xisto Community
t3jem

System Restore Only Works For 2008 Windows XP professional

Alright, I was being the smart kid that I am (sarcasm) and decided to screw with my registry for new years. (Well, actually I was just checking out a key for a program I have). I ended up deleting the key for my program in my registry and I don't have the key because it was a give away of the day. So I wanted to try and system restore to restore my registry (at least I believe it does that); however, when I went into system restore, the only restore points were the ones from January 2008. It would not let me go back into the year 2007. I know system restore saves about 2-4 points a week on my system and I have about 2 gigabytes reserved so it should not have deleted any of the old ones. What I'm hoping for is that the restore points are still there and there is just another way to get there. Does anybody have any ideas?

I believe due to the fact that it is a new year if you do a system restore fro ma previous year that it would mess up the system in some way, because I noticed that as well when I was reinstalling my laptop for the last two days. However, you can create physical restore points yourself through the system restore wizard though, but either way last years restore points are lost.

This may sound stupid, but have you tried winding the clock back to last year? If it is a really simple bug or mistake in the System Restore code then you might be able to fool it by setting the clock back to December of last year (make sure you disable the Internet time or it'll correct it again). Worth a try...

I just checked my Sys restore and it let me select dates of december 07, i didnt go any further than selecting the days using the calendar but it looks like it would let me... Ill assume you did use the left arrow button to try to go back a month?for the record im on XP pro SP2

Well, that doesn't sound good. Yea, I did use the back arrow, now I only have 3 restore points apparently, from the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. I'm running SP2 as well. I couldn't imagine, but would it have somthing to do with the fact my laptop was off for about 6 days before the new year?P.S. to rvalkass, I actually hadn't tried that and just tried it, there are no restore points from last year, but it did let me go to December, so I'm guessing I've completely lost my restore points.. That's not good, I really needed that program.

Edited by t3jem (see edit history)

Ok I like to say I am a moron, just because I remember why I can't go back to 2007 is that I reinstalled my computer so those would be completely wiped out all restore files anyways. So yeah you should be able to have some of decembers 2007 restore points left, depending on how big your restore point space is, default is set at 6Gb's.

I couldn't imagine, but would it have somthing to do with the fact my laptop was off for about 6 days before the new year?

Yeah, as your laptop was off how could Windows create those Restore points.