xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Joshua

Job Site Colors alright?

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I've had this site for a while but have been starting to question whether I perhaps should change the colors to something less vivid and more neutral like navy blues, greys, etc.

Do you think it needs to be changed, and if so, to what?

Also, if you have any thoughts on site features or constructive criticism about the site, that would be appreciated too.

Well the colours blend, but green isn't the best colour to use anywhere, try blues and white, or bronze,red and black.Er did you know that the buttons are so tiny that you cant read them? something to work onHope this helpskarlos

Well in order to make green work effectively you want to use colors of orange, white, off white, darker or lighter green to give it some contrast and maybe some dull yellows. Usually blue doesn't work effectively, and with those buttons you have really don't go well with the green either. However, on the professional website you need a tad more work in the design area, though it looks simplistic, you have plenty of room to add a bit of wow factor to your site as well.

Not a bad site but theres a number of things that you could do to make it more appealing. The colors of green light blue and white don't go well together. It looks too plain and bright. I suggest you play around with some colors that are more softer on the eyes. The header seems OK but try and make a logo or something instead of it just being plain. If you cant think of anything put your name up there at least so it looks like a title. I think also playing around with the content fonts will make your site a bit more attractive. It doesn't have to be too fancy just something a bit different. Maybe color or size adjustments. Don't be afraid to try mixing it all up, maybe you will come up with a combination that works. Its all part of the process of getting your site just that little be closer to goodness/great. Good luck I'm looking forward to see what you'll do to it.Sone

Alright, thanks for all the advice! To Karlosantana: I might try blues and whites for the scheme. Are you sure the buttons are too small though? I always stick to a 1024x768 screen resolution so maybe it doesn't work well with other resolutions. I tried some other resolutions though and didn't see any problems, are you sure about them being too small? I noticed the flash menu looks better in IE than Firefox for some reason, and the colors show up better. Maybe it's a browser-specific problem?To SaintMichael: Thanks for the color ideas! Maybe I should try some more work on the design itself just because the JPG's can load at slightly different speeds which doesn't always look the greatest when loading, although fortunately it loads pretty fast.To Sonesay: I suppose putting a name up there could work but I worry it would distract from the site itself, and I'm not sure it's needed for a job site. Maybe it's just because I'm used to thinking in terms of flashy banners though, and a simple plain text banner wouldn't look too bad.

I think the site looks nice and tidy, not overloaded with flashy stuf, it is also easily accessible and user friendly.However, one thing bothers me a little bit: I think it looks a bit messy the way you put that small table on the homepage, the one which gives your name, location and age. A pity it looks like it is squashed inside the main body of the text. Maybe you could try having it centrally underneath the main body, above the copyright notice, or maybe underneath your picture, above or below the square that tells you the date the site was created and last updated, or why not put all that information into one table underneath your picture? Apart from that, a good effort.

I think the site looks nice and tidy, not overloaded with flashy stuf, it is also easily accessible and user friendly.

However, one thing bothers me a little bit: I think it looks a bit messy the way you put that small table on the homepage, the one which gives your name, location and age. A pity it looks like it is squashed inside the main body of the text. Maybe you could try having it centrally underneath the main body, above the copyright notice, or maybe underneath your picture, above or below the square that tells you the date the site was created and last updated, or why not put all that information into one table underneath your picture? Apart from that, a good effort.

Huh? For me it shows it below the picture... I can't help wondering if it's displaying differently for me on my computer based on some of the comments I'm receiving.

It should be showing up as this on Internet Explorer, right?

Posted Image

And as this on Firefox?

Posted Image

Well, the site looks good to me, neat and easy to get to places.But it's looking dull at the same time you could change the background to somthing catchy.How about trying to get some attracting color into it... I suppose that would work...Cheers <_<

Hey, You Should change first thing the navigation menu on the left.The purple whit black does not contrast well, that comes because both colors are pretty dark flowed, So that will make I less more attractive too read, so the readebillity wil go downnnn wich makes it not a good menu :P-reply by Tedd

The colors are OK but nothing special. I think that I would try keeping the colors (since you seem to stand by them in your FAQ and have a bright personality) but changing how they are displayed. The shapes and the quality of the graphic work have definite room for improvement. The links along with the rest of the site look like they are outdated. If I have extra time, maybe I will sketch up something to contrast your current site.