xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sonesay

Os X Leopard Upgrade/full Install

I am running OS X 10.4 right now and am looking to upgrade to Leopard soon. I was browsing online for OS X and came across two types one that listed as being an upgrade only requiring you to have 10.4 already installed I believe and one that did not list any requirements. Obviously the one listing no requirements seemed the better option but I would like to know if this is correct. If I just get the version that doesn't specifically say I need 10.4 installed as a requirement(upgrade version). Will the other one do both upgrade and full installations of OS X? I just want to be sure so if anyone can verify this please.ThanksSone.Edit: Oh by the way does OS X ship with serials? Maybe a obvious answer to this question but I don't know for certain.

Edited by sonesay (see edit history)

I just brought Leopard from the store 2 days ago and installed it. It did the upgrade and so far my existing applications seem to continue to work which is awesome. I was able to get iphone SDK installed and run my very own virtual iphone :lol:. I haven't had much time to look into it because of assignments but I will hopefully try and make my own one day.

OS X Leopard costed me $199 NZD retail here so its a bit pricey but worth it I guess. Its has a lot more features then 10.4 so yeah. There was no serials provide it just installed straight away from the DVD. I am wondering how they implement their security to prevent people pirating. The disk is over 4.7 GB so you can just copy it with any old burner and DVD. After the install I was about to register my info well update but it took so long during the connection phase to the internet then I just canceled it and rebooted to do some updates. It never prompted me again to register my updated info. Is this not necessary? I'm puzzled at how OS X implements its registration process and prevent people from passing on that DVD to do another install on other machines. I've seen OS X Leopard DVDs on sales on auction sites but I wonder if they are just reselling the DVD since they already installed it and no longer need it.

Not that I plan on reselling mine but I would just like to know what is the deal. My sister has an imac and I am wondering if it would be ok to use that DVD to install on hers. I didn't buy the other one where it said something about being a family pack.

Posted Image

Update:

after reading this http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/leopard-single-user-vs-family-pack.371714/ I take it apple does not enforce any licensing procedures on you and trust you will purchase the right number of copies you intend to install them on. Thats probably why people are reselling the OS back in auction sites.

post-45102-1206320088_thumb.jpg

I usually don't do upgrades just because a fresh installation or the full version would be better just because you don' know what kind of problems you could run into if you install the upgrade. Although I am bit shocked that you haven't had any problems with leopard just because when it first came out, problems for the new OS were popping out of no where. So I guess you were one of the lucky ones that didn't have any problems. With my knowledge of Mac OS or the lack there of, I believe apple doesn't do the serial numbers, or set the amount of times you can install an OS before you have to by a new one (Vista). I know Watermonkey is a Mac freak so you may want to get a hold of him to talk about leopard.

Even though you can, it is never a good idea to sell back a copy of your OS. That disk is extremely important even if you already installed it. If you ever forget you administrator password, need to reformat, want a disk to boot off of so you can do things such as defrag etc... you will need to keep your leopard disk. You have no idea how many times I've gotten calls at the apple store of people who have a problem where the solution would be a mac os x install disk and they have giving theirs to a friend or lost it.For the piracy, you must remember that the os x install disk is not just any old dvd that you can just copy onto another disk by dragging the files over. You MAY be able to make a copy using disk copy but I'm not too sure i've never tried it. But why are you trying to pirate apple software anyway? I think leopard is well worth the $129 USD for all the extra features you are getting.

I'm going to keep it like I do with most my possessions I do not like to sell things back even though I could in this case and make some money back from it. Its cheating in a way if I do do that but I'm not going to. Your right if I need the disk again in the near future I will be in trouble and the price I paid for it is reasonable enough. A lot less cheaper then windows OS. Apple just seems to amaze me by not enforcing any restrictions on you and trust you will not violate the agreement. Since you can only use it on a mac and they are making their money off selling hardware anyway piracy wouldn't really affect them as it does Microsoft.

I got 10.5 leopard os today .. but I bought a mac computer from my school so its the first time i've ever had to install a operating system into it. Does anyone know if leopard loads on mac once turned on? there is currently no OS in my comp what so ever. And im a newbie at mac so ne help? I've been using PC all my life. Its fustrating me. I read a few manuals and stuff on the net saying you have to hold on to C when u restart ur comp, however my comp isnt even working so i can't press restart in the first place. Only turn off and turn back on. so how is it gona work? I need it for uni and now i don't have anything. felt like the computer was jst a waste of money. The computer I bought is a G5 , 1.6ghz power processor, 1.2 gh ram

So the G5 is not running any OS? I am sure the OS X cd will do a clean install but I don't know the procedure just yet. I installed mine with an OS X 10.4 already on it so It was pretty much automatic once I put the CD in.

Found it!

The alternative way to start the install process is to boot directly from the DVD, without first mounting the installation DVD on your desktop. Use this method when youre having problems and youre unable to boot to your desktop.
1. Start your Mac while holding down the option key.

2. Your Mac will display the Startup Manager, and a list of icons that represent all of the bootable devices available to your Mac.

3. Insert the Leopard Install DVD into a slot-loading DVD drive, or press the eject key and insert the Leopard Install DVD into a tray-loading drive.

4. After a few moments, the Install DVD should show as one of the bootable icons. If it doesnt, click the reload icon (a circular arrow) thats available on some Mac models, or restart your Mac.

5. Once the Leopard Install DVD icon displays, click it to restart your Mac and boot from the installation DVD.

thanks so much.however I've gotten into a screen that i need to type in a password. SIGHSSSSSSSS.. I didnt get the password for that yet. so i guess i have to wait. but im sure ill be back on here cause im so noob at installing mac os .EDIT:I got my computer to work now thanks alot. Just for people that do buy their comps from their uni or something. if there is a password. open up ur tower and press a button in the bottom corner. to reset your motherboard. :)it worked for me. :D and leopard works great. i installed an older version but it didnt work. but no complaints. seeing how got leopard lol :D

Edited by keego (see edit history)

so youOs X Leopard Upgrade/full Install

I'm not too smart with this stuff, but u guys are telling me if I could burn another dvd of leopard, I could use it again and again and it wouldn't mess up the computer?

-question by Jake

You probably couldn't do it.As for Leopard, I'm going to get it once Snow Leopard comes out because the price will be lower and Snow Leopard won't work on anything less than an intel processor (as far as I know of) which I don't have. Currently the computer I'm in just barely makes the 10.5 restrictions, so I think 10.5 will be worth it.

installation of OS leopard Os X Leopard Upgrade/full Install

hi, 

I just upgraded my OS tiger to Leopard. I chose the upgraded version without reading the other options.

So right now, I actually wanted it to reformat my entire tiger OS, by putting it under the previous system.

Am I able to do so using the family pack of Leopard OS. WIll the rest of the license be affected since I'm sharing it with my friends.

That's my main concern.

Thanks so much if anyone can help me out with this.

-question by Dolcebrown

regular mac os x 1-10.6 yes that right system 1 through mac os x snow leopard do not require a serial what so ever how ever this is only for regular mac os but server version of any mac os I pretty sure 10.1 and up do require a serial for as many as one client serial to infinent client serial number so to summarize you don't need a serial for regular mac os what so ever but server does require a serial hope this helps for the serial question 

also I would go with buying the mac os x leopard with the system requirements just to make sure and usually mac os x 10.5 is compatible with 10.4 to upgrade and works on ppc*

* requires specific speeds of ppc processors