xisto Community
tricky77puzzle

What Is The Advantage Of Safe Mode Off? Why is safe mode off a good thing?

I've seen a lot of webhosts where a paid upgrade is "Safe Mode OFF". I know here at Xisto that it's turned off by default on all webhosting, but I'd just like to know, why is this an advantage? What features that are enabled are so important that they have to be disabled in safe mode?

OK I will take a stab at this, if I can remember correctly(its been so long since I was looking for safe mode off hosting) having safe mode off allows you to include files in?? :o if I am wrong someone can correct this.

I personally find a PHP configuration with safe mode on to be annoying. It has also been removed in PHP 6. You can find out everything about PHP's safe mode here: http://de1.php.net/features.safe-mode

A list of disabled functions in safe mode shows that mainly file operations and mail functions are the ones you would miss if safe mode was turned on. Generally, free hosting companies with 'instant activation' use safe mode to prevent spammers using the accounts to send spam emails, or to prevent them trying to attack the server with file operations.