xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
galexcd

Triple Booting With Windows Ugh!

Ok so I've got Mac os X leopard, ubuntu, and windows XP all installed on separate partitions of my harddrive in my macbook pro. When I boot into mac and linux both see the windows partition labeled as "Untitled". This has always bothered me. Neither os has permission to rename the drive either. I'd like to have in named at least "windows", but if I could get it to say "crap", or "hell os", that would be even better. Also would renaming this drive not allow me to boot under XP anymore?

I believe you need a partition editor for that. Boot into Ubuntu, and try opening "parted", the partition editor.I forget how you go from there, but if you're smart enough to install a customized version of Ubuntu, I think you should be able to know how to use it.

I believe you need a partition editor for that. Boot into Ubuntu, and try opening "parted", the partition editor.
I forget how you go from there, but if you're smart enough to install a customized version of Ubuntu, I think you should be able to know how to use it.

Is doing this going to stop my windows partition from working?

By "Untitled", do you mean in the Grub bootloader or any boot loader? If so, you won't have to use any partitioner, you can just edit the bootloader configuration instead, and rename it.

By "Untitled", do you mean in the Grub bootloader or any boot loader? If so, you won't have to use any partitioner, you can just edit the bootloader configuration instead, and rename it.

No I don't mean the bootloader. Mac comes with its own bootloader built in. All you do is hold down option while starting up. When doing this I see the three drives with the operating system that is on it. I'm talking about seeing the other partitions once logged into the new operating system.

You do not need to rename the partition since you just need to to change the bootloader and what it calls the partition. You should be able to do this by editing and conf file. The only time you would need to rename the partition would be if in hte actual os the drive name is still Untitled. If this is the case, you can just rename it with the partition utility and everything will be ok. The name will not affect being able to load the partition or boot up since it is stored in a header at the beginning of the partition with a set amount of space.

You do not need to rename the partition since you just need to to change the bootloader and what it calls the partition. You should be able to do this by editing and conf file. The only time you would need to rename the partition would be if in hte actual os the drive name is still Untitled. If this is the case, you can just rename it with the partition utility and everything will be ok. The name will not affect being able to load the partition or boot up since it is stored in a header at the beginning of the partition with a set amount of space.

How about you read the whole topic before posting? (points to his previous post 2 posts up). And for renaming it, the partition utility doesn't have permission to rename it for some reason.