xisto Community
coolcat50

Gimp Abstract Signature Tutorial Brushes required

In this tutorial I will be showing you how to make a abstract signature in GIMP. I have a lot of images for this so bear with the loading time.

First, you need to make a new image. I think 400x100px is a good signature size. I used these settings.

Posted Image

You should have a blank white canvas. We will start out our sig by brushing up a quick background. I came out with this:

Posted Image

Next, we will make a new layer. We will do more brushing on this layer. I used these settings:

Posted Image

Start brushing with a different brush set. I ended up with this:

Posted Image

Select your first brushed layer, then proceed.

Ok, we have our brushing done, now to get the color. We will be using Color Balance which can be found under Color. A window like this should pop up:

Posted Image

Mix around with the colors a bit and make it look cool.

Next you want to select your second layer. You want to colorize this one. I used these settings:

Posted Image

I ended up with this color scheme:

Posted Image

Next you will want to make a new layer to darken the colors. Fill the layer with a dark color like dark green and use the Layer filters to make it blend. I used this color:

Posted Image

After messing with the effects and selecting one. I came up with this:

Posted Image

Next we will load up our render. I am using a Falco Lombarde render.

Posted Image

Place the render wherever you want and get it positioned right. I have this:

Posted Image

Next, we want to blend our render into the background. I will be using opacity to blend it in. I am setting my opacity for the render to about 80. It looks like this:

Posted Image

Ok, now we need to make a border. First, create a new layer. I used these settings:

Posted Image

Next we want to make a border as a selection. Go to Select -> Select All. Then go to Select -> Shrink. This will let you shrink your selection.

I used these settings for shrink:

Posted Image

Next, you want to invert the selection. Go to Select -> Invert. This will make the selection be a border. Now you want to color in the selection.

I used the gradient tool. Here is what I came up with for the border:

Posted Image

Next, we will add text. Pick a font and add some text. I used a small size with a fancy font. I ended up with this:

Posted Image

Now save it as an XCF file for future editing and as PNG for use as a sig. Here is the final product:

Posted Image

Thank you for reading my tutorial and good luck. Don't feel shy to mess around with GIMP. That is how I did this.

Edited by coolcat50 (see edit history)

Sweet, I've been thinking about making my own banner for my website and since I use linux I have GIMP and don't want to install photoshop, thanks for the tutorial, definitly gave me some help in some of the techniques to use.

Ok what do you think of this as a first? Remember it's a first so dont be harsh (please!!!)

Posted Image

It's a gift to evolke, I kinda didnt know where to start, so, I started with Evo- The prodest of noobs! na guys be nice to her! Shes awesome!

Remember it's my first!

Karlos

How to place render in the background?

Gimp Abstract Signature Tutorial

Ok,now I know how to make siggys but I still did'nt understand that you did you place a render in the background.I thougt to cut it but did'nt work.Can you tell me Please.

-reply by Tom collins

Dude you need a lot of work done1. The render doens't blend2.You need to make a better background(for that sig use a red background)3. Use some C4D'sBut don't worry for the rest it's goodBtw I'm a gfxer 2So I know these things~me2hack-reply by Me2Hack