xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tramposch

Vista On A New Motherboard

Well i purchased a computer, Dell Inspiron 530s (desktop)

I am upgrading heavily, im upgrading my motherboard now..

I chattted to dell support.. I hear that the operating system is not married to the motherboard... heres what she said.

1:08:04 PM System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat 1:08:04 PM System Connected with Manisha_79778
1:08:12 PM Manisha_79778 Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support. My name is Manisha and My Rep ID number is 79778. How may

I help you today?
1:08:55 PM Kyle Kamp Hello I had a question about a dell computer i just bought. I wanted to upgrade to a new motherboard. Will I

have to buy a new Windows Vista disk so it will install on the new motherboard? I heard that the disks that come with your computer are

married to your motherboard.
1:09:59 PM Manisha_79778 I'll be glad to provide you the information.
1:10:34 PM Manisha_79778 I see that you are calling in about the system model Inspiron Desktop 530s with the Operating system

windows vista on it. Is that correct?
1:11:02 PM Kyle Kamp Yes correct
1:11:20 PM Manisha_79778 Thank you for the information. Let me pull up your system information. Give me 3-4 minutes, in meantime

may I have your telephone number to update the records?
1:11:46 PM Kyle Kamp I would rather not give you my Telephone number, is it required that i give it to you?
1:13:05 PM Manisha_79778 I need the telephone number for updating the records and also if in case we get disconnected i can call

you back to assist you with the system.
1:14:33 PM Kyle Kamp If we get disconnected i will just try to find another way to figure this problem out, or get in que again.

Should I exit? or would you still be able to help me. The previous person said it was fine if he didn't have my Telephone number.
1:15:35 PM Manisha_79778 Alright not a problem. May i know under who's name is the system registered?
1:15:52 PM Kyle Kamp Marcelo van de Kamp
1:16:30 PM Manisha_79778 Thank you for the information.
1:17:10 PM Manisha_79778 Just would like to confirm that you want to upgrade the motherboard to the latest version. Is that

correct?
1:17:33 PM Kyle Kamp I wanted to upgrade the Motherboard to a different ASUS motherboard, so i have more expandability.
1:20:05 PM Manisha_79778 Alright. You can upgrade the motherboard, but after upgrade of the motherboard there will be no support

provided on the new motherboard. We will not be able to assist you on the new motherboard.
1:20:38 PM Kyle Kamp But would I be able to isntall the windows vista that i received with the Desktop i bought (Dell Inspiron

530s) or would i have to buy a new liscense/disk.
1:22:06 PM Manisha_79778 Yes you will be able to install vista on the new motherboard. But if there are any issues generated after

installation, we will not be able to assist you on the new motherboard.
1:24:05 PM Kyle Kamp Are you completely positive? the disk i got i believe they call an "OEM" which has the vista activation

already on the disk (auto activates when isntalled) which i have already isntalled on my PC a couple of times (formatting then installing

again). I just want to confirm that i will be able to install my vista wich came with my system (after un installing the current one, and

formatting my drive).
1:26:51 PM Manisha_79778 It should work.
1:27:06 PM Manisha_79778 As you say that you will format and then reinstall, then it should work.
1:27:56 PM Manisha_79778 You will be able to install vista, but sometimes there might be some issues generated.
1:28:29 PM Kyle Kamp Can you tell me what issues might be generated? can they result as my PC not working, or just no support from

dell for my computer.
1:29:06 PM Manisha_79778 There will be no support from dell after the new motherboard is installed.
1:29:18 PM Kyle Kamp Thank you for your support.

(sorry if its hard.. to read lol)

What do you guys think about my situation?

Well i purchased a computer, Dell Inspiron 530s (desktop)cost I am upgrading heavily, im upgrading my motherboard now..

I chattted to dell support.. I hear that the operating system is not married to the motherboard... heres what she said.
(sorry if its hard.. to read lol)

What do you guys think about my situation?

the only selution for this situation is that you change the motherboard

and i think that cold be hard and moor costing than

just sell your old pc and bought new one

in my opinian you chose you pc pice with pice that you can know what exactly the cost

and what you can do with your pc

Well i want to buy a new mobo, im a very.. very..buildy.. guy i like buildilng comps.. i guess... im just wonderinf if you guys would confirm that i would not have to buy another lisensce>

To clear things up as the resident Dell person in the forums, and from my understanding you can install the OEM version of vista as many times as you want but since your changing your motherboard you need to go through the phone activation to get a new product key because it would be considered a major hardware change. The OS isn't married ot the motherboard per say but in the sense that if you change out all the hardware of the computer you initially got then you would need to keep on reactivating it, and so you don't need to buy a new vista version. However, I must disagree with the change though because like the dell tech said once you put in another motherboard that does not match the original one then you lose all support for your computer, and so if it blows up or you need to replace parts you won't get them for free and your warranty gets nulled on that computer.

When you call Windows phone activation your provide them the key that gets display like so in the image below, and then they will provide you with a new activation number that you would type in and then press ok and you should be set.

Posted Image

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Thanks, so this def work? thanks

You don't have to activate it through the phone. They give you a couple of options for activating it: phone or by internet. It should work either way. Doing it by the internet is better than by phone, because you don't have to speak out that huge installation ID, and then there's the huge ID they give you back, which you have to type out in the 4th step. And that's assuming that both of you can understand what each other are saying over the phone.

I remember once trying to activate the very same thing on my friend's laptop. I activated it through the internet, but after restarting the laptop, it told me to reactivate the thing again, and then the internet wouldn't work. I'm not sure if this will happen to you or not, though. But good luck.

Well the reason I say that if you have to activate it by phone is that your internet could be lock out, which means that windows won't know if its configured or not. THe one time I had to do this windows activation screen wasn't picking up my connection, and so if you do it by phone it will be a lot quicker that way, then trying to establish a connection that could fail.

After i install my system, how do i get to the phone activation window in windows vista?Do i go to computer, then 'change activation code' or is there a different way?Because when i install my version of vista, it installs it with a code already installed with it.

well when you boot up the computer it should be the first thing you see after you see the windows XP screen so you can't miss it, however, if you don't see then you don't have to reactivate it again. Even though the activation code is inside the OS software once you install that operating system that activation code is hardwired to the hardware, and so any hardware changes you make, gfx card, motherboard; RAM usually gets away with the major hardware change so do CD-Rom drives, and floppy drives as well. Of course there is an exception of this and I tell how, if you delete certain OS related files or very large groups of files that work with the OS and the hardware then you will get prompted with this screen if you restart the computer or when you boot it up again. I tried this file cleaning program and it deleted quite a few files from my computer and so I was prompted with that screen when I booted my computer the next day. So you won't miss that series of screens when and if you installed that motherboard.