xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damen

Wireless Access Point Setup An issue of range.

I have a problem with how my current wireless router is set up, in a certain room I do not get a signal because of all the obstructions in the way of the signal. So instead of moving the wireless to another point and risk having the same problem but for a different room I have a question.If I buy another wireless router and set it up in the room of no signal, then run a Ethernet from that router to my wireless one downstairs it should work. But instead of having two separate wireless connections I was wondering if there is an specific way to use a wireless router as an access point?I tried searching for "wireless access point" on amazon thinking maybe there are certain hardware routers that are specifically used for access points. Only found a few, expensive, results.So, if I were to do what I stated above and just use the new wireless router as an access point somehow to just extend the same signal, will it work? and how?Also, if you have any good recommendations for an access point please post them, I am currently using a 108mb/s wirelessG netgear router.

Yes you can actually basically all your doing is extending your network capabilities, basically your first router will be a switch meaning that you would have to add another cable to your second router. Also you need to make sure your second router has wds(wireless distribution system), and that will help extend the coverage. In my research it seams that your secondary router will need to have DHCP disabled with a static IP and that way you won't run into OP conflicts as your trying to connect to the internet. It seems thats the Linksys routers are your best route to go in forming the bridge needed to connect wireless, and yeah I have to agree not alot of info is given I had to search about 10 websites to patch this answer, but odds are if you go the Linksys router which are fairly inexpensive I get a hold of their r tech support and see if they can helo you set that up since they build the things. Also if they do know how to do it post it up the directions and that way it gives me something to do with another router.

Well in all of these routers I am looking at I can not find WDS in the specs on them. But I did find this when I search for a specific router and WDS together.

If I were to buy the "Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router" and a third part firmware to supposedly "unlock" the WDS feature. The firmware called HyperWRT.

If you take a second to read this little passage it explains exactly what I want and need to do, but the only thing I don't know is if they used a cable inbetween the two routers like I want to. I'm not sure if it is the safest way to go though.
Link to passage

I found a product that is a wireless signal repeater alone, which is "Belkin F5D7132" but from numerous reviews it was a giant hassle to setup with a security enabled network, but I could get around that with some help from people here. But another things is that it seems to just be stand alone and needs to be in a place where there is already a signal and then retransmits it from there. If you understand what I mean. I'm not sure if I can also use that with it wired to my router.

I did this once. All you have to do is set up the second router with the same SSID and password as the first but use a different wireless channel on the second router than from the first one. And of course like Saint_Michael said you should disable DHCP on the second router and give it a static ip. This way you only have to connect to your wireless network once and when you go from one room to another your computer will switch from one wireless access point to another without loosing internet connectivity.

Edited by omarsdali (see edit history)

It seems you can do it both wirelessly or wired just depends how you configure HyperWRT from the looks of it, and from the post it seems he did a wireless connection but I wouldn't be surprise if its wired and they just ran a long cable from the two routers.. Heck I would say contact the guy if you haven't already and see if he can help you out or point you to the way.

DUDE I THINK I FOUND HOW TO SET THIS UP

CLICK HERE

I looked at it briefly but it seems to be legit on how to work this.

You should use one that has the first three numbers the same as the first router and the last one diffrent.Also make sure that it's not in the range of the dynamically assigned IPs by the DHCP server on the first router, otherwise, you might have an ip conflict.If your first router's IP is: 192.168.1.1and you DHCP range is: 192.168.1.50 - 192.168.1.100then you can use 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.X where X is not 1 and is not between 50 and 100.

Yup dd-w rt is another firmware they have for that router. From that setup guide though they only talk about if you are using WDS with both of the wifi routers being WRT54G routers. So i'm not positive on it. I am pretty set on buying this router. What I will do is buy it in a couple days, try what omarsdali said, since that seems to be a very easy and safe way if it works. Then, if it doesn't work I will try what we have been looking at SM.

A wireless repeater is probably your best bet. If you place the repeater on the edge of your existing wireless range then it will blast all of the wireless traffic over a much larger range, extending your wireless network's range. They are used in airports, schools, stations and all sorts of public places to create massive wireless coverage.

They are also fairly cheap. There is a Realtek one here for Ł20, so that should be around $40 in the US.

Reading that link it seems like a device like the one I have pointed out does what you want. It acts like an extension of the wireless, creating, as that page puts it "a big cloud" of wireless signal around the original router and any repeaters you set up.

I researched that also rvalkass. The only reason I haven't dead set my mind on that decision is because of my current set up. No matter where I can think of putting the repeater it would still impede on my connect quality. So although it may be more of a hassle to do it with a router, it will give me a much larger and more stable, I think, network. Plus if I go with the second router I can always expand on that and add another wired desktop connect in another part of the house with it.I do appreciate your suggestion though, and I hate how everything looks soo cheap in euros! ha.

Well I may go with your find there jlhaslip!

I don't use ebay but from that product name I found it from their company for $45
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

There is a link for anyone who might be looking for a similar product. Well after looking through the specs of it, it seems to do everything I need and it still supports WPA2.

Just gonna do a little more researching on it, maybe some reviews but it looks promising! Thanks very much everyone for your help!!

Since I think this is more of an update I am not appending it to my previous post, which is a couple days old. Hope that is not a problem. :)

I have went with Rvalkass's suggestion for the product. I went through a different company though. The company, Edimax, also offers a PoE version(Power over ethernet) for ten Us dollars more. That is a very good thing to have with it because with that, later on, I could have it in a very remote place(i.e. no power outlets like a roof). but I didn't buy it for that sole reason. It also comes with a 4dbi high gain antenna! Which is a big upgrade from the version for ten less dollars. both versions come with a removable antenna but with a 4dbi high gain one coming with it I don't think I will need to. considering my wifi router only has a 2dbi stock on it that isn't removable! :(

Here is a link to who a bought it from: both versions.

Without PoE: $45

With PoE and 4Dbi high gain antenna: $55

Hope this little review was helpful, I will be sure to update further when it arrives at my house in a couple days!