xisto Community
demonlord

Invision 1.3 is it allowed

hello, i have a copy of invision power board 1.3 which i downloaded when they first made it avaible, and i have contacted invisionplus and they said its fine to use it. and what i want to know is if it is allowed on Xisto hosting accounts. i have added all of the security patches so it is completely safe. if i could get an answer thanks.

Well back when we were in the 2.1 stage there was a debate going around about that version, and if I remember correctly that if you have a legit license for that version, don't know why people want that version board anymore with all the security holes it has, then you can install that board. Meaning that you have to pay the $60, last known price tag of that version, and have the copyright info intact at the bottom of the board. Of course I wouldn't be getting your advice from a website that has no affiliate to the creators of that board, but like I said this was huge topic because of the legalities once they went into the paid versions of the software, and so I think you would have to show some sort of proof that you bought the software from the IPB website. Of course it is interesting to know that IPB no longer supports that version, and so if you do run it your on your own, but of course I would suggest an alternate forum like phpbb, SMF, AEF for your forum needs.

what i got when i contaced invision power the other day was, with invision 1.3 final there was no price to download it and there for it is free to use without a license, just rember to install the security patches. so if i could get a answer from one of the admins on wheater this allowed or not that would be great. also i still have the email from invision power if any one would like to see it.

The official Invision answer (back when I contacted them) is if you have downloaded during free offers from Invision you can use the forum board. You cannot download 1.3 version from Invision anymore and anywhere else would be illegal since Invision does not even provide v1.3 with cPanel package.Furthermore, any addition to secure v1.3 would violate the free licensing usage of Invision since v1.3 did not release secure patches to public to download. So called v1.3Final is not legal download from Invision (because they only released v1.3 for free download). v1.3Final is reverse engineered by several coders and released to general public.So Invision strongly recommens not to run v1.3 because of security issues. And any attempt to add secure patches would violate the free licensing usage. Running v1.3 alone is alright with Xisto hosting. But if Xisto is contacted by Invision regarding your hosting you will be prompted to take down your forum immediately.