xisto Community
tricky77puzzle

Kde 4 I dont like it...

So, I recently got the newest release of Kubuntu, with the new KDE 4. What I wasn't expecting was that I'd switch back to using Vista right away.The new KDE 4 is all looks. It doesn't have near the amount of customizability as KDE 3, and the taskbar is way too wide for just one layer. (I can't switch it back to 2 layers.)All right: First, the customizability. Although all the window options are still present, the panel is almost completely automatic, which is okay, but what I don't like is it has no manual mode. You can't even move anything around. I hope this is fixed in 4.01... right now I'm going to stick with 3.Have any of you tried KDE 4? What do you think of it?

Linux and it's apps are designed to be as customisable as possible. Obviously, you just got to figure out how. I didn't search much but I did find an (outdated?) article saying about KDE4's bugginess.Out of interest, why didn't you try gnome out instead?

Extra panel options will be out with KDE 4.1 (last i checked). Until then, you'll have to manually edit the Plasma configuration. In order to do so, you must first kill Plasma, or else your modifications will be overwritten. I've seen screenshots where people managed to shorten their panel's width (the ones with the K menu in the middle), but i'm not sure if they're real or not. Indeed KDE4 is a work of art—i love all of the wallpapers—but KDE3 currently defeats it in configuration. I love the fact that it loads up faster than KDE3, too. You can try out KDE4.1 beta if you want. Not sure if it's in Ubuntu's repository, but you can compile it yourself if you want. If i could, i would just have the panel floating around with the widgets i want, but i can't find any good documentation on Plasma.

Hi guys, you cannot criticise KDE4 whe it is still in beta stage.They say that it is not true, but it is. For the moment i recommend to keep using KDE3 or try Enlightement that is getting better with the time. If you dont lik none of them just keep using Gnome or try Fluxbox that is extremely fast for old pcs.RegardsLinux for ever.

Out of interest, why didn't you try gnome out instead?

Heresy! Trolltech shall rule the world!

@seba1killer: I can criticize any piece of software at anytime, thank you, 'tis just a matter if the analysis is final or not.

Yeah, 4's not as cool as 3 was. Yet. If the kde devs keep up their reputation that should change soon enough. Haven't had a chance to play with Plasma yet (been too busy going OMG! ssl FIX NOW!) but I think it's alright overall.

4.1's not in ubuntu repositories ... still. :D

Hi guys, you cannot criticise KDE4 whe it is still in beta stage.

Actually, the stable version was released a long time ago. Currently the latest stable is 4.0.4. I haven't been using it, though—i'm waiting for 4.1 stable, because i don't wanna compile KDE4 on my own; i tried compiling KDE3 in Zenwalk once, that was a mess. :D