xisto Community
Janissary

Advertised Isp Speed Versus Actual Speed Why is the difference?

You may want to visit this topic. That topic gave me the this question.
http://forums.xisto.com/topic/58513-how-fast-is-your-internet-please-let-me-know-how-fast-is-your-connection/

My ISP advertise 1024/256 Kbit speed and network details do say 1024.

But my actual download speed is 100 kb per second and my upload limit is 25 kps.

So what's a Kbit?

I run at 768 kbps and I can download at 90kbps (stable).

You may want to visit this topic. That topic gave me the this question.

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/58513-how-fast-is-your-internet-please-let-me-know-how-fast-is-your-connection/

But my actual download speed is 100 kb per second and my upload limit is 25 kps.

So what's a Kbit?

1024 KBps means 1024 kilo bit per seconds. 1 byte = 8 bits.

1024 kilobit per seconds = 1024/8 = 128 kilobytes per seconds.

Shortly in 1024 kbps connection, you can download at maximum 128 kb/s speed.

Edited by Erdemir (see edit history)

Sağolsın Erdemir.Thx, by the way I tried a fast server and reach 108 Kb/s stable speed. But never ever have seen a speed of 128 kb/s.Sen de T?rkTelekom kullanıyorsun tabii, hi? g?rd?n m? 128 kbs hızını?Dont get me wrong, I accept your explanation. I always thought it means kilobyte.So why still a difference? Does system leave a buffer or something?

Sağolsın Erdemir.

Thx, by the way I tried a fast server and reach 108 Kb/s stable speed. But never ever have seen a speed of 128 kb/s.

Sen de TürkTelekom kullanıyorsun tabii, hiç gördün mü 128 kbs hızını?

Dont get me wrong, I accept your explanation. I always thought it means kilobyte.

So why still a difference? Does system leave a buffer or something?

Yes, my friend. I have seen the speed nearly about ~126 kb/s. This speed depends on each region in your city. About the ports activity which your telephone is connected.

You can check if I am right at 3-4 AM, you internet speed will be more close to 128 kb/s. :D

By the way kbps means kilobits per seconds.

Edited by Erdemir (see edit history)

You may want to visit this topic. That topic gave me the this question.http://forums.xisto.com/topic/58513-how-fast-is-your-internet-please-let-me-know-how-fast-is-your-connection/

So what's a Kbit?

First of all a kilobytes is the smallest amount of information,

The problem is your distance form that company if its High Speed or Cable, becaues it take time for data to go from the company to your computer so that time is the speed, Dial Up was slow becaues of the data being moved through phone lines. The secrets of that advertise is the most common thrie is people download more than they upload so when you brows a web page its fast but when you upload its slow becaues the ISP company never invested in the upload part of your speed instead, they invested in making their INTERNET faster. But depending if you have a network using the same INTERNET connection, it will slow down your speed due to other computers using it. Even if you have a 3mbs connection speed, and got 50 computers using it, than that will be slow becaues the INTERNET speed is being used by 50 other computers, It would be slower if someone, on one of those computer was downloading too. The ISP doesn't give their word on their speed unless its fiberoptics, fiberoptics is the fastest way to move data if your area supports it, the main reason is the things that are use to make it, mostly glass. if you want to know more, you should contact your ISP, I'm just giving you a brief intro about the reason, other wise this would be 4 pages long.

I am somewhat happy with my ISP (BSNL, India's largest telephone network). They told me that, with my broadband plan I will get 256kbps upto 2mbps. Most of the times I am getting that speed. And some times I am reaching 3mbps also. Very nice and happy with my ISP.