xisto Community
sl4y3r1980

Windows Vista, Better Or Not?

I've heard this: Windows Vista is more Invulnerable to viruses, trojans, hacks, and more. And I've heard this one: Windows Vista is not compatible on most Hardwares and softwares, and Windows Vista isn't more invulnerable to viruses. Which one is right..?Thanks for your postings

Windows vista gives a better sense of security; however, on the beta when microsoft wanted people to hack it so that they can find vulnerabilities, it was hacked within 24 hours. And better yet, Microsoft basically called her a cheater and said that it didn't count because of the way she did it. There are already plenty of viruses out for Vista and it was hacked in 2 days at a national hacking convention a few weeks ago. Windows XP wasn't in that contest though, so I couldn't tell you how windows XP really stands up with Vista; however, due to the requirements of vista, in my eyes, windows xp is much better, just because it has more compatibility with windows programs and it runs so much smoother. If you really want to the cool effects you see in vista, get Ubuntu linux, it can do all that and more, it just can't run windows programs natively, which vista has problems doing right now anyways. To get a better view on things. When I got my new laptop I paid USD$2,200 for it and decided to try the vista that was installed on it. Within 3 hours I was sick of it and upgraded to windows XP. This laptop has 4 GB of RAM and a 2.5GHz core 2 duo, and it still lagged a bit. I would definitly suggest windows XP over vista and probably any other OS over vista with the exception of windows ME.

Windows vista OS is the worst OS I have ever seen.Because1.It requires minimum 512mb ram,2.It has very less supporting software,3.no scope for openning guest account

If someone had a choice between the two, and they weren't worried about spending more money when they have to buy Vista a few years down the road, I'd suggest Windows XP Pro. The only issue is that they are going to discontinue support for Windows XP in a couple years. XP Pro will get support a little bit longer, and then they will switch entirely over to Vista. Granted, I'm not sure if its even possible to purchase copies of XP anymore. If they haven't discontinued it already then they will be doing so in the near future. When I bought my copy of XP Pro it was the last one they had at that Best Buy.

If someone had a choice between the two, and they weren't worried about spending more money when they have to buy Vista a few years down the road, I'd suggest Windows XP Pro. The only issue is that they are going to discontinue support for Windows XP in a couple years. XP Pro will get support a little bit longer, and then they will switch entirely over to Vista. Granted, I'm not sure if its even possible to purchase copies of XP anymore. If they haven't discontinued it already then they will be doing so in the near future. When I bought my copy of XP Pro it was the last one they had at that Best Buy.

They'll discontinue windows XP in late summer I believe and stop support by 2010. This enrages me because most people have to buy new computers to use windows Vista and they're going to leave security holes in an OS that is used by about 50% of the market or more. I, being a computer nerd, will survive without support since I know more about computers than anybody on the microsoft support phone anyways, but many users on XP don't know how to keep safe and will switch to vista thinking it's safer and then complain about it being too slow and either have to spend more money to buy a new computer or they'll switch to apple, or they'll just moan about it. Microsoft, owning over 90% of the consumer market needs to think about the user rather than themselves, when you are the only real player there, you have to make your users happy to keep them, I see microsoft's market share dropping in the years to come, especially if windows 7 isn't any good either.

but, I hear that DirectX 10 for Windows XP has come. And I have download it, but when I have finished the DirectX 10 install, like nothing happens, and when I check in Run > dxdiag.exe, The info displays the version of DirectX is still 9.0C.The questions, what should I do...?

Well lets start off by correcting a few of these posts1. asglu - Vista needs 1 gig to run properly, 2Gb to run smoothly.2. asglu - that was true at the beginning but with the use of updates and patches are fixing that problem. Hard to say what the open source community is doing to work their problems out with the Vista softwaresl4y3r1980 you could say that it is a lot tougher for the old stuff to work on Vista, however, it don't take much for a noob computer user to download a trojan and that opening the doors for all hackers a like. Of course with the Storm worm creating havoc right now, vista users will have a harder time if they get locked out of their admin account. because of the UAC program.Well word has it that Windows OS 7 is coming out next year, because everyone has dubbed it the new Windows ME, and even Microsoft knows that, and so hopefully they won't make a mistake this time with the new OS being a resource hog like Vista is. As for your problem with the DirecX I know I saw that problem before about PC, but I think it has to do with your graphics card, and so you might have to get a new one that accepts DirectX 10 on it.I say give it another year before Microsoft changes its mind on XP and continue it untill Windows 7 is ready, and does a better job then vista.

What I would say that it depends on what you'll use the computer for, If you're using it basicly like just browsing the web etc... However if you are using it for gaming,video editing or some stuff and you want a 'cool'er interface, try out Vista. But remember, Vista needs some recent hardware to run it smoothly ^_^

Well if the hardware is about 1-1 1/2 years old, starting from 2007, then you shouldn't have to many problems getting it installed and running, but anything older and you might have problems as the lack of support might make it hard to get anything old then the time frame I mention to work properly. Of course the next catch is that anything recently new, 0-6 months old, should have a nice Vista compatibility sticker somewhere, and if doesn't shouldn't matter much as the hardware companies are get al lthe patches they need to make the hardware work for vista.

Does anyone find it funny that Internet Explorer 8 is already in the works? And OS7 is on its way? I believe Vista has only been out for over a year (January 2007) and Internet Explorer 7 has been out for a little over the same (October 2006).Guess Microsoft is either on the ball with trying to develop something bigger and better already, or they've already given up on their own past projects.

Does anyone find it funny that Internet Explorer 8 is already in the works? And OS7 is on its way? I believe Vista has only been out for over a year (January 2007) and Internet Explorer 7 has been out for a little over the same (October 2006).
Guess Microsoft is either on the ball with trying to develop something bigger and better already, or they've already given up on their own past projects.

IE8 & OS7 = Well, it is still in the first stages, I wouldn't be surprised as Microsoft wants to get back on track I guess.They don't pay attention to Vista anymore and whatever was behind them to make Windows 7 ^_^ I just hope this is worth the wait because I'm skipping Vista and straight jumping to OS7 :P

I have windows vista since 2007, I have installed one time once, and not formated my pc after I install vista, windows vista is very good, in recovery systems, and more invulnerable from viruses, spywares, is the better, wich windows defender, no comments. :lol:

Windows vista OS is the worst OS I have ever seen.Because1.It requires minimum 512mb ram,
2.It has very less supporting software,
3.no scope for openning guest account

The worst part about it isn't even that it takes 512 mb of ram. Ram is cheap these days. But that even with 1-2 gb's of ram it lags out horribly a lot of the time.

On top of that, for some unknown reason - even with a fresh Windows install - Vista taxes my CPU hardcore. I can easily get a quad core 2.4 ghz up to 40% on all 4 cores even while just idling. I don't understand why.

Same thing goes with the hard drive. It's as if it is constantly working even while it shouldn't be.

In terms of supporting software...For the most part those issues are fixed now. There are not many programs I can find anymore that won't work on it. At the same time, though, they run much, much slower on Vista than on XP.

Windows Vista is actually good on my computer (well, maybe a 1 in a million chance, but there are still those 100 people who have a good time with it), but as soon as I get the DVD burned, I'm getting Kubuntu 8.04 installed.