xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bobbybans

Turn Off Thumbs.db how to ...

Thumbs.db is a file that windows os create in some directories where are your pictures or video clips stored. Thumbs.db can be very annoying, especialy if you work a lot with your pictures or video clips. I decided to share with you, here on Xisto forum, my little trick how can you turn it off. 1. You need to go here: Start > Run > i you should write there gpedit.msc2. Then you should go to: "User Configuration/Administrative Template/Windows Components/Windows Explorer". 3. When you did it, now you will see on the bottom item named: "Turn off caching of thumbnail pictures."4. Now you should clikc double time on it.5. After that you need to clikc on "Enable" and after that you should click on "Apply" and you need to confirm clicking on the "OK".And that is all. I believe that you found this as useful article.Regards.

Here is another way of disabling the caching of thumbnails, -> Open the 'Folder Options' dialog box from Start > Control Panel > Folder Options or open Windows Explorer and select 'Folder Options' from the 'Tools' menu. -> In the 'Folder Options' dialog select the 'View' tab. -> Select and check the 'Do not cache thumbnails' option in the 'Advanced Settings' -> Click on Apply to All Folders and then on OKyou can safely disable thumbs.db if you don't mind waiting a few seconds for the images to appear in the Thumbnail view. You'll not be able to see any difference in folders with a few images. You'll see a little difference in folders with thousands of images. by disabling the Thumbnail caching you can save hard disk space.

Thank you very much! I hated thumbs.db It always takes up a lot of unnecessary space!

TY SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS I NEEDED IT my friend is looking for this he is so happy right now i respect you and you make more tuts plz your very specific and it helps alot of us understand more so that 1 thing thats nice but also you give it to us as like you had this problem but next time say why does this problem help but i liked it and it was usefull ty so much.

Edited by maplestory (see edit history)

Thumbnails issue

Turn Off Thumbs.db

I have a problem with a directory containing several images. I use the thumbnail view regularly, as it is far easier when trying to locate an image filename (I often remember the image, but rarely associate it with the filename). The problem is that most of the image thumbnails no longer represent that particular image and all seem to be muddled. I.E. The image opens fine when clicking on it, but the thumbnail image represents a totally different image within the folder. I though, perhaps, it was a corrupt thumbs.Db, but have tryed removing it without any success. Any ideas would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

-question by Richard