xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LooneyMS

Windows Xp Memory

NOTE: I strongly recommend that you have (at a minimum) 512MB of RAM installed on your system before attempting this tweak.

STEP 1: Start > Run > the type: regeditSearch for this key:
Code:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>Current Control Set>Control>Session Manager>Memory Management

STEP 2: Find: DisablePagingExecutive - Double click it and in the decimal put a 1 - This will allow XP to keep data in memory now instead of paging sections of RAM to the harddrive. Ultimately providing you faster performance.

STEP 3: Find: LargeSystemCache - Double click it and change the decimal to 1 -this will allow XP Kernel to Run in memory will also improves system performance. (This one is the KICKER)

Credits go to tEChniiQue of

Xtreme-Source.com

I'd like to add that there is a more user-friendly way to do STEP THREE, for those not comfortable with the registry:

Start -> Right Click My Computer -> Properties -> Advance -> Performance -> Settings -> Advanced -> Memory Usage -> Select System Cache

Then click OK and restart your computer.

NOTE: I strongly recommend that you have (at a minimum) 512MB of RAM installed on your system before attempting this tweak.Credits go to tEChniiQue of

Xtreme-Source.com

I would raise the limit of your recommendation to people with a lot of physical RAM (1Gb+). In my experience, people with less than that should stay away from changing these settings, because Windows XP uses pagination files in the hard disk to emulate RAM when there is not enough of it for the system and applications together.

Thanks for the info. Very useful indeed.

Best regards,

-L.