xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
oxida

The Multiverse Quantum cosmology

Once i was wondering, what comes after our universe. So i began searching on the internet and spoke with other people who where familiair with quantum cosmology.

They gave me some good information which you can read here:

The simplest analogy is boiling water, which is a quantum effect. Tiny bubbles constantly form in the water and then expand very rapidly. If we treat the Universe like a bubble, then we see that our universe coexists with a sea of other bubbles.

Our universe, then, may be nothing but a quantum bubble, the result of a quantum fluctuation in an infinite ocean frothing with universes. In this infinite ocean called the "Multiverse" the vacuum is constantly spawning new universes. In this picture, "big bangs" constantly takes place each representing a quantum fluctuation in the vacuum.

Creating universes out of nothing may seem to violate cherished conservation principles until we realize that it takes no energy to create a universe. If the universe is closed liked a bubble, then the energy content of its matter is positive while the energy of its gravity is negative. The sum is exactly zero (i.e., because it requires positive energy to lift an object out of a gravitation well, the object's gravitational energy is negative). Thus it takes no net energy to create new bubbles which are contantly being created in the "sea of nothing". Universe are for free!

however, that there may not be life in these other universes. Most of them, in fact, are probably dead universes where the proton lifetime is less than, say, 10 billion years (the minimum time necessary to create stable organic chemicals, DNA, and Life itself).

These other universes may be lifeless seas of neutrinos, photons, and electrons -- incapable of combining to form life. Our Universe, in fact, may be one of the few universes that are compatible with Life.

Is Life, therefore, a special property of the Universe?

"It's as if the Universe was expecting us." For example, if the electric charge or the gravitational constant were changed slightly, then stable DNA molecules would not be possible. The strong anthropic principle, in fact, concludes that this proves the existence of a divine entity or "God".

There is the story of a Russian physicist visiting the United States for the first time, asking to be taken to Las Vegas. Considering him to be a seasoned gambler, his American hosts were curious to learn what his gambling strategy might be. The Russian said that he would put all his money every penny! on the first bet. But, his hosts protested, "That's a ridiculous strategy!". "Yes," he replied. "But in one parallel universe, I shall be rich beyond my wildest imagination."

Strange, but perhaps true. In millions of other universes, however, he will be broke.

This raises another delicate question. Can we visit these parallel universe? Can we walk down Main Street one day to find a hole in space emerging in front of us leading us to another dimension or universe like some episode of the Twilight Zone? Or can we wake up one morning finding ourselves in a world where our loved ones never heard of us?

What do you people think about the universe ??

Creating universes out of nothing may seem to violate cherished conservation principles until we realize that it takes no energy to create a universe. If the universe is closed liked a bubble, then the energy content of its matter is positive while the energy of its gravity is negative. The sum is exactly zero (i.e., because it requires positive energy to lift an object out of a gravitation well, the object's gravitational energy is negative). Thus it takes no net energy to create new bubbles which are contantly being created in the "sea of nothing". Universe are for free!

This part caught my attention. If i understand this correctly, that means that you're defining a universe as pure nothingness, for you seem to not be considering the matter within but as something that is separate and unnecessary for a universe. If that's the case, then there's no need to take into consideration positive or negative energy to prove that a universe requires no energy, for it has nothing in it to begin with. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense.

Regardless, if a universe is nothing but a "bubble," then it is safe to assume that there are other universes outside of this "bubble," as, obviously, the topic title suggests, each being their own "bubble." But this causes a problem, for we are left wondering, "What do we now call the 'container' that is containing all of these bubbles?" This would also mean that we are capable of figuring out the exact size of our universe, that it only appears infinite.

On another note, what would happen if one of these "bubbles" "popped"?

Well thats where "god" pops out :D .but i was wondering that to but in about 2 weeks i have a talk with my uncle who is a teacher in quantum cosmology.When I first came in contact with this heavy stuff i slept for almost a anderhalf day just to consume such heavy material.about the exploding bubble part:hmm yeah i think that would be possible but with the amount of energy comming from the"pop". wouldn't that trigger a chain reaction ?

hmm yeah i think that would be possible but with the amount of energy comming from the"pop". wouldn't that trigger a chain reaction ?

Maybe. It is uncertain how it would "pop" and whether or not it would cause the matter within to scatter outward at a rapid (or slow) rate.
Either way, i'd hate to clean up any mess that would come from it. :D

Once i was wondering, what comes after our universe.

There is no 'after'. 'Time' (like 'motion') is a perception by certain perspectives (like a mirage), thats all. It is not a Universal phenomenon.?

Hence the question is faulty in the assumption that there is an 'after'.

"The Laws of Nature are not rules controlling the metamorphosis of what is, into what will be. They are descriptions of patterns that exist, all at once, in the whole Tapestry... The four-dimensional space-time manifold displays all eternity at once." - Genius; the Life and Science of Richard Feynman

All moments/percepts of existence, ever, are synchronously manifesting, all at the same (Planck) moment/percept. 'Before' and 'after' is one Perspective.

"The complete Universe can be defined/described as the sum-total of all Conscious Perspectives!" - Book of Fudd

There is no thing that exists that is not perceived!

"Consciousness is the Ground of All Being!" - the Copenhagen interpretation of QM.

Consciousness is one, Perspectives are all unique and many.

The First Law of Soul (Conscious Perspective) Dynamics; "For every Perspective, there is an equal and opposite Perspective!" ?- Book of Fudd

Have you guys heard of the M-theory, also referred to as the Theory of Everything. The theory suggests the existence of a multiverse. Instead of a universe confined in a bubble, it suggests the existence of an infinite number of membranes near each other. Our universe is on one of these membranes. There's a youtube presentation about this theory's inception from String Theory.

Our universe, then, may be nothing but a quantum bubble, the result of a quantum fluctuation in an infinite ocean frothing with universes. In this infinite ocean called the "Multiverse" the vacuum is constantly spawning new universes. In this picture, "big bangs" constantly takes place each representing a quantum fluctuation in the vacuum.

Applying the membrane-like system, when two membranes collide, a universe is created. All the particles from electrons to galaxies, are nothing but ripples on the membrane. And these collision between membranes may be so common that it constantly creates new universes.

I have problems with this paragraph. A universe will never be created without the use of energy. As shown by Einstein's famous equation E = mc2. Gravitational energy is some million times weaker than the nuclear and electrostatic energy. If I understand the statement correctly, by energy content of matter you may be referring to either or both the nuclear and electrostatic energies. With how they cancel each other...how positive is this energy content of matter and how negative is the gravitational energy that they cancel each other?

however, that there may not be life in these other universes. Most of them, in fact, are probably dead universes where the proton lifetime is less than, say, 10 billion years (the minimum time necessary to create stable organic chemicals, DNA, and Life itself).

Each of these universe will have its own Laws of Physics. And if life (intelligent or not) exists on any of these universes, it will either be completely different from us or very similar to us. A Pandora-like civilization might even exist in any of these universes. There are no restriction.

There is the story of a Russian physicist visiting the United States for the first time, asking to be taken to Las Vegas. Considering him to be a seasoned gambler, his American hosts were curious to learn what his gambling strategy might be. The Russian said that he would put all his money every penny! on the first bet. But, his hosts protested, "That's a ridiculous strategy!". "Yes," he replied. "But in one parallel universe, I shall be rich beyond my wildest imagination."

HAHAHA! Good one! :angel: