xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tricky77puzzle

How To Make A Double-voice Effect DVS, I call it.

Here, I'm going to teach you how to do an effect that changes a voice so that it sounds like it has two different pitches. (I call this the "Double-Voice Effect", or DVE.) You may have seen this effect in use before, in a movie or two. I first saw it on a Japanese TV show that I happened to find on Youtube, part of the "Rockman.EXE" series. This effect may not be desired in some cases.

Step 1: Get an audio editor

And an advanced one, not one of the crappy ones like T-Player. I mean one like Audacity or Rezound. Adobe Audition may be overkill, but you can do some extras with it.

Step 2: Record a voice

You need a voice to do the effect on. It should work with any type of voice. You'll need a microphone for this. If you have a prerecorded file that you would like to try it on, skip this step.

Step 3: Import the WAV file

Usually prerecorded voices come in MP3's. Don't worry, the steps are the same. Import it into Channel 1 (Track 1), and cut out all the background noise. You don't want that to be two-voiced as well.

Step 4: Modify a second voice.

Copy the first channel (track)'s sound into a second channel (track). Now there is no need to modify the first one, unless you want to synchronize both of them in some other way. Now comes the fun part. Go to "Change Pitch", or "Pitch Shift", and pitch-shift the note to "x1.25 Hz" (up about 4 semitones). You can change this value as you please, but keep it above x1.1 Hz. Otherwise there is no distinct difference between the two "voices", or the difference sounds so horrible that you want to rip your teeth out. You could also pitch-shift it down, but keep the ratio that you pitch-shift it at above x1.1 Hz, either way.

The pitch ratio can be anywhere between x1.1 Hz and x1.85 Hz. Anything above that and the voices sound so different that it doesn't sound like a similar voice anymore.

Now play the voice clip. It should sound like there are two similar voices talking.

Step 5: Add other effects, if you want.

You can add different effects, such as a "rumble" or a distortion. However, be sure not to include any time-bends or speed-shifts, because this will ruin the double-voice effect, making it an "echo" instead of an overlapping voice. As well, if you're going to modify the second voice a little more, be sure not to distort it too much, as this will also ruin the effect.

Have fun with this!

Edited by tricky77puzzle (see edit history)