xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mermaid711

I've Been Singing Alot And Now My Throat Hurts.

diets for singersI've Been Singing Alot And Now My Throat Hurts.

hey friend I was having the same problem that you described here, but I followed this link http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and now I'm better than before. Although I usually sing Bollywood songs in hindi and urdu, but I am sure this will also work for you.

-reply by Mudassir

hurt vocal cordsI've Been Singing Alot And Now My Throat Hurts.

I love music and I love singing but I just do it at home for fun but know I have strained my voice and I am just horrified. I don't know what to do and at first I didnt know that I had strained my voice so I kept on singing. And having fun and screaming and being my loud self now I am worried that I might have permanently strained my voice . How do I know if I permanently strained my voice? and how can I fix it if its not permanently strained?

-reply by Sweets

Bad Throat as a singer I've Been Singing Alot And Now My Throat Hurts.

Dear Friends,

I have a unique problem now. I used to sing a lot and was supposed to be a very good singer but now I am unable to sing at high pitch at all and my voice breaks as soon as I go into high pitch. It becomes very shrill and I feel so bad. Is there any operation for same as I would like to get back my voice and sing again as a professional singer. 

-question by Kumar

sore throatI've Been Singing Alot And Now My Throat Hurts.

I have been singing soprano all my life, and my conductor put me into second altos in our choir tonight.  I have come home from rehearsal with a sore throat feeling very strained and sorry for myself.  I have never had a sore throat singing soprano. What can I do. I am so despondent that I want to leave the choir.

I think that everything there is to singing focuses mainly on breathing and the use of the diaphragm. Pretty sure that most people agree with this. But, working too hard on your breathing, can some times cause inaccuracies. If you've got your entire concentration focused on getting a regular breathing pattern whens singing, your ability to moderate notes with your voice box can grow dull, leading to off tune singing, which everyone hates. But that's besides the point XDBreathing is, ultimately, important. If your throat hurts, it means you're stressing it too much for either the higher notes, or for the longer ones. Both of those require a high amount of tension to be created in your neck if you don't breathe right. And that's the key, really, if you've got a lung full of breathe coming out at anything above snail's pace, you should be fine. I know how you feel, I've sung a ton of Coheed and Cambria songs, and Claudio, the lead singer, takes some really really high pitches some times. Following that at the same rate at which the band performs the song, can touch upon the impossible if you're just relying on your throat to do the work. If you breathe in REALLY deep, and are able to exhale at a pretty strong pace, you'll be able to hit higher and longer notes without having to worry about your voice trembling under the pressure. Breathing is really important, and I learned that the hard way. ;]

I sing in a punk band we have songs that are shouting then singing, sometimes after 4 shows in a row, I cant even speak, even when I warm up my voice before. Its a bit like the gym if you work out on the top half of your body every day, by day 3 you will be in pain, so best thing to do is stop. Have periods of silence,  drink lots of warm drinks, hot drinks will make it worse, cold drinks also, and sugar drinks will fudge it completely.

Warming up before you sing and warm down after will eventually make you a singing machine!

And that chineese wize tail the other guy was talking about that singers swear by is probably something to do with smoking crack, as wel all know smoking crack makes singing ten times better and is very morish.

-reply by Tetley

I really recommend not talking AT ALL for at least one whole day and drinking lots of water while at it. Getting enough sleep is also as important as water and should be done frequently (that would be pleasant of course ). 

-reply by bella

Importance of Technique in Avoiding Vocal DamageI've Been Singing Alot And Now My Throat Hurts.

You mentioned that you haven't had any formal training. It's important to understand certain basics of vocal technique and singing breathing in order to avoid damage. A sore or hoarse throat after singing a lot is a sign that you may be putting far too much force on your vocal folds. Singing loud and strong is a matter of breath control and releasing the sound, rather than forcing it out through the throat.

You may not need to run out and take years of lessons, it's just important to learn the fundamentals. You want to be singing for a long time. :)

-reply by Bret Piontek

singers ought to avoid cold drinks and sweets (especially chocolate). they simply irritate the vocal chords more. rest is the key. try to make it a habit to impose yourself a complete silence (no talking, no singing) for periods in between your practice, moreso when you are beginning to feel that you're in the verge of straining your vocal chords. the most dedicated singers attest to a complete silence (no talking, no singing) a day before a concert performance or presentation.

for an old-wives' tale solution (which our singers in our country usually practice) is to boil strips of ginger, then drink the concoction after it cools down. we call it "salabat" and it is supposed to help relax your vocal chords. try it, it's simply like tea. Posted Image there's also a chinese medicine which singers swear by, and which they ingest as a solution to bring back lost voice after strenuous practice... i just don't remember the name now. i'll try to remember it, but maybe our chinese trappers can help here. Posted Image

haa the chinese remedy I'm pretty sure is the loquat syrup ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loquat) and I heard about his through a youtube video about singing with a cold. It's a great video; the woman mentions that the loquat syrup is a remedy told by beyonces management.