xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cooky

Centrino Technology AHHHH

Heres the scenario, you are sitting at your new laptop cruising away, and you are getting quite a speed up and all of a sudden your computer starts to get really slow, you wonder why. You may take it to a tech and he will tell you there is nothing wrong with your centrino.The problem?The new centrino technology has a cut off point. Once the chip reaches a certain point, the computer slows down to cool down the processor so it doesn't reach it's burnout speed. Why have no other laptops had this and there was never a problem?Do you think this is a useful idea? And if so do you think it is practical?

<<The new centrino technology has a cut off point. Once the chip reaches a certain point, the computer slows down to cool down the processor so it doesn't reach it's burnout speed. Why have no other laptops had this and there was never a problem?Do you think this is a useful idea? And if so do you think it is practical?>>Centrino is nothing.. just a cpu for laptop cos p4 cpu is not suitable for laptop. It's cheating to slow down the computer. You are paying for something which is not what you get. E.g Buy a porsche, go and hit 200km/h after 10 min... the speed drops to 100km/h. A noraml car with 100km/h will overtake you soon. Stupid technology.Btw are you sure there's such thing as cutt off point for the new cpu? Do you have a link to the website?

E.g Buy a porsche, go and hit 200km/h after 10 min... the speed drops to 100km/h. A noraml car with 100km/h will overtake you soon. Stupid technology.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if You start with 200km/h and then drop to 100km/h another car that is constantly going at 100km/h will NEVER overtake you :rolleyes:

ugh, and before the centrino the P3-M and even before that many other laptop cpus were doing the exact same thing.

What you guys fail to realise is that Centrino is NOT A NEW CPU.

It is a standard for laptops and includes using an Intel motherboard chipset + Pentium - M CPU with power saving optimizations and b or g class Wi-fi networking. When you have all three, you have yourself a Centrino.

<<The new centrino technology has a cut off point. Once the chip reaches a certain point, the computer slows down to cool down the processor so it doesn't reach it's burnout speed.

Why have no other laptops had this and there was never a problem?

Do you think this is a useful idea? And if so do you think it is practical?>>

Centrino is nothing.. just a cpu for laptop cos p4 cpu is not suitable for laptop. It's cheating to slow down the computer. You are paying for something which is not what you get.

E.g Buy a porsche, go and hit 200km/h after 10 min... the speed drops to 100km/h. A noraml car with 100km/h will overtake you soon. Stupid technology.

Btw are you sure there's such thing as cutt off point for the new cpu? Do you have a link to the website?

40867[/snapback]

No sorry, i just heard it from a friend, i own one and i have seen the cut in power first hand so I beleived him. I rekon my old p2 would be better than it, your metaphor with the car is exactly right. Sorry, i can't find a link. Happy Power cuts.

my neighbor has one and gets mad as heck when it slows down to cool it......i have used it to and i dont like that....i think it woeld have been better for them to just put a better cooler in it so that it wont have to slow donw the speed in order to cool it.....i wount buy one beause of that and also i dont relly like the performance of a laptop compared to the performance of a desktop.

My P4 2.4Ghz laptop sure beats the performance of many desktops even though it is about 2 years old now. It doesn't have a mobile cpu on it though.Your friends laptop must have something wrong since the power saving features are only supposed to kick in when the thing is idle, not to actually cool it. It may have its heatsink not installed properly or fan grils becoming too dusty.

you know that could be it....he actually got this like as soon as they came out.....since then they have made some changes to the structure of the cpu and also made some optimizations.....so i really dont know about the newest centrino processors....the reviewes sem good so maybe i will check one out...the main thing tho i dont like about laptops is the video card selection is low

How big is the shift in processing speed when the cooling process happens? My friend was raving about these for laptops due to the battery speed, and planning to purchase one. I'm gonna tell him right away about this amazing shortcoming. Or not. He's the kinda friend that can be a real *BLEEP* sometimes.

the main thing tho i dont like about laptops is the video card selection is low

44110[/snapback]

The Video card my laptop has is the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 and I can play Doom 3, HL 2, Farcry, Riddick etc... with no problems. It is two years old now though, and there is the 9700, 9800 and the new x series have mobile versions as well so there is little performance drop there.

The Pentium -M cpus are pretty good, my laptop doesn't use a pentium-m cpu, it uses a desktop 2.4Ghz cpu which heats up a lot and has a constant fan running for it together with a full copper heatsink. My previous laptop wasn't a Centrino, but it used a mobile Intel cpu at 1.4Ghz and that ran very cool, hardly needing the fan ever. The truth is, it gets less dust into the computer, runs more stable and with much less problems so I would recommend a mobile cpu with a laptop whenever it is possible. Centrino systems also use mobile processors and therefore should be no different.

Speed is calculated differently in mobile cpus, the value they are rated are only their max speed. You can ONLY achieve that speed if you are using CPU intensive applications such as encoding, playing movies, games etc... Otherwise the clock speed scales to the amount of cpu usage, bringing it down to half the clock speed, even more nowadays to a quarter etc... to save battery power. Also these clock settings are controlled by the power settings in the XP control panel. When set to power save rather than home/desktop it clocks down even further.

it's kinda good thing since it won't burn the processor, plus it won't suck too much battery life. I think that Centrino should just keep the processor at constant speed instead of letting the user know that it's slowing down...

"2.4 GHZ, 2.3 GHZ... sir, we've got a problem, the laptop is slowing down..... :s" - What a colonel would say to the user.

xboxrulz

I thought that Centrino Technology was the most reliable and uses it's power most effectively, proabably becasue of this "energy consumption value", they don't want it to overclock and consume up all the energy. I suppose that it's a good thing for those who travell frequently or perhaps, don't chrage thier computers very often.

mobile athlon64s are really good too actually, just that they aren't advertised that much. I've seen one downclock all the way to 133Mhz!

ohhh,it is pity,which i only have used intel centrino serise Basis and Dothan,hoping to the 3rd generation come into market.what you mention is about mobile amd cpu,like athlon 64s,and how do you think it?is it better than centrino.i would like to have a try...

just stupid question maybe..what is the point of 'centrino' means, whether effisien supply (low vltage - power) or its wi-fi integration, or another else?cause i've seen advertised on tv, seems like the people can access their office data from every where. i dont realy know :D