xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bizchina

Net ?

Does anyone actually think that NET is a good idea? Doesn't it suffer from the Microft BLOAT we all love to hate ? And feature overload? And slow ? How about the vb for net - does anyone think its any good - and if so what do you like about it - and what do you hate about it. How does it compare to Delphi ?Is it good for building reliable applicaiton s?

I didn't use it for very long, but I can say that it is actually.... not reliable at all. I would spend a lot of time getting the program to work on my machine, only to have a friend test it out on his machine and be missing a .ocx. Pretty much any program you create in VB.net will only run on about 75% of all computers. Testing around my house, I would find i was missing some random dll or ocx and then replace it, and be missing a different one. After replacing hte second one, it said the first one was missing again and kept repeating... Probably one of the most annoying things ever. Dont waste your time.

Take my words..NET is far more reliable then u can think off. Its a gem of a technology.Microsoft has really devoted a lot of time to make it a super cool stuff. It really makes a programmer's job as easy as arranging blocks.Just to note down some of its features(Ignore Spelling misteakes Please.. )Huge Framework Library to support almost everything u can think off.garbage ColletionJust in time Compilation - Mind Well its CompilationPortablbilityCan be written in Many LanguagesTo add to stability - Garbage Colletion, Tested code, First Full Object Oriented Implementation by Microsoft, Solving problems like DLL Hell, Tight Integration using XML,Excellent WebSupport and lots more.well this is what I can think off right now.There are Many. If i was allowed to copy and paste I cud have filled the entire site. lol.

Does anyone actually think that NET is a good idea? Doesn't it suffer from the Microft BLOAT we all love to hate ? And feature overload? And slow ? How about the vb for net - does anyone think its any good  - and if so what do you like about it - and what do you hate about it. How does it compare to Delphi ?

Is it good for building reliable applicaiton s?

38940[/snapback]

Dot Net is a technology that provide you a framework to use different language to use the same library. Actually, It is slower that c++ because dot net need to run on the dot net framework. Alought the dot net framework make it slower. it provides a better and safer environment for the code to run.

Dot Net is a technology that provide you a framework to use different language to use the same library. Actually, It is slower that c++ because dot net need to run on the dot net framework. Alought the dot net framework make it slower. it provides a better and safer environment for the code to run.

213128[/snapback]

I dont think that is the case. its in no manner slower then C/C++. You get the feel becuz its Compiled just in time. But Its intelligent enough to cope up with that.

Actually lets see how the Just in Time compilation of .NET CLR works.

Initially Just in Time Compiler will compile the code taking into the factors like

-Hardware Performance boosters...I mean the advatages provided by the platform.

-iT compiles and loads only the function needed for use at that particular instance of time. And hence will not compile all the code and will not load all the things in the memmory

-Provides Automatic and Intelligent Garbage Collection

-and much more

It, I am sure, will be faster then C/C++

True that Small programs will run faster if built using C++ but for may be huge programs like database handlers, imaging and multimedia softwares etc, .NET will be faster,

Well.. Whether we like it or not, .NET technology will rule over all Microsoft products in future.. The next Microsoft operating system, Longhorn/Vista, is built based on .NET technology.. It definately will give a strong fight against Java API.. The .NET framework will also be free for download. Only it's developing tools, Microsoft Visual Studio, will be priced. However the latest Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition is now free of charge for download until November next year.. Free, yes it is free for download and we all can use that copy even after November 2006 without infinging any copyright rules or whatsoever.. Check out Microsoft Visual Studio website for the downloads..

Does anyone actually think that NET is a good idea? Doesn't it suffer from the Microft BLOAT we all love to hate ? And feature overload? And slow ? How about the vb for net - does anyone think its any good - and if so what do you like about it - and what do you hate about it. How does it compare to Delphi ?

Yes to all counts.
First, the .NET framework is very stable and the compatability between the languages is excellent. The programs created with it are a little slow on the FIRST run because they have to be compiled from the IL to machine code. After that, they run just as quickly as a program written in any other language (such as Java).

Second, as long as the user has the .NET Framework installed on his computer and the programmer has included all of the required files in the distribution, there should be no missing dll's. There are even options in the solution for distributing the framework with the application.

I like the .NET framework a lot. The only thing I don't like is that it only runs on Windows machines right now. However, I have a feeling that the Linux and Mac guys are working on a solution for this.

Does anyone actually think that NET is a good idea? Doesn't it suffer from the Microft BLOAT we all love to hate ? And feature overload? And slow ? How about the vb for net - does anyone think its any good - and if so what do you like about it - and what do you hate about it. How does it compare to Delphi ?

Is .NET a good idea?

It totally depends on your application.

For running a realtime system like a nuclear power plant? No.

.NET is slower than non .NET counterparts.

.NET runs on a virtual machine like java. Code is compiled to Microsoft Intermediate Language (MSIL). This code is then compiled and executed on the target machine at runtime. So it's going to be slower.

Also .NET languages are less secure - reverse engineering .NET code (which has not been obfuscated) is pretty trivial. So much rich information remains in the MSIL code regarding code structure and data structures etc.

You can obfuscate this of course, but that only adds a level of annoyance to any hacker.

BUT, .NET is a wonderfully rich language. Code is FAST to develop - the managed side of things means that you can "new" away to your hearts content any never worry about freeing the memory back.

So, basically, if you need speed at all costs or as highly secure code as you can make - don't use .NET

otherwise - use it.

Move to .NET is a good choice, .NEt hides many layers from us unlike PHPWe do need to code and mix several php file/html into one file and we does not know how to differ the UI from code. But in .NET the code .cs/.vb is different from the page UI or .aspx. We can even have a web control is a .ascx file and put this control into an aspx and override methods and so on. And morely we can even use masterpage which makes all our site have a fix design. Its powerful!ASP.net nows become favourite in building sites (imho), but due to the sql server license, it makes .net hosting become expensive, and make not available freely unlike php. This is the issue that we all knows, the money proof the quality

I think it's really good system because it has many functions builtin.It's perfect for Big Projects because complex functions for example for calculation, graphics are builtin.Maybe it's slow but a clone is allready made. It's name is mono maybe doesn't support all but it support the most functions of 2.0 and 1.0.P.S.:It's easy to use.

The net framework is very reliable.All the framework versions are fullybackward compatible except the second one,which for some reasonhas a few glitches. If a program doesn't run on all Microsoft compuers it's the fauktof the programmer and not the framework. .Net has been around for nearly seven years now.We are stuck with it regardless.

I didn't use it for very long, but I can say that it is actually.... not reliable at all. I would spend a lot of time getting the program to work on my machine, only to have a friend test it out on his machine and be missing a .ocx. Pretty much any program you create in VB.net will only run on about 75% of all computers. Testing around my house, I would find i was missing some random dll or ocx and then replace it, and be missing a different one. After replacing hte second one, it said the first one was missing again and kept repeating... Probably one of the most annoying things ever. Dont waste your time.

I would say simply don't have the libraries needed to execute the program you've got. Microsoft's .NET Framework can't do anything for you if you haven't got the libraries needed to run the program - it's the responsibility of the application developer to include the DLLs or OCXs as a part of the setup package. This is the case with just about any programming platform with only the file extension varying - with Java you'll need to have JAR class library files, with C/C++ you would need DLLs or SOs, with PHP you would need the dependent INC/PHP files. This is analogous to complaining about a car that doesn't run when you haven't got any tires on it!

The problem that Microsoft's .NET Framework does solve is the ability to have different programs run different versions of a particular DLL. You can have one application running v1.0 of a DLL while another application can run with v1.1 of the DLL.