xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
A200

Rain, Glorious Rain!

THIS IS GREAT NEWS.

Since 2003, South East Queensland (Australia) has been in drought- where it has limited rain. We have been under water restrictions since 2005, and on November 23, 2007, we went to Level 6 restrictions (before it was Level 5). I believe the worst of the drought was late 2007. Each day was cloudless, it hadn't rained for weeks over the catchments, there were talks of Level 7 in February 2008, and the new water projects weren't due to be completed for YEARS. (This is one thing I don't get. If we have been in drought since 2003, why didn't they start something then to get it completed about now?).

I remember seeing the ovals of our school go brown and dry, it was seriously brown. Some of the trees died and collapsed because their roots couldn't get enough water, and some paths around the place cracked from being dry for so long.

Our back garden looked horrible then, some plants were on their last legs, all the soil was dry. So things were pretty horrible.

Then in December 2007, we had a bit of rain- just a little burst that made people smile. Although it didn't add much water to the dams at all, it did make some things a bit greener (except it washed away some of the good soil from our backyard :D:D ). Then on January 2nd, it got all dark as big black clouds rolled over Brisbane and SEQ. And it rained. For 4 days nonstop.

People were absolutely flabbagasted, it added 5% to our regional supply, and most lawns went green very quickly. Our school ovals went green, all the trees looked lively too.

And now, this last week, it rained again. I looked at a radar of the whole region, and it was ALL GREEN (which indicates moderate rain).

Somerset Dam (our 2nd biggest) is at 80%. The last time it had that much was 2001! It now has more water in it than Wivenhoe does (which is our biggest) at 22%. So they are releasing water from Somerset to Wivenhoe, so Wivenhoe should increase sometime too.

North Pine dam increased a bit I think, although it isn't important as it isn't used at the moment (they had to shut it off from the system because it was almost bone dry and diseases started brewing).

In December 2007, our total percentage was at 19%. Now, it is at 39%, almost 40%.

If it reaches 40%, we are going to have a wet weekend (aka the state government will temporarily disable water restrictions and you can hose your cars etc.). While this is all good, we must remember that is isn't all over. There still is a chance that we might not have rain for months, so wasting a lot isnt a good idea.

And now there is talk of the Power Plants taking DRINKING WATER from Wivenhoe to cool their towers. This is one thing I don't get. Surely being in drought for years will make them reconsider doing this? If they can use recycled water, why not continue to use it? What a waste. But wivenhoe isn't at a high capacity, it is only at 22%. It still can't afford to loose large amounts of water.

I hope it rains more, so that Wivenhoe can fill up as much as Somerset did. :o

And I almost forgot- Hinze Dam, which supplies water to the southern GC (not the whole system) is now overflowing (aka more than 100%)

To solve this in the future, we need to be more water wise. Much more waterwise.
When the dams are at their proper levels, then we should have permanent water restrictions, but ones that prohibit stupid acts- hosing at midday, leaving the tap running, wasting water etc. The proper time to hose and use sprinklers should be in the early morning, so that it doesn't get immediately absorbed by the sun.

Rainwater tanks should be highly recommended for all existing homes, and compulsory for new homes. If we all used our tanks (when they are full) for hosing and garden use, or perhaps even in the toilet and washing machine, we could save a vast amount of water.
Edited by A200 (see edit history)

Damn im glad i live in the UK! Plenty of rain here, it rained most of the summer, brilliant for me, i hate hot weather!It does seem silly that they would use drinking water for cooling towers.... For a start there are better coolants out them im sure and as you say recycled water is just as good, it doesnt have to be clean, just free of debris etc... fools.im glad to hear its raining again! Lets hope all the dams get to a really good level!