xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kasm

Why Chickens Lay Egg Almost Everyday

I have another question that is:

Why Chickens lay egg everyday at almost and without setting on them.

You know human women produce egg one each month and generally most of birds lay egg every specific period.

Ask your teacher if you are studying if you have not your own suggestion.

this is because in humans the genes in the DNA is designed in such a way that the maturation of the ovules be only at a period of month. The main reason is also of the life span, we human a life span of odd 100 years but for a chicken they have a very short life span. So nature has designed the DNA in such a way that chicken can lay more eggs in a short period of time in their lifespan.

Edited by vijeth (see edit history)

Lol, you are really interested in animal science. Your another topic was about livestock (sheep, goat, cattle) and your this topic is related to poultry.1st information for you that chicken do not lay almost every day. Only high yielding strains lay 250 - 280 eggs/laying year (normally). Now remember that laying year is not like calendar year (52 weeks). A laying year is about 60 week (it may be from 18 week to 82 week). So, they give about 250 eggs in about 420 days. 2nd information is that woman does not produce egg. No mammals produce eggs (only 1 exception). Ova and egg are not same, totally different. 3rd information is that, chicken is a special type of bird. Chicken is under poultry. The word poultry is designated those species of bird which render men an economic services and reproduce freely under there care. It includes chicken, duck, turkey, quell, pigeon, ostrich, guinea foul etc. And I mentioned before that only high yielding strain of chicken produce high quantity (250-280) eggs not pure breed or non-descriptive indigenous breeds. High yielding strains are developed in an artificial way by applying few tricks of genetics. They are not any breed or variety. To develop laying strain scientist are select high yielding breeds like Leghorn, Plymouth Rock, Cornish etc. Maintain pure line of this breeds they cross breed them to produce hybrid vigor (intermediate stages are Grand Parent, Parent and finally commercial layer). These commercial layers are genetically designed to produce eggs only. They use their all efficiency to produce eggs. But normal chicken do not produce so many eggs. Normally indigenous chicken produce 60 - 80 eggs (in our country). As other birds are not artificially genetically improved to a strain to produce eggs so they do not produce as much eggs as high yielding chicken strain.One more information for you, there is another type of chicken strain, which are developed for meat purpose. Broiler strains (meat type strain) normally do not lay eggs. So, please do not mix artificial and natural things. Artificially we can change many things very quickly, but naturally they don’t.

Edited by Tourist (see edit history)

"Hens begin laying at 18 – 20 weeks of age and a healthy chicken willlay about one egg a day. A hen does not need a rooster to lay eggs
and eggs are produced in response to day light patterns. The eggs we
buy in the store are not fertilized (they don’t hatch). The size of
the egg is dependant on the age of the hen. Older birds lay larger
eggs."

did you know???

ˇ There is no nutritional difference between a brown egg and a white egg.
ˇ Different breeds of birds lay a different colour egg. For example,
brown hens lay brown eggs and white hens lay white eggs.
ˇ A hen lays one egg at a time.
ˇ It takes 26 hours for the hen to make an egg.

There are few incomplete information in slave's last post.Hens begin laying at 18 – 20 weeks of age is true only for commercial layers, not for other hens. Parent stock starts laying at 22-24 weeks, even few hen starts laying after 50 weeks. Brown hens lay brown eggs and white hen lay white eggs are not really true. Roughly you can say egg color depends on ear color. Normally there are 2 ear colors white and brown. Brown eared hens lay brown eggs and white eared hens lay white eggs. Many hen of black color having white ear lay white eggs, not black eggs. Hens of brown color having white ear lay white eggs too, not brown eggs.I think reason behind to think that brown hens lay brown eggs and white hens lay white eggs is most commercial layer egg color is similar to their color. Like ISA brown, BV brown etc popular brown colored commercial layers produce brown eggs and BV-300, ISA white etc popular white colored commercial layers produce white colored eggs.

1st information for you that chicken do not lay almost every day. Only high yielding strains lay 250 - 280 eggs/laying year (normally). Now remember that laying year is not like calendar year (52 weeks). A laying year is about 60 week (it may be from 18 week to 82 week). So, they give about 250 eggs in about 420 days.

2nd information is that woman does not produce egg. No mammals produce eggs (only 1 exception). Ova and egg are not same, totally different.

3rd information is that, chicken is a special type of bird. Chicken is under poultry. The word poultry is designated those species of bird which render men an economic services and reproduce freely under there care. It includes chicken, duck, turkey, quell, pigeon, ostrich, guinea foul etc. And I mentioned before that only high yielding strain of chicken produce high quantity (250-280) eggs not pure breed or non-descriptive indigenous breeds.

..Normally indigenous chicken produce 60 - 80 eggs (in our country). As other birds are not artificially genetically improved to a strain to produce eggs so they do not produce as much eggs as high yielding chicken strain.

One more information for you, there is another type of chicken strain, which are developed for meat purpose. Broiler strains (meat type strain) normally do not lay eggs. So, please do not mix artificial and natural things. Artificially we can change many things very quickly, but naturally they don?t.

1. Thanks to "Tourist" for these information. We are here to learn from one to other.

2. It is appoximate matter when I say chicken lay egg everyday. and u told us ,they give 250 eggs every 420 days.

3. When I studied biology was in Arabic and they taught us and was written in books that women produce egg during their period . You call it Ova not egg. It is matter of terminology. I think Ova is egg in latin and when ova and egg will translated to another language then it will be the same word.

3. You explained to us that chicken like duck, turkey, quell, pigeon, ostrich, guinea foul etc are birds under poultry which mean those species of bird which render men an economic services and reproduce freely under there care. Then you explained how scientist are trying to increase production of these eggs.

4. Then in "vijeth" reply he/she that :

this is because in humans the genes in the DNA is designed in such a way that the maturation of the ovules be only at a period of month. The main reason is also of the life span, we human a life span of odd 100 years but for a chicken they have a very short life span. So nature has designed the DNA in such a way that chicken can lay more eggs in a short period of time in their lifespan.

I don't think the life span is the reason to chicken giving egg most of days. swallow, ducks , Dave are not giving daily but monthly. Dogs and cat are not breeding every day even they have the same life spam. Then saying that gens in the DNA is designed in such way will not answer the question. Because the DNA reflects the reality and still the question why?

5. Thanks to explanation but it is explanation to what is going on and not why. Exactly like we in science speak about gravity but we can't explain why it is 9.8 m/s (32 ft/s)

6. The question is still why chicken or other Why poultary birds gives these big amount of eggs?

3. When I studied biology was in Arabic and they taught us and was written in books that women produce egg during their period . You call it Ova not egg. It is matter of terminology. I think Ova is egg in latin and when ova and egg will translated to another language then it will be the same word.

Ovum (ova) is a haploid female reproductive cell or gamete.

An ovum in combined with its outer layer (it may be shell), internal membranes and nutrients for the embryo is the Egg.

Egg may be unicellular or multi-cellular but ovum must be unicellular. Naturally every eggs contains an ovum.

I think, now it is clear that egg and ova is not same.

6. The question is still why chicken or other Why poultary birds gives these big amount of eggs?

Egg production is depends on many thing. But the main thing is ovulation (releases of ovum from the ovary). Normally very ovulation results an egg. As chicken ovulate almost every day, so it gives us eggs almost every day.

Ovum (ova) is a haploid female reproductive cell or gamete.

An ovum in combined with its outer layer (it may be shell), internal membranes and nutrients for the embryo is the Egg.

Egg may be unicellular or multi-cellular but ovum must be unicellular. Naturally every eggs contains an ovum.

I think, now it is clear that egg and ova is not same.

Egg production is depends on many thing. But the main thing is ovulation (releases of ovum from the ovary). Normally very ovulation results an egg. As chicken ovulate almost every day, so it gives us eggs almost every day.

Sorry Tourist and believe me that what in Arabic use the same word. It is matte of language and terminology. In general eggs are different. Those for bird not as for fish or insects. Even in the same categry eggs are different. The buttom line that it is the cell produced by female to be pentrate with that produce by the male in process and for reproduction. Let us return the oroginal question

well i think of this because we do kill them and its in there blood to reproduce thats just my opinion im not sure for real ask you teacher in real life for there opinion