xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CiniMen

Special Ed Why is it that some teenagers are so self interested

I hate it when I am walking down the hallways at school and then I see some in special education. I feel so bad for them because they don't really have any friends and whenever someone sees them they get funny looks. I think that students today are to self concerned. They don't pity the kids that are different then them they just think they are strange and then keep walking. Maybe it is because they don't understand the differences so they just throw it off there mind. Other people simply just don't care about anyone else. I wonder how it would feel being someone in special ed to get some acknowledgment. I am not saying that this is true about all people, but it seems like the majority to me. Please post your points of view on this topic it would be much appreciated!

A lot of people in SED are in there because they were deemed "not normal" by adults in the school system. It's not necessarily that they're dumb (i.e. can't read or write) or because they have trouble with certain academic courses (though that may be the case for some). Many people in "mainstream" classes have changed the acronym SED to mean "Stupid Every Day"—this further prolongs the looking down upon of those within SED classes. But don't be too down or sad for them, as these kind of classes have benefits that the other "mainstream" classes don't. For example, these classes are usually smaller in size with less students than "normal" classes, and usually have two teachers for each class. This means the students are capable of attaining the proper support from teachers in their academics studies, where in a big class the one teacher cannot give their attention to all the students, which this has been known to be one of the causes as to why some students don't do well in their courses. There are other benefits that may cause "mainstream" students to envy SED students, but i won't mention them.

I was in Special Ed or LD class in high school. When I first entered the class, I was in 5th grade when I was told I would be "transfering" in the class. I met a class mate Doug Stewart and to this day 25 years later we are still friends. The notion of not having any friends is false. Although the kids did pick on us on a daily basis. Which is not anything knew in any generation, I have a 10 year old son and he gets picked on. I had some problems with math and even though I wasn't "mainstreamed" I did learn my math and everything else. I stuttered really bad when I was younger and I was very shy towards people. I still stutter but I talk a lot. :P My twin brother was in Mainstream classes like everyone and I was very jealous. I was in a classroom for the whole day just like grade school. We have our 20th year High School Reunion this year. Looking forward in seeing everyone again!

When I was in school there were one or two students in particular, who seemed to be doing okay, who a few years later wound up in special class. Nobody appeared tonotice any thing particularly different about them.When they wound up in special class, nobody bugged them or anything. Perhaps a few peoplewere suspicious of them, or even curious. I never bothered asking them any questions about the special class though. I guess it would of seemed impolite.

I don't know how the students in special class deal with the situation of being isolated in their own class.Wouldn't it be more appropriate to have them in a school for special education rather than a class amongst other students?I have friends who grew up in such schools and they were doing fine.