xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
OpaQue

Water-cooling!

wow no way. i had no idea that something like that was capable.I mean i just figured it would go to crap once you pour any thing into it like that.. that is a really good find . pc case filled with oil and pc runs...

first things first how the hell is that even possible with thee cooking oil? I just don't see how that is even possible with all the circuts and junks. Thats just insane. Wonder how much money they spent cooking that idea up (if you don't get that so sad).instead of spending hours looking at how its done someone explain in if I was an idiot. How does the water travel through the system. From the looks of the pictures its keeping the metal cool am I close to that assumption?Cause I don't see how putting water on the circut boards and the chips will help it function properly.

With water in it will not work.Because the water will split in ions due to electrical current.So those water ions will become a conductor wich will result in a useless mainbord.With oil it seems to work, since oil can't split in ions.The rest is easy to explain :When the oil heats up, it becomes lighter so I goes to the top.The cooler oil is heavier so it goes down.When the oil is on top it comes in contact with the normal air so it gives its heat off to the air just above.Another advantage of this is that all component are cooled.Like memory modulles , the mainbord chipset , Video card and so on.A disadvantage is that a leak can kill everything and it's not easy to make a memory upgrade.The only question how much oil do you need to cool a system properly, and how long does such things work.I've never tried it, and possibly will never do it also.I keep it on air cooling , it's the cheapest and most used.

water cooling is not always component - unfriendly. There are submersed computers too. The liquids usually used are anti freeze and non-conducting. Water is just used, because those liquids dont absorb heat as well. If you use solid copper water blocks witha long waterway, you can cool your PC down pretty well, and possible overclock a TON.

Let me start out by saying that the PC OpaQue mentioned looks a bit typical - aside from the garbege can filled with water. I read the thing on oil cooling - it seems interesting, but not something I would want to try. Water cooling is a pretty efficient way to cool down your computer, but sometimes it's just not for the person.

Wow, the oil cooled this is so cool! I wonder if you can like fry french fries in there if it gets hot enough lol. But seriously, the computer won't die even doused in oil?

I don't think so. The oil will boil before it gets hot enough for french fries. Haz.Anyway, I think the water idea might work. He can pump the water into a flat rectangular glass container and attach the container to the back of the motherboard. The glass will conduct the heat to the water which brings it away. The water does not come into contact with the circuitry and the motherboard remains safe.However, he will need to replace the bucket with something else of a large surface area so that the water is sufficiently cooled before it goes back to the MB.