xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvonarya

Dish Network Scam Know about Dish Network Scams when you choose to disconnect

On 02/15/2010 we contacted Dish Network to cancel or subscription with them since we have lost service 6 times in the last 2 months and currently have been with out service for 4 days. The operator on the phone basically told us that we would be charged a penalty in an amount equal to 6 months of service. We try to explain to them that we are unhappy with the service and did not feel that they had met the our expectations since we are not home a lot but in the times that we have been home we have gone with out TV. 6 different times with the last time being with out TV. For 4 days. The operator told us that he was sorry but that is the way satellite works if the weather is bad you don't  have satellite since the satellite is so far away. I feel that this company is running a scam they advertise one thing and then once they got you then you are stuck weather or not you are happy with their service. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and encourage anyone else that is having problems with this company to do the same. In a time when people are loosing their jobs and companies are down sizing you would think that a company would be doing anything they can to provide the best service possible and not telling people oh well it is what it is.  

-reply by Ed Aquino

well I had dish and used to work for dish and they made us get it under my name even though my sister had it in her name. so I actually paid a 200 dollar cancelation fee and put it in my name because they basically said that it would be better for me to have it under my name because it would be better for my job since we all had to get it(i know that is totally illegal but who wants to lose their job over that) but a couple weeks later i lost my job with them and i decided to cancel my service now i called in the day i stopped working for them and made sure i canceled it and i was waiting for the boxes they never came and 3 months later i get a 300 dollar bill and a notice that my service has been disconnected which was a big suprise i had my equiptment unplugged and i was waiting for the box i even kept calling them asking them to send me the boxes and no one mentioned to me that my account hadnt been canceled but that doesnt suprise me because i spent so long cleaning up after their agents and nothing suprises me about dish and the worst part is no one will listen to me or talk to me they just keep using the if we repeat the same thing to her then she will get tired and off the phone because honestly all they care about is getting customers off the phone and the supervisors dont care about customer service they just care about their stats and how fast they can get you off the phone. and it goes to show you could know everything about dish and they would still find a way to screw u out of 500 dollars and now they want to charge me for equiptment fees eventhough i have it all packed up and i just need the labels to send it back to them its not like i really need equiptment that cant even last 6months without breaking down

status of acctDish Network Scam<p>Although through working for dish I do see a lot of problems, this is not a scam.? What it sounds like to me is your account may have been in suspension for non payment?? Yes, indeed you MUST call to cancel Dish for YOUR safety.? Otherwise, anyone can send an email or letter asking to cancel or change your service.? If your account is already in a non pay status with a set complete disconnect date when you call to cancel, they will let it ride out until the disconnect date.? I assume yours was already in nonpay because the date they gave you was so soon and the boxes needed to be sent back.? The boxes are sent automatically upon disconnect and are sent with prepaid labels.? Unless you request UPS to come pick them up from you, there is no charge in sending the equipment back.? The equipment must be sent back within 10 days IF the account was disconnected for the nonpay status before any equipment fees are applied.? In turn, the fees are removed once the equipment is received.? If the account is current when a person calls to cancel (yes, the loyalty agent is required to probe as to why the customer is wanting to cancel, make offers, and try to save the customer- part of their job.) the account will be disconnected on that same day and the customer will have 30 days to get equipment back before fees are applied and 39 days from disconnect before the account would become eligible for collections.? If I am correct and your account was in a nonpay suspended status, you received another bill between the time you called and the time it disconnected because we bill a month in advance and when in nonpay, the billing does not stop until it enters a complete disconnect at which time the balance is prorated to the date when it was suspended.? Although I know it can all be confusing to someone on the outside, there is no "Scam" involved. If this is a freak case in which your account wasn't disconnected upon your request, then I apologize, but it all seems standard to me.</p>-reply by lynie

Lynie, either your are incurably naive or a liar. Choosing to believe that Dish Network, or any other major corp for that matter, is honest does not change the fact that they are corrupt! Dish network can choose to adopt any policy they want to benefit themselves and claim they are "doing it for your safety" but the truth still remains, they are scamming liars and don't deserve fair or honest treatment by anyone! Lynie, your propaganda won't work on anyone with at least half a brain!

Here is what I sent to Dish Network because I am suffering from the Economic Crisis. I can no longer afford to live. This is what has become of our world today. Since everything seems to want to keep going up in price while there are no Jobs and people are suffering and can't even afford to eat. Dish Network has no sympathy.Dear Dish Network, Due to the economic crisis I no longer have any income. I am fixing to be homeless cause I can not afford my rent anymore. I don't even have the money right now to file bankruptcy. If I can find a way to borrow the money to file through Legal Aid then I will. I have no money to pay for satellite service which I receive through Dishnetwork. I no longer have a home phone for that has been disconnected. No Gas or Water. Electric is next. I have 5 days to be out of the home I rent. I am trying to find a shelter to stay at. I conntacted customer service over a month ago letting them know I would be losing my income and didn't know how I was going to afford all my bills plus rent. Suicide doesn't look to bad right now. So many others are suffering the same way. The United States of America is about to be no more because it is so broke and busted. More and More companies are going to lose money because people like me can not afford to pay for services from companies anymore. Sorry Dishnetwork. I really love Dish too. But, I am going through things that are beyond my control. So to save yourselves time. Please just go ahead and charge what you want to me. But you will not be getting any money. So go ahead turn it over to a collection agency. Good luck with that too. To save time you should just go ahead and put your charges on my credit report. Who cares anymore. Defeated in a world that is seeing its end. What are people to do. There is nothing more you can do to me. I am all ready dead. No Jobs. No money. No home. What is there to live for. Thanks

Know about Dish Network disconnect Scams when your agreement term is met.

After 18 months of subscribing to 100 channels of mostly reruns at Dish Network I chose to disconnect as the contract term was met.

First I found there is no way to disconnect thru their website(you could only buy more options there), I called them on 4/7/2008 to

disconnect , there you'll end of talking to an operator who does not take no for answer and insists on asking all sort of questions

about why and when you tell that you are not using it quickly want to get your agreement on holding the service for you another

6 months not mentioning there is a $10/mo charge for it till last minute after you agreed to hold. Refusing the hold option the operator

finally agrees to disconnect as of 5/3/2008, no charges are due but I am required to send back their receiver in a box they send me

within 10 days after 5/3/2008(account # is 8255909339772078).

On 4/20/2008 I received my new monthly dish network bill of $61.45 for 5/3/2008 to 6/2/2008 instead of disconnect they raised the

$49.99 monthly due to $61.45.

Filed a complaint thru BBB and hoping to get rid of dish network subscription ordeal one way or another.

Hi, my name is Alicia Brink. I am with the executive offices of DISH Network. I want to apologize for the experience you had. I know this was some time ago but I wanted to reply to ensure you we care and help future customers who may be in same situation as your self. Most of the channels we provide are not exclusive therefore all providers will have the same position of showing "re-runs". The network providers (owners) of the station determine what they will put on their programming. We do not like losing valuable customers like yourself, so when you request to cancel we will try to gather as much information as to why that is possible. We like to determine the reason so we can offer you alternative solutions to canceling. I understand how this can be frustrating at times. We bill you in advance so since your account was not scheduled to disconnect until May 3 you still received your regular monthly bill that was generated as of April. Once the account is closed after May 3rd you will be sent an updated bill with credits for any unused programming. If you have any questions regarding this or anything else please feel free to email me directly at Alicia.Brink@DishNetwork.com

Ed Aquino,Hi, this is Alicia Brink. I'm with the Executive Offices of DISH Network. I apologize about your bad experience. If you have issue with signal under light rain we can send a tech out to verify that something else is not causing the issue other than the weather. There will be times when service is affected due to inclement weather. We make every effort to get a technician out to you as quickly as possible. Since it may take 1-3 days for a technician to be available to come out we look at other methods to assist you over the phone through trouble shooting or online on our website. Any time there is an issue that has the ability to be corrected if we are given the opportunity the cancel fee would be enforced if a customer declines and elects to cancel. If you are having reoccurring issues that have not been resolved after several attempts, than at that point we could look at removing your contract. We understand that some people are affected by the economy right now, which is why we offer plans that start as low as 24.99 per month to accommodate all of our customers needs. We do not require a customer retain the same package throughout their contract period. If you have any other questions feel free to email me.Alicia.Brink@Dishnetwork.com

well I had dish and used to work for dish and they made us get it under my name even though my sister had it in her name. so I actually paid a 200 dollar cancelation fee and put it in my name because they basically said that it would be better for me to have it under my name because it would be better for my job since we all had to get it(i know that is totally illegal but who wants to lose their job over that) but a couple weeks later i lost my job with them and i decided to cancel my service now i called in the day i stopped working for them and made sure i canceled it and i was waiting for the boxes they never came and 3 months later i get a 300 dollar bill and a notice that my service has been disconnected which was a big suprise i had my equiptment unplugged and i was waiting for the box i even kept calling them asking them to send me the boxes and no one mentioned to me that my account hadnt been canceled but that doesnt suprise me because i spent so long cleaning up after their agents and nothing suprises me about dish and the worst part is no one will listen to me or talk to me they just keep using the if we repeat the same thing to her then she will get tired and off the phone because honestly all they care about is getting customers off the phone and the supervisors dont care about customer service they just care about their stats and how fast they can get you off the phone. and it goes to show you could know everything about dish and they would still find a way to screw u out of 500 dollars and now they want to charge me for equiptment fees eventhough i have it all packed up and i just need the labels to send it back to them its not like i really need equiptment that cant even last 6months without breaking down

Hi, this is Alicia Brink with DISH Network. I apologize about the confusion regarding your account. Although it is not required for employees to get an account it is recommended because what better way to assist your customers then knowing your product inside and out. Of course the employee discount is an added bonus as well! When you cancel services the equipment has to be sent back within 30 days to avoid additional charges. If you are unable to reach the LNBF (piece on the dish), than we can make other arrangements for you. You would be required to ship the equipment to one of our main offices. For retuning your leased equipment back to DISH Network, you have the option of using the packaging and label we provide for you, or you can choose your own shipping method. However, you will generally save money by using our packaging as it is only $15 per shipping label, which is as low as half the cost of other couriers. If you are charged for for non returned, once its returned you will be refunded for the equipment.

Dish Network sucks. I signed up a year ago and my company has decided to relocate me to our midwest office. I called them to request cancellation and to return my receiver. After going through multiple offers of 'transferring my service', I am then told I will have a cancellation fee of $210 because I am breaking my contract. I remind them that I initiated service one year previously and they informed me that I have a 2 year contract and cancelling violates that and therefore a $210 fee is required. I then ask for a copy of this contract because I don't sign agreements for anything that is longer than 1 year given the nature of my job and need to move. I am then transferred to a higher level who can provide this contract and lo and behold, they can't actually access it right now and can provide to me in 7-10 business days. I am told then that they will be happy to pursue this and if in fact, there is no signed contact, I will only have to pay the $99 activation fee that was waived when I accepted their special deal for 2 years, because they would never give a 'no commmitment, no contract' agreement without charging the $99 activation fee. So basically, they are telling me that if there is no signed agreement, they have the right to charge me for the activation fee one year later. That seems to be a bit of a scam if you ask me? Why would I pay you for something I didn't agree to? That I didn't sign a 'contract' for? And how do they have the right to enforce something that was not agreed to by the receiving party? I wouldn't have paid $99 to activate a network that, in my case, already existed thanks to my landlord.And don't get me started on the service I received for the year anyway. It's less than your average cable and the system is not at all intuitive. You pay a premium to receive subpar technology and yet they don't understand why I don't want to transfer my service to my new home.

The same thing happened to me i they put 385.00 through my account with out my authorization and i called my bank and reported a fraud case they told me this happens a lot from dish network. I also, tried to call dish network and they said they wouldn't refund the money i got so frustrated so i hung up on them but if anyone goes through this def call your bank because its fraud and they cant put the charge through with out your authorization.

Dish Network sucks. I signed up a year ago and my company has decided to relocate me to our midwest office. I called them to request cancellation and to return my receiver. After going through multiple offers of 'transferring my service', I am then told I will have a cancellation fee of $210 because I am breaking my contract. I remind them that I initiated service one year previously and they informed me that I have a 2 year contract and cancelling violates that and therefore a $210 fee is required. I then ask for a copy of this contract because I don't sign agreements for anything that is longer than 1 year given the nature of my job and need to move. I am then transferred to a higher level who can provide this contract and lo and behold, they can't actually access it right now and can provide to me in 7-10 business days. I am told then that they will be happy to pursue this and if in fact, there is no signed contact, I will only have to pay the $99 activation fee that was waived when I accepted their special deal for 2 years, because they would never give a 'no commitment, no contract' agreement without charging the $99 activation fee. So basically, they are telling me that if there is no signed agreement, they have the right to charge me for the activation fee one year later. That seems to be a bit of a scam if you ask me? Why would I pay you for something I didn't agree to? That I didn't sign a 'contract' for? And how do they have the right to enforce something that was not agreed to by the receiving party? I wouldn't have paid $99 to activate a network that, in my case, already existed thanks to my landlord.

And don't get me started on the service I received for the year anyway. It's less than your average cable and the system is not at all intuitive. You pay a premium to receive subpar technology and yet they don't understand why I don't want to transfer my service to my new home.

The same thing happened to me i they put 385.00 through my account with out my authorization and i called my bank and reported a fraud case they told me this happens a lot from dish network. I also, tried to call dish network and they said they wouldn't refund the money i got so frustrated so i hung up on them but if anyone goes through this def call your bank because its fraud and they cant put the charge through with out your authorization.

Hi there,

My name is Alicia, I am with DISH Network. I apologize about the confusion with the charges. Any time a customer participates in a promotion we require a 24 month agreement, the cancel fee would be enforced if a customer elects to cancel before the fulfillment of the agreement. Most companies have cancel fees however, unlike most companies we prorate your cancel fee; so if you do choose to disconnect you are rewarded for the time you did stay with us When you cancel services the equipment has to be sent back within 30 days to avoid additional charges. When a customer opens up an account we advise them that we require a debit or credit card to be placed on file, in case the account is closed and the equipment is not returned or if there is a cancel fee. If the account is closed due to non-payment the card is charged for the equipment. Once the equipment is returned or the account is restarted we can credit the account. If you have any other questions please let us know.

Alicia Brink

Executive Offices of DISH Network

Alicia.Brink@DISHNetwork.com

Alicia,I do not have a Dish Network subscription but with all the negative posts about experiences that people have had with Dish Network, I am probably not someone who would want to take up the service either.There are however a couple of things I do need to mention, in fairness to Dish Network:Firstly, when a receiver has not been returned to Dish Network after the cancellation of the account, Dish Network can legally collect the rental for the receiver. Think of the case when you lease your car to somebody and they return it a month late - you are legally entitled to the rental for the additional month. The same applies to the received from Dish Network as well. By delaying the return of the receiver, the (former) customer causes lost revenue for the firm and is therefore liable to Dish Network. However, the customer has to be informed of how to return the receivers - if the boxes are shipped automatically and the customer receives them, there is an obligation for the customer to send the receivers back. Some posts to this thread indicate that the customers didn't receive the boxes so were unaware of how to send the receivers back.I do not agree with the other practices by Dish Network, such as increasing prices without notifying the customer especially when the customer has cancelled his or her subscription, as mentioned in the first post in this thread by kvonarya (dated 22nd April, 2008).Signing up customers for a contract without informing them about the existence of the contract or that they are bound to the contract is not something Dish Network can legally do because there was no consent between the two parties. The customer should have had an opportunity to refuse the contract or should have had the ability to agree to the contract for the contract to be valid. Refer to the post by iGuest (posted on 23rd March, 2009) for the mention about the two year contract. Also, I would add that deliver firms often obtain customer signatures on PDAs to indicate that they have received goods or the equipment has been setup by a representative of the firm. However, the legality of the use of a signature on a PDA does seem questionable in the event of a law suit because the representative can state anything while obtaining the signature of the customer therefore there is no indication of the terms that the customer agreed to when signing a PDA. When signing a paper, the terms that the customer agrees to are right there on the paper.In cases when a box has been ordered from Dish Network and the customer has not received the box, I would expect Dish Network to provide the customer with an alternative means of sending the receiver - either inform them of an address that the customer can send the receiver to by a courier service, at the customer's expense, or to drive over to the Dish Network office and hand over the receiver. It may also be possible for Dish Network to offer to send across a representative to pick up the receiver, either at the customer's expense or at Dish Network's expense if the customer is not located too far away.I am not sure if Dish Network provides customers with the option of buying the receiver rather than providing them with the receiver for the duration of the service. The network I currently subscribe to has me buying a receiver and I do not have a contract - I can get a month's subscription whenever I come to stay and when I'm away, my subscription lapses and my provider simply turns off the service. I own the receiver so the provider does not require the receiver to be returned so it is less risk for them and more flexibility in terms of subscription for me. I believe it is common practice for the network to ask for their receivers when the service has been cancelled - charging the customer for the receivers without asking them to return them is unethical as well because as far as I know, most agreements only state that the provider owns the receivers and is entitled to ask for them to be returned at any time. The agreement with Dish Network may be different but if those are terms that the customer agreed to (legally, the customer agrees to the provider's terms by signing up if any of the forms say in print that the customer agrees to the provider's terms - he or she either has to ask the provider what the its terms are when subscribing or the provider has to state the terms, either of which would seem acceptable).