xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kobra500

Laptop Graphics Card Help

I know laptops generally have pci slots and you generally can't change the graphics card however do normal graphics pci express cards work in laptops. im actually talking about an GeForce 8600GT 512mb and this laptop Click Here I know it has a good Graphics card already but its not the one i want so... will it work?

No it won't work. Mainly because of the fact that laptop graphics CHIPS are actually CHIPS and they are integrated into the design of the motherboard that the laptop has...While a graphics card ISN'T integrated into a motherboard's design, and has more than just a graphics processing unit. So in short no, no unless you have a super-precise soldering kit, with ample room to work around on the motherboard (which is usaully very cramped, in terms of how close each component is...)

As csp4.0 said, you can't put a regular pci card into a laptop. I've heard of cards that can go in the express slot, but on a laptop, the only slot you can actually put any chips in is the pcmcia slot or the express slot, you either have one or the other. I wouldn't know where the express card graphics cards are, how much they cost, or how well they work, but I have heard about them; however, unfortunatly because of the way laptops are built it is very, very difficult to upgrade stuff, especailly the graphics cards. Some manufacturers like dell have a couple models that they can upgrade for you, but I don't think you can do it yourself even if you have computer knowledge, I am sorry.

Well I don't know to many express cards that are used for internet connection, TV tuner's and some recording devices. Like CSP 4 mention the graphics card is built into the motherboard, and so the only way to really change that out if you got some good skills in working in tight places, and able to replace the chip inside, which by the way is not recommended just because of the fact you could damage the motherboard yourself. You could get in contact with the company that built the computer and see if they can refurbish it, but even then it would have to be pretty damage in someway for that to happen.

You can actually upgrade a laptop's graphic chipset IF you have a newer graphic chipset handy to swap the older one with.I know because I've done it with a Dell Inspiron 8600 and a Dell Latitude D800.The only specific thing with this case is that I had two laptops with similar internal layouts handy. No one sells or offers video chipsets separately, and there are no aftermarket ones that I know of.So unless you have, let's say, a dead laptop with a better video solution than a working one and they share the same internal structure, there really isn't any other way to upgrade a laptop's graphics "card" that I know of.

Yes, you can actually upgrade a laptops graphics card, but only if its build with the mxm architecture. That is something that only a couple of new laptops have, it is called the mobile express module. I think it is only available with Nvidia though. If you would like to know if a laptop is mxm compatible just google your laptop's brand and model and add mxm to the end and search. You can also check the following webpage for more info: http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/