xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Mod_rewrite Apache helps with search engine indexing

Yes it is true that you can't create file names beggining with"." which is why you should create a file on your windows system like 1.htaccess then upload it via ftp or file manager. Then rename it on your non-windows server to .htaccess using your ftp manager or file manager (in cpanel).

Since the majority of servers are mostly linux/Unix (because they are cheaper) you probably won't have any problems.

Xisto does allow mod_rewrite as we have apache installed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so you're telling my I have a special copy of windows that allows me to save files beginning with a dot? whatever... i don't have to prove nothing. believe what you want. sheesh.

No you are misunderstood no9t9, I simply mean that the majoity of peopel such as I cannot create files with "." at the beggining of the file, on windows xp sp2 i get the following error:(X) You must type a file name.So i was merely suggestiong a solution for users such as me who want a quick solution which works. Their is other ways of avoiding this but I don't wanna go off the topic of mod_rewrite.:rolleyes:

Let's summaraize!You can create a file called .htaccess with Windows, as long as you have some program (like notepad or similar) do it.If you try to do it "by hand" by right-clicking somewhere and choosing New->Textfile and calling it .htaccess you'll get an error mesage.Preferred solution: Do what no9t9 said, save a file using notepad (or similar).Alternative solution: Do New->Textfile. Call it <something>.htaccess, upload it, rename it on the server.In either case: Problem solved.

LoL no9t9 is a bit grumpy, i actually forgot to mention about using a PROGRAM to save your file as another file type, (I apologies for not reading your post no9t9, I must have eben pre-occupied) :rolleyes:.Thankyou for summarising bjrn we were getting a little off topic. In this case no9t9 solution is the better procedure, being quicker.However now we have finally discussed how to get/create a .htaccess file we should now create further additions of mod_rewrite which could be used. :)