xisto Community
kaichi

Pc On Without Display

Does anyone of you know or already experienced turning on your pc but no display at all? What would be the possible problem on it? I tried all the possible troubleshoot i knew but still there's no display occur on my monitor. aside from that, there's no error beep during the startup.. Please help! thanks... :)

Check the power lead to the monitor and make sure it is actually getting power. Check the lead connecting the monitor to the PC and make sure that it is firmly connected at both ends. If there is still nothing then try swapping parts around. Take the monitor to a different PC and see if it works. If it doesn't then the monitor is broken. Try a different monitor with your PC and see if that works.The problem may also be the graphics card. Take it out and swap it if you can, just to see if it's causing the problem. If you've got onboard graphics too then take the graphics card out and see if the onboard graphics work.If you're on a laptop, there is often a key combination to blank the screen, and another to switch outputs (often Fn+F6 and Fn+F5 respectively). Try those and see if it works.

Check if all the pins on the end of the monitor cable are there. Sometimes you can do without one, but most are really important. If you're missing one, then that's probably the reason why you're getting no output, and you may need to get a new monitor.

Well i had this problem with a Dell, luckily in a way, Dell solved it.Behind most DELL PCs above the USB things, there are ABCD and the lights light up, and it gave me the error that my RAM wasnt being read, so i made sure it was in tight, rebooted, and the screen worked fine :)

I've had a similar problem on my PC. The PC would boot up and no sound errors would go off but the monitor just displayed no signal. I switched the monitor to my other pc and it works fine. So at this point I'm guessing its my PC. I plug it back in and same thing. I try severl reboots and then finally I kill the power at the back to the power supply wait a few then turn it back on and it works. This happens again a few days later I kill the power supply. wait a few and turn it back on.. It works, I'm not sure why it had anything to do with the power supply.

thanks for those informative reply.. i think my monitor is working because when i removed the connections of monitor-to-cpu it display the"no signal" something like that.. i tried also my hard disk to other pc and it works fine.. for now i didnt tried yet to put my ram on other pc.. with that problem I suspect my mother board..is it possible that the failure is coming from my motherboard?

Just try pushing your RAM in tight, to make sure its working.Motherboard? well is the VGA cord plugging into an ADDON card, or the motherboard itself.

Just try pushing your RAM in tight, to make sure its working.
Motherboard? well is the VGA cord plugging into an ADDON card, or the motherboard itself.

it is plug on the motherboard.. im only using a built-in video card..

No video or post can be many different causes. Some of the main causes is your connections. Check your connections to video is the most basic.Here are some other things to try that might help.Reset the ram - make sure you are grounded firstcheck the cpu - make sure is is properly seatedcheck all power connections insideand tons more it could be but ther are a few you could try

well some screens have inputs on them, like mine, i have input 1 and two.. 1 for VGA and 2 for DVI, i think it auto goes to the one bein gused, but if not,look for an imput.

I've had a similar problem on my PC. The PC would boot up and no sound errors would go off but the monitor just displayed no signal. I switched the monitor to my other pc and it works fine. So at this point I'm guessing its my PC. I plug it back in and same thing. I try severl reboots and then finally I kill the power at the back to the power supply wait a few then turn it back on and it works.
This happens again a few days later I kill the power supply. wait a few and turn it back on.. It works, I'm not sure why it had anything to do with the power supply.

i had the same problem with my monitor..the screen used to go blank frequently...not during reboot but in the middle of my work
and then after rebooting the problem continued, i tried removing power supply for some time and it worked ....this happened many times and once or twice my PC crashed..it showed some "file missing error" so i had to install XP again

i tried updating my onboard graphics drivers and my bios but the problem continued
later on i found out that the problem was with my hard disk.....
i got it changed and the PC has been working fine....

The most common cause for this is an application or the user setting a refresh rate that is far too high for the monitor to handle (common on LCD's as CRT's can handle more). This is why i keep my CRT handy.