xisto Community
djstarskream

Fruity Loops Tutorials-trance Style Songs How to create and use a profesional trance style bass mellody

Creating a bass mellody tutorial

Software / fruity loops

VST Plugins / Nexus,VANguard

Song Style / Trance

Tutorial Level / Beginner

files needed to download bellow.

bass_mellody_files.zip

ok to start I am going to teach you how to create what's sometimes referd to as a bass mellody.

A bass mellody is used in most trance songs as its primary function is to fill out the song

by this I mean make the song sound a bit fuller to add depth to it.

a bass mellody is never made of more than a few note styles. see below

Posted Image

In the above image you can see that I have use in all a total of three different note styles.

Style one (a). is a standard length note consisting of two squares with a time lease of one second.

Style two (:). is a half length note consisting of one square with a time lease of half a second.

Style three ©. is a quarter length note consisting of a quarter of a square with a time lease of a quarter of a second.

these three different style note when played alone can create a rather catchy bass mellody alone so don't be discouraged if

you think you cannot yet manage to use the three different styles of notes.

but for today I am going to teach you to use the three different types.

first in the above image you can see how this bass mellody is structured. if you cannot create this structure slone

the you can download the midi file heremidi.zip

but it does help to try and create this structure yourself as it gives the experience of creating a structure

like this.

now not all bass mellody's are created in this same structure infect some a really simple consisting of nothing more than

a few notes example below.

Posted Image

but beware whilst it can be difficult to manifest a good and full bass mellody settling for the simpler option can leave you

ending short. But another thing to take note of is that although a full song is more fulfilling a song that is to full will only sound

like a cat in a trash can. try never to over fill a song.

whilst creating a bass mellody there is one thing in particular that is considered to be my personal golden rule

when selecting a key voice (sound) for the bass mellody never ever pick a key voice (sound) that has a lower frequency

than that of your actual bass line as it will overtake your actual baseline and become the primary bass sequence whilst leaving behind

a rather wholesome amount of distortion. (distortion does not always occur in this case it can simply sometimes just sound plane old boring)

a good key voice (sound) that is a personal favourite of mine to use is what is refer to in most VST plugins as a pike (this will come under the plunk or pluck category)

they produce a rather fetching combination of sound working together through the bass mellody and the main bass line.

after creating the bass mellody and selecting a key voice (sound) for the mellody its just a matter of mastering between the bass mellody and main baseline.

once you have done that you have or at least should have a good mixing bass mellody and baseline that gives more fulfilment to your song.

as an example you can download below a small song loop that I have created with and without the bass mellody to notice the difference in fulfilment within the song.

this is with the bass mellody

with_bass_mellody.mp3

and this is without the bass mellody

without_bass_mellody.mp3

there isnt a massive diffence but you can here the diffence.

well i hope this tutorial helpd you keep your eyes open for more as they will be coming soon.

What's your audiocard?

my audio card is a pile o sŁ$*t it came standard when i baugt my laptop

Fruity is *BLEEP*! Hard makin' for GOOD TRACK! I writing on Reason 2.5, FM Natives and VST plugins...

well each one to there own
some do finde fruity loops rather annoying to use and rather limited in options but thats down to a general lack in fruity knolage but not the users fault
that i would put down to the makers of fruity loops as i personal dont thik it is advertised enough. you see whils fruity loops lacks the obveouseness of outher software for eas of use it does have the hidden gems that well whence found can bring alot moe to your tunes. but as i have seid befour each one to there own

reason is good to and sony acid a bit to plane for me but still verry usefull.

Notice from rvalkass:

Posts merged. You can use the Edit button to add to your post if there hasn't been a reply since.

FL Studio is an awesome audio editing program.However, it can be complex at times. Too bad it likely won't be dev'd for Mac OSX or Linux.

Nice tutorial, though.

yeah your rite it can get confusing at time but if you stick it out generaly you come out on top.

Yeah, I tried to get some music done in Fl studio. It's hard to get it done. Even controls are hard to configure. Mouse control is not properly done. And the major frustration is that you can enter the controll values manually. I haven't use reason so don't know much about it. Can you give me some hints about the Reason?

Ok, I learned a little bit from that, but is there a tutorial on how to render/export the tracks???... I really like this software and the VSTs are awesome but It's useless if I can't export my productions...-reply by TranceFreakNick

AWSOME!! I now know how all these dodgy songs are made lol!!im gonna make a bangin tune later thanks mate this is great!is there a link to get fruityloops? please tell me where i can download or buy it.

Ok, I learned a little bit from that, but is there a tutorial on how to render/export the tracks???... I really like this software and the VSTs are awesome but It's useless if I can't export my productions...
-reply by TranceFreakNick

File > Export > [Pick your format]...

wow , you're really good . I tried FL Studio once but I didn't manged to create such nice songs . Maybe this isn't for me .

Every musician was once a newbie. All you need is inspiration.

AWSOME!! I now know how all these dodgy songs are made lol!!im gonna make a bangin tune later thanks mate this is great!
is there a link to get fruityloops? please tell me where i can download or buy it.

https://support.image-line.com/jshop/shop.php I recommend the XXL edition. Believe me, you're going to want all that it brings.

*uff* thanks for this tutorial.i got a connection that is "just little" better than dial-up connection... i spent many hours download fruity loops thats about 100 MB.and when i opened it, i found everything so confusing and hard that i closed it and then uninstalled it. :lol:but now i am thinking to learn it through tutorials.

File > Export > [Pick your format]...

Every musician was once a newbie. All you need is inspiration.

https://support.image-line.com/jshop/shop.php I recommend the XXL edition. Believe me, you're going to want all that it brings.

I totally agree. I started using Fruityloops not too long ago (about 1 year) with the demo and I thought it was decent (although complicated). When I got the actual XXL edition, I found I could do SO much more. Definitely recommend the Vanguard VST for any techno song.

Oh, if anyone happend to come by a good organ VST could you let me know? I've been looking for a while but still nothing. :lol:

Replying to djstarskreamOk, so this all looks nice, but where can I actually get the .Mp3 or the midi, to see how it works in action?I have fruity, but I don't know what sounds you use for the bass, to get it sounding as it is supposed to..Thanks,Wayne