xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mich

Mich Venting Again! Yet another one of those days.

Well, here I go venting again. Got a new (slightly used) eMachine with twice the memory and 4 times the hard-drive space. OK, so we have 2 monitors, no problem, right? Uh-huh! When I hooked the old puter up to the extra monitor, it couldn't handle the colors and resolution. So we have to switch the monitor to whichever puter we want to use.

So I set out to configure my eMachine to ready it for transfering files from old puter. The eMachine combo read/write CD DVD drive doesn't seem to like the CDs I burned on the old puter to transfer stuff. Since the old puter's OS is Windows 98 and the eMachine's is Windows XP transfer software won't work. So now all my "stuff" is locked up on the other hard-drive. I called the shop where I got the eMachine and was told there is a way to temporarily "slave" the old hard-drive to the eMachine. He is going to show me how to do it. That will be some trick! :D

Then we have the monitor issue. I guess I can either buy a slightly used monitor or perhaps I might indulge myself with what I saved not having to buy a brand new puter, and get myself a new monitor. :D Then the old one can stay with the old puter for hubby to use.

BTW: I also got a slightly use printer to replace the one that decided not to auto-feed anymore. And, I am taking the eMachine back to the shop for them to check out the combo read/write CD DVD drive.

***big hugs** Mich does any of your computers have USB on them at all? If os you can move your smaller files over and stuff and not worry about the CD's. As for a the temporary slave, you could get a hard drive enclosure that has a USB connection and that way you can connect your hard outside your computer and move stuff that way as well.

I was looking at an Eee pc but decided to spend a little more for a basic laptop simply to for business use to take about with me. But it needs more than just a wordproccesor etc.

Ok, for the monitor issue: If you are going to use your computers seperately consider a KVM switch. You can connect 2 computers to the same monitor with that and just press the little switch if you switch computers. These go for about 20 bucks. File transfers: If you have an ethernet card on both computers you may consider just using a cat5 crossover cable and networking your computers together so that you can transfer the files. Another option would be a thumb drive. I believe you can get one up to 16 gb, which should be plenty to handle even your biggest files. The third option would be an external hard drive. These are more spendy. (You could always buy one, use it, clear it out, and return it. But thats not really ethical :D )

***big hugs** Mich does any of your computers have USB on them at all? If os you can move your smaller files over and stuff and not worry about the CD's. As for a the temporary slave, you could get a hard drive enclosure that has a USB connection and that way you can connect your hard outside your computer and move stuff that way as well.

Both puters have USB ports, but I wouldn't know what to do with them. I am still going back to see how to slave the other hard drive temporarily. I have a iOmega Zip drive that operates on both puters, which is another way to transfer stuff, as well. It uses the parallel printer port. I have most of my stuff backed up on the Zip drive disks, so that helps a lot. I have 2 flash/thumb drives, but there isn't a driver on the puter running Windows 98.

I am back on line anyway and that is what counts. The eMachine now has a read/write CD drive now without the DVD. The combo driver was bad. Oh well, I didn't want to watch DVDs on my puter anyway. It just happened to be on the machine.

Setting up the new puter to suit me is very time consuming. I can just go so long before I have to take a break. Been at it most of today. Installed as many programs as I could from their original CDs. Then I have to configure all the programs over again. :D What a chore.

Thanks everybody for the support. Switching the monitor was a good idea, dwolters. The problem was solved with a used monitor that cost me only $33.00. Hubby needed a monitor of his own since he likes to be on the puter at the same time I am. When I finally get things all transfered and reconfigured, we will both be happy campers. He also likes the idea that he can get on line on his puter if and when he likes. That is, unless I am on line :D . We aren't even thnking of networking them. We know it can be done, but decided against it.

Edited by Mich (see edit history)

Wow someone who uses those Iomega zip drives, I am surprise, and Mich as for what you can do with your USB check this link out from newegg, I bet you will find lots of stuff to use your USB now. As for networking that is easy just as long as your computer are able compatible with the right router and stuff like that. I can understand about time consuming as I had to install XP on my new hard drive and that took a couple of days, but don't fret Mich, you master the computer and not the other way around, because that won't happen for a couple hundred more years :D.

The drama continues. Thanks for the kind support St.Mike. However, the eMachine bit the dust. I guess it was more slightly abused than slightly used. It crashed the other night. Had to take it back and get a refund. To add to my distress I have been struggling to get on line with the old puter. Things got changed on it somehow and the connection got screwed up. Just finally got it configured right. I don't know exactly what I did. BUT, here I am.

Plan B: Upgrade the puter I have, if possible. Want to get a new larger hard drive with Windows XP, more memory, faster processor, and slave the present hard drive. It is with total frustration that I have turned to this plan.

The guys where I have been doing business are very co-operative so far. The only hurdle is whether or not the upgrade is possible. They will have to take a look inside the PC unit to see. Of course, this will keep me off line for a while again. I need to get some on-line business done before I turn it over to them, however.

I know you don't want to spend much, but instead of upgrading the computer that most likely won't be upgradable with adding new hardware to the system, I would say bite the bullet and get a new computer. I know cost is the issue and so I would suggest checking out newegg.com and check out the computers that they sell. Most of them require a monitor and if you got an extra monitor laying around or something then you be set.

That is the thing about computers, when they want them to work they don't and when you don't want want them to work they do.

Hey, you will never guess. The eMachine is back. Evidently the read/write CD drive was the culprit. For some reason the puter wouldn't boot with it installed. I now have a brand new DVD multi recorder. I am back on line tonight with the eMachine. We are giving it one last try. If things go well from here on out, I have got what I need. Thanks to the guys down at the shop who have worked so hard to keep me puter supplied and upgraded. Lots of memory and a 57 gig hard drive. Plenty of room for all my graphics.

Mich only 57GB? SHould have asked to see if they could bump up your hard drive as well, because you won't have much room to work with on 57 gigs, I sure didn't so I had to get a external hard drive to keep my stuff safe, and when I got the money, upgrade my computers hard drive to 200GB, nearly blown through that as well.

Hey, I only had 12 gig before and wasn't used up. :D I don't have a lot of stuff (programs) on my puter, so this should do me just fine. I have the zip drive and cds for backup of everything. Most of the games will stay on the old puter anyway. This one is for use on line and business. If I ever do need more room the guys at the shop can slave me another drive I am sure.