xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
guitar22891

Tkd Or Karate

well I have done karate and I enjoyed it.a lot...I did some kind of no-contact karate which was more about discipline but I liked it...TKD is much more demanding and you can get hurt too,but I heard it makes you tough...now you got to choose :)

I did a little karate, about 6 weeks and ill be starting again soon hopefully but from my experience and what ive heard karate and most likely other martial arts arent the best thing for self defence, my theory is that with karate you learn to adopt a certain stance and are taught moves that are best when an attack comes from a specific place or person or angle and you have plenty of room to swing your body etc.. but in the street it could be a guy who just walks up to you and demands your money, you might be in a tight space or it could be a case of face to face combat in which case specific self defence classes are better. However, MA's (One member here seems to be rather proficient in several MA's and so can help more) are really good for teaching you general fighting skills and confidence, discipline etc... but for actual self defence you would be better to go to a SD class as they will teach you how to use objects like telephones, brooms, stones, anything you can find to take the other guy down and they wont be afraid to tell you to go kicking in the balls (literally) if you need to where karate will generally stay away from "dirty" tactics like slamming a brick into their head (dont do that.. bad idea!)SO if you're looking for a hobby and some self defence go for a MA, thats what im going for, a hobby, fitness and a bit of SD but if you purely want hardcore self defence i would suggest an SD club or even Judo or more close contact MA's. for example my dad went Judo and could easily throw someone over his shoulder into a wall... slightly more useful than trying to throw a roundhouse kick in a corridor or against a wall.but i guess in the end its personal preference and to define exactly what you want to learn, pure self defence or all the other perks but slightly less SD?

Well I know it isn't one you suggested by a few people I know do kick-boxing and they have shown us demonstarations before and it all seems it would be practical and useful in real life. You are also taught the use of some weapons once certain belt levels have been reached etc. However you can only use most martial arts in self defence and need a licence I believe

Karate is simply japanese style fighting, that originated form Southern India. Karate uses a lot of different elements that offer different fighting styles. Someone asked before which one is more practical in a fight, I'd say it depends on how you use both of them. Fire style Karate is probably the most useful in a streetlight, it's simple but extremely fast and constant attacks, all aimed at pressure points. When I fight this style, it takes me about 1 - 5 seconds before I score a fall victory. TKD is amazing when it comes to what it demands of you! Half of the kicks in TKD involve so much flexibility and outbursts of energy that sometimes you can't do it, literally, you just can't do something unless you warm up. I'm high level belts in both and find that at my level, TKD is more demanding in terms of physical stamina, but Karate is much more demanding in terms of thought. Basically none of them is better than the other, and in a street fight, both of them would help equally if you used it properly.

Exactly my thought, both styles have their own particular strengths and weaknesses.They also have their own technical demand.The question about weapons was raised, TKD sometimes uses sticks, in my particular karate style (Shotokan), we use Sai daggers and a Bo staff.However, when it comes to street fighting, it is obvious those weapons might not be at hand (although, when you are trained in the use of a Bo, a stick you pick up, or an umbrella or walking stck, even a rolled up newspaper, might have their uses).As for the Sai daggers, it would most probably be a criminal offence to carry them in most places, and, on the other hand, do not sink to the level of street thugs by carrying knives.