xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
GrinningKittie

Versatile Mexican Filler Arriba

I was in the kitchen today cooking up some taco meat. Actually I subsituted pork for the beef. It's real easy to whip up. You get about a pound of meat and some taco seasoning ( I use the Taco Bell Seasoning Packets). Follow the directions on the packet ( basically cook up the shredded meat then dump water and sauce powder on it and simmer).Then it hit me......I could ADD stuff to this. So I chopped up a green pepper, a red pepper, and half a white onion ( courtesy of my food processor....I LOVE That thing!) and dumped it all in with the marinating meat on the stove. As I cooked it I thought of several things I could do with this filling.....1- Grab a bowl of nacho chips, dump filling on top, sprinkle with shredded cheese and microwave for a moment to melt the cheese. MMMM! Maybe even add sour cream and olives (if you are into olives).2- Grab a soft tortilla, fry up on stove, dump filling and cheese in tortilla, fold tortilla over ( like an omellette) and WHA-LA! Quesadilla!3- Grab a soft tortilla, dump filling on it, dump some refried beans on it ( after they have been warmed up in a pan on the stove of course), maybe add some sour cream or cheese and Ta-da!!! Burrito supremo!4- Grab a baking dish ( one of the large 9x11 ones) put a layer of refried beans down, dump the filling on beans, add a layer of chips, add a layer of cheese, top off with more peppers and bake in the oven at 350 for about 12 minutes and whoohoo! Mexican bake chip n dip casserole!5- Tacos.....after all this is what the filling was supposed to be used for in the first place right? LOL!

Well, it reads more like a very Americanized version of Mexican food, but heck it was an easy bite. It made me think of Taco Bell, thats pretty Mexican I guess (well only if you aren't Mexican). Okay, lets not get into how Mexican was this... but you forgot the most important part of the Mexican food.... you can't have tacos without salsa :lol: If you ever want some tips on how to make a nice salsa just ask for it, I'll be glad to help you out

Sorry about the Americanized version. It was quick and easy though.....Thanks for the offer on salsa dips. I just found a lot of interesting recipes online categorized as "salsa" and I have been trying my hand at those ( so far no complaints from the household).I always thought salsa had to have tomatoes in it.......does it? Because these recipes, like I said were under the category of salsa and all...however....well for example one used apples, green onions, lemons and jalepenos. Weird combo if you ask me, however like I said the whole house ( and even some drop by guests) enjoyed it.

Yes, the tomato is to mild down the spiciness of the salsa. As fact that example is a pretty weird salsa, probably it was a bit sweet, but hey as you say if it tastes good why complaint about.

LOL!I thought it was a weird one but after my husband showed me a "mango " based salsa at the store ( and bought it because that man will eat anything at least once lol!) I was na too sure what exactly constituted as a "salsa". Thanks for the info!^_^

Apparently a salsa nowadays is a combination of various fruits/vegetable/spices minced together ^_^ Haven't tried out a salsa with mango yet, but I bet it was good. Well usually I don't make different salsa other then the more traditional ones.