xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
clubJWP

Paypal Scam in French

i am a regular user of paypal. i use it for all my internet related buying. recently i have recieved this message from paypal (it actually cam from an email: paypal@securesuite.net) it was in some different language

"Les informations concernant votre compte:

Cher utilisateur PayPal:

Attention! Votre Compte PayPal A t limit!

Dans le cadre de notre scurit Mesures, nous procdons rgulirement l'activit de l'cran PayPal d'apprendre rcemment Vous ont contact aprs avoir relev un problme sur votre Account.We demand des informations Auprs de vous pour la raison suivante:

Notre systme a dtect charges inhabituelles une carte de crdit lie votre Compte PayPal.

Cliquez Ici pour activer votre compte

Cordialement,

PayPal Email ID: 5138-8872

Dpartement de l'examen des comptes de PayPal.

Le Corp Copyright 1999-2008 PayPal PayPal. Tous droits rservs. "

i was shocked to get this message, i contacted paypal and they said hey havent posted anything like that to me. after doing a little research they cam to know it was send by some hacker who wanted to hack my account

Notice from jlhaslip:
Quote bbcodes added

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't received that particular email yet, but I recently received an email from a furniture company in the UK (I'm in the US) that was looking for part time internet sales people to receive customer orders via email and also receive their payments and deposit them to the company's acct. The email was nearly flawless in giving the impression that it was truly from this real furniture company, including links to their real website, but the email domain on the return address was a digit off, and I contacted the real company. They wrote me back thanking me for alerting them to the problem.These phishing schemes are getting more and more sophisticated, and more people are getting duped.

I used to work at the Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement Computer Crimes Center, and these "scams" are not uncommon. The first thing you can do is see a great deal of misspelled words. That is a redflag, as well as a bank or company asking for your information in an email. (especially if you never gave them an email address) Also you might get a reset password for a bank where you dont even have an account. I suggest going to register a quick free account @ spamcop.net. Then add them to your address book and when you get a bogus email just forward the whole thing to them, then delete it. They will analyze the email headers and put them on a blacklist that will help us all.Above all, just be smart and use common sense online.

Because it was in a different language you should of imdeitley recognized something was wrong as you did.Paypal will never ask for your bank details over email or any sort of payment details like that.they may prompt you to go on there site and do it, even then check the url is write. It could be a dummy site with exact same website but dummy url and made up website. And the details go to people who will use it for there own sake.

just ridiculous...Paypal Scam

I got this exact email as well. As I speak French and lived in France when I set up my PayPal account, I was at first tempted to believe that this email was legit. I clicked on the link, wondering what was going on with my PayPal account, and I began filling in my information. Good thing I had a bad feeling about it. I never submitted the info. That could have been disastrous. It was only then that I noticed the url for the link. It started with Techboss.Com. So...That did not seem right to me. I went to the real PayPal website (in French) to compare, and sure enough, the pages looked almost identical, it just had one missing link at the bottom of the page. It was a pretty decent effort on their part, I have to say. I bet a lot of French-speakers have been scammed with it. And, of course, there are tons of those scam emails in English, too. Better be careful. Anyway, I ended up forwarding the email on to spoof@paypal.Com to let them know about it.

-reply by Erica