xisto Community
KansukeKojima

A Mod Or Two To Cover The Night Life...

I would suggest that maybe, Xisto tries to find some of our members that not only fit the bill for a mod, but will be able to mod at night time.There are a few users like me that will stay up late into the night (somtimes all night) reading and posting on the forums. Unfortunately, most of the mods are usually not on this late. This could also hinder some of our members that live around the world. It slows down the hosting requests, and catgories (such as the Tutorials section) that need post approval.The moderators are a very important part of Xisto, and they help to keep if flowing smoothly. Again I suggest that Xisto finds some late night moderators, if at all possible, as it will keep the 'night traffic' flowing nicely... Well there is my suggestion.

More mods would be good and its not a bad suggestion to fill in during times where none are on but finding one who is qualified would be difficult. A mod needs to be mature, reliable, and knowledgeable enough about the rules to enforce them. There is probably some more important skills too like self control not to end up flaming noobs when they ask stupid questions and also very good people skills. I do not know anyone who would be suited at this role to be honest. I would not want us to have another mod just for the sake of it we may end up with more trouble cause by an unqualified mod if you know what I mean.

More mods would be good and its not a bad suggestion to fill in during times where none are on but finding one who is qualified would be difficult. A mod needs to be mature, reliable, and knowledgeable enough about the rules to enforce them. There is probably some more important skills too like self control not to end up flaming noobs when they ask stupid questions and also very good people skills. I do not know anyone who would be suited at this role to be honest. I would not want us to have another mod just for the sake of it we may end up with more trouble cause by an unqualified mod if you know what I mean.

Completely agreed. This may have already been the cause for not having a 'nocturnal' moderator (and more mods in general). I imagine that it is very difficult to find those suited for the job, as you said maturity, reliability, knowleagibility, and patience are all virtues in this area. Indeed, it would be a disaster if we had unqualified mods rampaging around.

So while, it really almost is necescery to have more mods (especially night time mods). But I think that if the admin, and some of the mods look out for someone who is consistently equiped to help people, etc. (all of the virtues you have stated above), I believe that Xisto maybe able to find one or two people to add to the ranks of moderator.

Thanks for the input on this matter sonesay.

Well, we Mods are always looking for some fresh talent. Most of the Mods here have been selected by the then-assigned Mods. And those are indeed the characteristics we look for. Rule knowledge is important, but more important is the 'skill' of non-confrontational conflict, fairness in applying those rules and a helpful nature. Additionally, a Mod needs to be reasonably knowledgeable about Hosting Services like cpanel, and some scripting experience is good, too. This helps them assist the members to solve their Hosting problems.As for the 'late night' coverage, it is important to remember that the Report Button is your best approach to communicating with a Mod. The system is designed such that a Mod is made aware of the Reports needing review as soon as they Log-in, so the Report is usually best handled using the Report button rather than the shoutbox or a PM to one specific Mod only.

This depends on which night time you are referring to. I'm in the UK, and there are always other mods coming online just as I go offline at night. As far as I am aware, the moderators are from a large variety of places across the world, so we can cover most of the clock.As jlhaslip said, the Report button instantly alerts us to any problems you've reported as soon as we log in. I also get notice of any new reports sent to my inbox, so I know pretty much straight away and can log in to see if anyone else is around to deal with it.

Hello Kansuke,

Thank you for the suggestion but appointing a few more moderators might be a bit like adding too many cooks to the soup.

As my fellow staffers have suggested about the report button which is always ready to be used :o I can also recommend that you send an email to Support atXisto dotcom if you see any issues that need to be reported, If you send an email here the issues are usually discussed with OpaQue who is the admin here :D

As rvalkass pointed out, night time depends on the person's location.. As for me, I am usually logged in but I do not have time to post or handle things immediately as I handle Xisto - Web Hosting issues.

Nowadays it is really difficult for me to be regular at Xisto as OpaQue is busy with a project and me working from home with a bad internet makes me focus only on the ticket system, so if you do not see any moderators online except for me I recommend the ticket system as the best option.

The ticket system has been set up so that members can send all of their doubts,queries,suggestions or even complaints whether it be against a fellow member or anything that is going on the forum...

To be honest, I have to agree with the OP on this one. While it's not always necessry to have a reply within 12 hours or so of a support request, it's certainly nice. And, indeed, it can be necessary at times. Now, this isn't a paid hosting service so Xisto has no obligation to have more people to help out members, it would be appriated nonetheless :PVelma, the reference you made to having too many cooks to a soup is understandable, however I don't think that Xisto is there. I've been there, but I don't think Xisto is yet XD

Well I will saw this since I work both spectrum's of the 24 hour life cycle, more or less, and I would have to say that here in the in the America's 10pm-7am is the the quietest, meaning that everyone on the other side of the world is usually at school and or working, and or faking sick (pointing to that person over there), and we are sleeping, well most of us anyways. Flip the clock over and thats where we are right now as I write this post, usually the peak of posting and shouting on this forum is from 3PM-8PM, and then its a free for all on who shows up and stuff after 10 pm.Heck I might have to edit this post later because I think I forgot what my point is and were I am going with this :P, Ok basically with the moderators that are here in the forum its evenly split on both parts of the world, and they do a great job and in my opinion of the 2007-2008 class of members I would see maybe 1 or 2 people tops that could do ok as a mod, after spending a few weeks leaning the ropes. That is out of about 2-3000 people that have signed up here during the time frame, and so its not the matter of finding more moderators its finding the right people to do that job.As for the hosting requests patience is required since the timing between a mod reviewing the application to the admin reviewing the application is never set, and with the tutorials a good thing to do is if you don't see a mod by the time you leave the forums for the day, PM a mod and let them know. Approving tutorials is almost the last thing to do on the list of mod stuff so just send in a reminder and it they will add it to their list of things to do and you should see it the next time you log on. Well from what I know hosting support does not come free and so paying them can be a tedious task especially what they make a year, and its a matter of "can I afford them or not". Of course the next problem is the help desk support and having an idea how many hosting account xisto supports altogether you have to wait your turn till they get to you.Patience is never easy especially when it comes to web hosting, but if you can build a good amount of patience the waiting won't be as bad.

Yeah, that's true. I don't mind waiting if it's just waiting for something that I don't need for my site. There have been times, however, where there was some strange stuff going on with my site that I needed help with. Of course, since this isn't paid hosting there's no obligation for round-the-clock support, it would just be nice :P