xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Weather Just curious if any weather Buffs here

I have been curious. Looking throughout the forums, I have not seen anyone that is or maybe curious about the weather, and if this so called globle warming thing is the cause or what. We know that 75000 yrs ago there was a ice age. But now with tempatures on the rise world wide, how do we know that this isnt just a phase the earth is going through, and not this globle warming thing. Maybe it is, maybe not. It is my feeling that the earth is just getting to a point in it's long life where it is changing. True man isnt helping it any with all the Oil and Gas being used. So that is a point for Globle warming. But if all this was not being used like it is, would we have this problem? I have been a weather buff for close to 20yrs now and Seen changes in that time. What I am curious is this. You the members of Xisto have you all seen changes in your time.

Im not the person that solely believes in Global warming but I have noticed some changes to the earth like more Cyclone (both numbers and intensity) and even more normal thunderstorms per year. I also think that the earth is going through changes and not global warming. All of you must know of the movie The Inconvenient Truth.......It is now The Inconvenient Rubbish.Sorry to those who I have offended about Global Warming

Honestly, I have not seen much change in the part I live in. I live in southern califonia, summers are always the same around 100 degrees farenheit and winters get as low as 55 degrees farenheit. Nothing has changed that in the past years. Rain season always comes around in the same months and with the same intensity.

Hi guys... the fact you don't see any change in the place where you live, well it's a good news for you (or bad, depending whether you like the weather you have or not...) but it does not necessarily mean the problem doesn't exist on a GLOBAL scale (hence the name global warming)what we are talking about is a few (1-2 so far) degrees temperature change on AVERAGE, which means you'll have areas where the change is large some where the change is average and some where there's no noticeable change... besides, unless you keep statistics or you are a weather geek, it is quite hard to "feel" a 1-2 degrees difference :) what we are concerned is not the temperature change itself, rather the consequences these small changes can have on the global air and water circulation and possible intensification of natural phenomena, for example typhoons, rainstorms, snowstorms, droughts, etc.we've been observing a clear contraction of the ice bank in the polar regions, together with a general decrease in size in most mountain glaciers in the world, those are probably clear further signs something is going on... now, is that due to human activities? that's the big question! as some of you reported changes have always happened in the known history of Earth, a mini ice age was experienced a few centuries ago, and again in the middle age the average temperature was likely higher than today. What raises concerns nowadays is rather the RATE of change, something never occurred in recorded history... and this period of fast changes, well it began right when people started to massively burn fossil fuels and be heavily industrialized! just a coincidence? maybe ;)thanks Echo_of_.... for bringing up this topic, I also noticed it's not that popular on this forum...ps ausbus, if you "liked" the movie "An Inconvenient Truth" you should watch "The 11th Hour", you never know Di Caprio might be more convincing than Al Gore ;)

I have seen change. I live in a part of the country that is known for rain. I am used to it, but things have changed. When I was little we used to have tons of snow here when it was winter, and now we do not. All we have gotten in the past few years is rain, and when we get snow it goes away after a day or two. It is summer right now, but it rains. (Wonderful, I know...) Wind, storms and colder weather. When I think about "global warming" I do not think about colder weather. The weather is a lot colder at summer times, and warmer when it is winter. I love winter, snow and skiing so I hate that the weather is changing. My views around this changes from time to time, but I see no reason why we should not care about the community. It does not hurt anyone to be a bit careful, right? If the earth is supposed to act like this we have nothing to worry about, but if it is we are facing problems. Better to take care of them and be on the right side then depend on that it is supposed to be like this and that it will fix itself. Summer is boring. It rains. No sun, just rain. Nothing to do.

Im not the person that solely believes in Global warming but I have noticed some changes to the earth like more Cyclone (both numbers and intensity) and even more normal thunderstorms per year. I also think that the earth is going through changes and not global warming. All of you must know of the movie The Inconvenient Truth.......It is now The Inconvenient Rubbish.
Sorry to those who I have offended about Global Warming

Well ausbus, I have to say that I do agree with you. I have lived in new jersey for the past 9 years now. and so far just this month of June, we have had a good 5 days with some very strong thunderstorms and lots of lightening and thunder. In that 9 yrs that I have been here, this was the longest streak of weather I have seen. also this past winter very little snow. The year before that it was the same but Ice and not snow.

I have seen change. I live in a part of the country that is known for rain. I am used to it, but things have changed. When I was little we used to have tons of snow here when it was winter, and now we do not. All we have gotten in the past few years is rain, and when we get snow it goes away after a day or two. It is summer right now, but it rains. (Wonderful, I know...) Wind, storms and colder weather. When I think about "global warming" I do not think about colder weather. The weather is a lot colder at summer times, and warmer when it is winter. I love winter, snow and skiing so I hate that the weather is changing.

you're right man, I've heard stories like that hundreds of times, and experienced myself as well! indeed it seems like the biggest change happened around the '80 and '90 (after year 2000 things have been pretty steady, which is hard to explain in connection with global warming as greenhouse gases emissions have not slowed down... another interesting point...)

I think it's pretty easy to spot these changes if you live in places where you have a daily relationship with nature and supposedly 4 distinct seasons, as in your case I guess. You can definitely tell the seasons aren't in the right place anymore, and as you say it's not just "warmer", it's rather "messed up"!

My views around this changes from time to time, but I see no reason why we should not care about the community. It does not hurt anyone to be a bit careful, right? If the earth is supposed to act like this we have nothing to worry about, but if it is we are facing problems. Better to take care of them and be on the right side then depend on that it is supposed to be like this and that it will fix itself.

That's pretty much the way I see it! better doing something that wasn't needed, than not doing something that WAS needed... because even if we'll have done it "for nothing" what can help the environment can ultimately help all of us ;) after all, who wouldn't like to live in a less polluted environment?

Today it was sun. Yippy! (Too bad I am sick, so I can not enjoy it...) It has been rain for some weeks now. I am sure it will be back tomorrow. The weather constantly changes, it is very annoying. We almost need to bring our thick winter coat when going for a swim. ;)

Hope your feeling better now ;) and everyday is sunny and nice someplace thats the best thing of weather.