xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bishoujo

Lor Ark (teochew Braised Duck) - Chinese Recipe For A Party!

Recently, I had to prepare some food for a gathering. After referring to a few Chinese cuisine recipes and my own innovation, I came up with this recipe! It serves 8-10 because that was the number of people I had to cook for.

Note: Very time-consuming and requires a lot of ingredients!

Ingredients:

1 whole fresh duck

3 1/2 tbsps sugar

1 cucumber, sliced

3 stalks coriander leaves, cut into 1 cm lengths

(A)

5-spice powder

Walnut size knob of young ginger - crushed

1 tsp salt

2 tbsps lor dark soya sauce (thicker than the standard dark soya sauce. For people living in non-asian countries, you probably can get it in your 'chinatowns' or places that sell Asian groceries)

(_B_)

1 tbsp oyster sauce

5 tbsps light soya sauce

12-15 cloves garlic, slightly crushed

1 star anise

1 stick cinammon

1 tsp Sichuan pepper (you can use other hot peppers if you can't find this)

Walnut size knob of galangal, sliced

Preparation and Cooking:

1. Blanch duck with boiling water. Rub both inside and out with ingredients (A). Discard ginger and leave duck to hang at room temperature for about two hours.

2. Put sugar in a large wok and heat over moderate heat. Keep stirring until sugar caramelizes.

3. Sear prepared duck on all sides. Add ingredients (:D and 2 cups hot water. Bring to a boil.

4. Reduce heat, cover wok and simmer for 45 minutes. Turn duck over and continue to simmer for another half hour.

5. Remove cooked duck and let excess sauce drip back into wok. Leave to cool at room temperature for 1/2 hour before cutting into serving pieces.

6. Serve garnished with the coriander leaves and sliced cucumber, with a garlic-chilli-vinegar sauce.

Can be eaten with rice or porridge. Enjoy!

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)