide buttons.It shouldn't be too hard to do, you would just have to make the page, use a different PHP script, depending on which button you pressed.Or you could use radio buttons (actually thi would probably be beter)

nice, thats cool.

I like the last piece of code, howto on calculation areas, never thought about that with php.

PHP Supports nice math functions, im sure with php its possible to make great calculators.

You could use radio buttons yes, but its also possible to make real buttons, using winbinder, then compile to executable

I belive winbinder has a example on howto make an real calculator application using php
Oh found it, here you go http://winbinder.org/examples.php

- optiplex

Edited by optiplex (see edit history)

First of all, nobody is going to do your homework for you. If you have questions, you should ask your teacher/instructor/professor. That said, I'll give you a few suggestions for things to look at:-You need to have a basic understanding of how forms work. Read this: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ need to have a basic understanding of how to read form data in php. See:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ http://de2.php.net/manual-lookup.php?pattern=search.phpAnd〈=de&scope=404quickref yes, you can output the form in the same php script that you submit that form to. If you have other questions, email your teacher. Nobody here is going to help you cheat any more than your teacher would, and by asking your teacher you'll know what s/he actually expects.