xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cangor

Affirmative Action Really Pisses Me Off

Okay, well, I'm sorry if anyone finds this offensive, that's not my goal in writing this, I just think affirmative action is really unfair and personally puts me at a disadvantage...which...is probably why I hate it so much. Anyway...
In 1961, President John F. Kennedy issued an executive order stating that government contractors should

…take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and employees are treated during their employment, without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin.

This idea seems in all ways noble, however the policy of affirmative action, as it now exists, is entirely the opposite of what it was really meant to be and only perpetuates the inequity it purports to destroy. This issue is of especial importance for me because I will soon be applying to college, and affirmative action factors heavily into some colleges’ decisions. I have several friends at high school who will be greatly affected by affirmative action both positively and negatively in their college applications. One of my African-American friends is currently enrolled in two AP classes and has decent grades and test scores. Although he is not an outstanding student, he will likely get accepted to colleges that others with better test scores and grades will be rejected from simply because he was born with a different skin color. Another friend of mine is “just Hispanic enough to qualify for affirmative action.” Though intelligent, he has poor time-management and organizational skills, and this is reflected in his grades. However, he will have a strong college application despite his less-than-stellar grades simply because he is eligible to fill in a different oval than me. A third acquaintance is planning on majoring in science in college, and will have much higher chances than a man of getting into a selective technical school just because she is a woman. She is at best a mediocre science student who has survived most of her more difficult courses by copying off others, and her test scores reflect this.
These three students characterize exactly what is wrong with the idea of affirmative action. The African-American student says that he does not feel encouraged to take harder classes and challenge himself because he knows he has an advantage over others already. Because of affirmative action, he is less motivated to succeed as a student and improve himself as a person. The second, despite being more Irish than Mexican, will put down Hispanic as his ethnicity on his college applications as an excuse for his poor academics. Not only does this reinforce negative racial stereotypes because once he is at college his academic weaknesses will inevitably show, but it is also morally questionable and deceptive. Furthermore, it is being discriminatory against non-minority students who may have better grades and organizational skills and be more suited to attend a selective college, because such students may be rejected to make room for the one-quarter Hispanic kid. The third student does not exhibit the academic potential to be a successful doctor or researcher. By accepting her, a college may well be turning away a more qualified student who would, in the future, be superior at their job.
In short, while affirmative action endeavors to promote equality in college admissions, it ends up creating unfairness. It fails to evaluate individuals based on their actual virtues and shortcomings and is ultimately unsuccessful in destroying racial and sex-based stereotypes. Just look at the minority drop-out rates at colleges which factor affirmative action heavily into their admissions decisions. (What does this make you think about the races represented?)
If what we really want is equality, then establish it through other means than creating discriminatory quotas and lowering standards for certain groups. For example, in Germany, there is a program called “Neue Wege für Jungs” or “New Paths for Boys.” The basis for this program is that boys have more problems with school and choosing jobs than girls, (something true in the United States and basically every other developed country as well... dang it another thing going against me) and should look at jobs that are both traditionally dominated by woman and those traditionally dominated by men. Programs like this encourage people to make college and career decisions they would not normally consider without offering them an unfair advantage as incentive to choose a certain career.
Affirmative action is also grossly unfair to workers. We often hear of underrepresented groups (in either race or gender) suing companies because they feel the have been discriminated against. (not hired for a job, not offered a promotion, etc.) In order to defend against this negative press, companies tend to hire minority workers and set up quotas for the employment of minority groups. (Also, workers who were hired due to some sort of affirmative action are less likely to perform their job well because they know that they can sue their employer and/or create a huge “racist/sexist” outrage if they are fired.) The result of this is that skilled workers sometimes get turned down for other workers who are not as skilled. Not only does this hurt the company (though that’s their own issue) but it also shortchanges the person who would be a better worker—on a larger scale thousands of talented individuals cannot find work just because companies are worried about hiring certain demographics.
Affirmative action hurts everyone involved. It discourages good performance at school and at work, cultivates negative racial stereotypes, and is discriminatory and unfair. If what we really want is a “colorblind” America then don’t inadvertently (and hypocritically) further racism by being partial to certain groups. Similarly, if we want complete equality for men and women then don’t be partial to one or the other. Individuals should be evaluated solely on their own merits and abilities.

Thanks for hearing me out on this...

The problem is that no people aren't equal, but it's nothing to do with race, colour, religion etc. There are some people who when you insult them will say "you think your better than me" and the answer you want to say is, "I know I'm better than you" of course these are the people who make everyone elses life a misery. I don't believe we should judge anyone on anything but who they are. and I don't me black, white etc. I mean who they are inside as a person!