xisto Community
mrdee

A Paypal Question How to sell downloadable material

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following:I have written a song and i want to make the sheet music and the mp3 of the song available for sale on my website.I would ask people to pay by Paypal (I have an account) and when they have paid, they would get a download link for the sheet music and/or the mp3 file.I have looked through the Paypal help, but I have not found anything relevant that might solve my particular problem.I know it is possible to sell downloadable stuff through Paypal.That, if someone has a solution to my problem, brings me to problem #2:I would sell the sheet music for 1 Euro, and the mp3 for 1.5 Euro.However, if people buy both, I would only charge them 2 Euro instead of 2.5.Is it possible to achieve that as well?Sorry for posting this here, but I had no luck when browsing through Paypal's Help and Support.I would appreciate any advice very much.Thank you in advance.

Hi there!

This may not be the most helpful, but it should at least maybe point you in the right direction.

To pay for something on a website and then be taken to the download area, or receive it by email after payment processing you will need to log into your paypal account and look for "IPN" (instant payment notification)

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_admin_IPNIntro this is the technical overview article

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_admin_IPNIntro this will allow you to download the manual for IPN

(as far as I know posting links is OK as long as it helps with the question being asked, please let me know if this is not the case)

If you would like to offer a discount when both the sheet music, and MP3 files are purchased I believe you may need to set up a 3rd button on your website, OR create a discount code, so that when paying customers can enter the discount themselves.

Hope this helps some!

Hi meinbcca,Thank you for your reply.First of all, posting links is quite OK on this forum.It is often done to point people to a place where they can find a solution to their question, or when someone wants to have their website reviewed or something similar.As long as you don't use it for spamming purposes, there is no problem at all.However, when doing so, it is best to use the icon above, 4th from right, them you can post a clickable, working link.As for your answer, I am very grateful, as I tried all over the place on Paypal, but could not really find the answer.Those links have sent me to a place where I can at least find some explanations about my problem.I'll let you know how I got on after I get through the reading.Thanks again.

Hey there mrdee,It's actually pretty simple to do this... just make a PayPal "Buy It Now" button... and there'll be a field that asks "Redirection URL", enter in the Download link for your sheet music...That will make it so, once the visitor pays, it'll redirect him to the page to download the music...Hope that helps.You could set up a separate"Buy it Now" button for both the mp3 and the sheet music.

Thanks for that information. I was looking into something quite like it but a little bit different.What about items that you would like "seeded" with the person's information so that if it's shared with others you can tell?I mean, uploading a book for people to purchase does no good if the person who buys it shares the link with millions of others so that they can get it for free. Or just shares the book itself.There are some places where your information is stored in the book so that they can press charges against you for copyright infringement and whatnot.Anyone know how that's done?

As far as I know eBay offers an automated system that could be useful for you. You can automate your sales of products that can be downloaded. Their site works with PayPal and when you get paid they manage giving your customer the download link. You'd need to check if it's available in your country and exactly how it works. On the other hand, using eBay gives people the sensation of more security than buying through a non famous website (in my experience with eBay's Mexican equivalent).

Hey, while talking about this, which I find very interesting by the way, does anyone know what does a team of 8 people need to sell online a video game they made through paypal? I'm researching before we actually get to work so, if anyone's got some knowledge about this please share it. Thanks.