xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
progenx

No Browser Installed Still can surf

Open up a notepad or calculator.Click on Help>Help TopicsThere will be another window opened.Right click on the above left icon and click on "Jump to URL..."Type in any sites that u wished to view/surf. Please include "http://forums.xisto.com/; without the quotes.Enjoy surfing!

You can also use that method for running applications and stuff, such as command prompt and stuff.There is another easier way to do this though. You can open "my computer" or any other folder like my documents or something. and in the white bar where it tells you where you are (it should say address) you can type in the URL to any website there and you windows explorer just changed to internet explorer. One of Microsoft's many ways to keep it's products on you PC when you don't want them. This method is great to use if you uninstalled Internet explorer and went for firefox, but then needed to go to a microsoft only webpage where you must have IE in order to go to it.The reason this works is because Microsoft built Internet explorer 6.0 or 5.0 (not sure which) into the operating system and you can't remove it. So when you use windows explorer and go to a web page instead of a file it will automatically switch to internet explorer.Hope you have fun with you new tips :).

When my computer started to break I had to surf the web using my computer like you said. It was annoying but it worked so I'd do that. Can't you access webpages from excel eccetera.. just go to tools - toolbars then web and an adress bar should come up (for microsoft office)

Yeah I had to do this when my IE broke, I thought instead of getting IE again I'd try Firefox, and its a lot better than IE!I didn't know you could use it for command prompt to! Thanks for telling me!

This method is great to use if you uninstalled Internet explorer and went for firefox, but then needed to go to a microsoft only webpage where you must have IE in order to go to it.

I don't know about XP but this does not work on my Win2003. Everytime I try it it launches the dfefault browser. It might be MS' way to comply with the Windows untying demands. By the way my server started doing this when I ran Windows Update that's why I think it's some thing that they decided to do recently.I cant help but ask myself why someone would completely remove IE. The thing is very small and can sit there without causing any problem(Don't bother it, it won't bother you). Besides I beleave most of u guys are developing sites. How do you get to be satisfied if u don't test your site on different browsers?