xisto Community
tricky77puzzle

Where Does The Credit System Come From? I want to either get one or make one if I ever make a forum.

I'd like to use a "credit system" if I ever make a forum as well. It won't be used for anything else, but the works will be the same as (or similar to) this one. Say a user has 0 credits, then his/her account will be deleted, but not banned.The question I'm asking is, where did this credit system come from? How do I go on making one myself?

As I understand it, the Credit Sysytem is unique to the Xisto and Xisto (a sister site) as a method for determining Hosting Account status. I believe it has been written in-house by Opaque and possibly Vujsa, an Admin over at Xisto, but I am not certain about that. i know Vujsa wrote the Hosting Application script, but I digress...

AEF Forum Software has a Mod that is called the Bank Mod. It accumulates points for Posts, starting Topics, etc.
AEF can be found at http://www.anelectron.com/ and the Mod can be found at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It was all OpaQue on the credit script, and hasllip is correct that it was coded in house because it is very software specific (ie. IPB and the hosting software). The closest you will get to a credit system like this is the point system mods that people have created, and you will find them at invisionize as they have a mix of good point script systems and sub par scripts. Of course if OpaQue were to sell this script it would be for a hefty price because of how unique and customizable it is.

I just need something really simple like the bank mod that JLHaslip mentioned. Of course, that forum mod would require me to get the non-"standard" forum software that they have, and I want one for either invision or phpBB. Really, I'm just asking how the basic structure of the program works, whether databases are involved and stuff like that, and how I could make a simple one myself (nothing like hosting credits or secondary services. I just want to use it to keep forum members who actually want to stay on the forum slightly active.)

Clarifying imbibe's post, the forum software SMF has a system called "SMFShop - The Shop MOD". Adding it to your forum will give you a credit system which you can customise to give credits based on the amount of words and characters per post, and whether the post is a new topic or a reply. It also has a bank, so people can store the credits safely, and you can even give them intrest on the bank balances so they gain more credits by banking them. SMFShop also gives you a shop system that allows you to define rewards that members can exchange their credits for.The only difference is that SMFShop does not automatically deduct credits over time. You'll either have to do that yourself, or make a script to do it for you. But it's a good script, and I actually use it on my own Forum to judge the quality of user's posts. Reportedly, a similar script also exists for IPB Forums called "IBStore", which is apparantly what SMFShop was based on. But I've never tried IBStore myself, so I don't know if it's anything similar.

Edited by gameratheart (see edit history)