xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce517

Error E74? (xbox 360)

Okay so me and my friend were playing guitar hero and all of a sudden the screen got all block like and the graphics all turned into green swirly squares. So we thought maybe the A/v cord was loose or something i turned off the xbox and re-plugged the a/v cords in now every time i turn the xbox on it flashes 1 red light and says Error E74 in about every language i know of... I have called 1-800-4myxbox and all they said is that they only fix xbox's with the 3 red light error.... what do i do? thanks.

According to this Xbox FAQs, it mentions that the cause is most likely to be because of the (H)ANA chip near the A/V cable connection. Getting a new A/V cable might help. I would have blaimed the GPU, but the FAQs says that that is rare. Although the FAQs' disclaimer says that it may not be 100% accurate, it's still a good reference and starting point.

According to this Xbox FAQs, it mentions that the cause is most likely to be because of the (H)ANA chip near the A/V cable connection. Getting a new A/V cable might help. I would have blaimed the GPU, but the FAQs says that that is rare. Although the FAQs' disclaimer says that it may not be 100% accurate, it's still a good reference and starting point.

Okay thanks for the help but i have switched a/v and power supplies with friends and its not the cords.... so is their and easy fix for the '(H)ANA chip' ?

Okay thanks for the help but i have switched a/v and power supplies with friends and its not the cords.... so is their and easy fix for the '(H)ANA chip' ?

I can't find anything on how to fix or replace the chip, but if you have a valid warranty on the Xbox 360, i suggest getting a replacement. If you don't, then i guess you can go around game stores asking for help on the matter. Ask them if they know how to fix the error.

E74 is fixable with the 800 number

Error E74? (xbox 360)

E74 is the same error I had last night, which looks like that is when you did. Call them back. They first asked me about the 3 light thing and I told them, no I have the bottom right one.

Then you say that you have tried different cables and it is still doing it. You took all the components off and attempted to turn it on with nothing.

They are sending me a box in a few days. And I called last night.

-Nick

Replying to Bruce517if you ask what is a e74 they say its a hardware failure and I made a comparison for the three red rings to the agent and they said 3 red rings is also a hardware failure-my xbox360 is out of warranty-and they said it would be $100 to fix it so I asked for supervisor and asked them to explain the difference between the two errors and she said its the same error just a different way to display it- a chip on the inside has overheated and has lost contact with the motherboard resulting in e74 . She agreed this warrants the console the same way 3 red rings does so they shipped me a box and I got it repaired at no charge thanks to me asking for a sup and demanding a explanation of the difference between the two errors .They are the same don't pay for a repair just be more persistent

on haggling w/the customer support

Error E74? (xbox 360)

Replying to iGuest

I noticed your blog was put in recently, and I have the same problem with the 1 RED light. I tried talking to the manager and he said, " the 3 RED RING light falls under warranty b/c it's an UNKNOWN problem and the 1 RED LIGHT(E74) is a specific problem and it doesn't fall under warranty" The manager said that this wasn't going to change. I tried saying what you put, but it was a no go. What exactly did you say? Or do you have any other tips?

URGENT REPLY FOR BRUCE157

Error E74? (xbox 360)

Replying to Bruce517

Ok Bruce157, this is what you can do...(you will loose your warrenty if you do this, you do it at your own risk and I take no responsiblity for any mishaps)

This shouldnt damage your console because I have done it many a time.

Get six 2p coins, stack them one on top of each other, then wrap them in magnetic tape(usually black). Then open your Xbox 360 console (disassemble it) and then remove the DVD Drive and the fan shroud. Now put the stacked coins ontop of the (H)ana chip. Then put the shroud back in, and then the disc drive. Now pull out the plug for the fans(little white square thing with 4 pins). Turn on your console for about 3 minutes(ignore the red lights just keep it turned on for that amount of time). Then turn it off. Half an hour later plug in the fans again and power on the console. It should work and within a few minutes the wierd graphics should clear. Not 100% garenteed though...

Ahhh you can open your xbox 360 too fix this I no there is a youtube video of it now, what you have to do will kill your warranty tho not like that matters cause the warranty doesn`t even cover it(E74). But check youtube for answers.. Sorry don't have direct link but type in "how to fix xbox 360 error E 74" should have a guy with a accent show you how to do it.

URGENT REPLY FOR BRUCE157

Error E74? (xbox 360)

<a href=http://forums.xisto.com/topic/54442-error-e74-xbox-360/ to Bruce517</a>

Ok Bruce157, this is what you can do...(you will loose your warrenty if you do this, you do it at your own risk and I take no responsiblity for any mishaps)

This shouldnt damage your console because I have done it many a time.

Get six 2p coins, stack them one on top of each other, then wrap them in magnetic tape(usually black). Then open your Xbox 360 console (disassemble it) and then remove the DVD Drive and the fan shroud. Now put the stacked coins ontop of the (H)ana chip. Then put the shroud back in, and then the disc drive. Now pull out the plug for the fans(little white square thing with 4 pins). Turn on your console for about 3 minutes(ignore the red lights just keep it turned on for that amount of time). Then turn it off. Half an hour later plug in the fans again and power on the console. It should work and within a few minutes the wierd graphics should clear. Not 100% garenteed though...

google it man

when i got my E63 & E67 code i googled it on my psp lol and found a site that lists them all and wot to do if u get them google it and ull probly

be able to find a way to fix it

hope this helped

Replying to iGuest

I just called microsoft and I received a 75% off discount but I couldnt get a free 3 year warranty so I told them I was gonna fix it and she said it would void warranty...But if I was alreayd out of warranty would that even matter? I wouldnt give up but she wouldnt go lower then 75% off so I would have to pay 25 bucks but I think I might just try to fix it myself...Microsoft is not a big help at all...

-reply by Kenny

What to do if out of warranty and you get e74 error message.

Error E74? (xbox 360)

Replying to fox company tazWhat I am about to say relates to Australia although I am sure most countries will have government bodies that provide a similar service.Microsoft have only given the xbox360 a 12mth warranty unless your console happens to breakdown with the 3 red rings being displayed.In this case they have extended the warranty by a further two years.Well my console was purchased on 15/04/07 and I got an e74 error msg with one red light on 26/10/08.I rang xbox tech support expecting to be covered by the extended warranty and was told that due to the fact I had one red ring and not three that I was not covered by the extended warranty.I argued this point to no avail.I had to pay $132 for the repair.Believing this to be unfair especially as the xbox360 until recently had a major design flaw in regard to overheating I contacted a very powerful government department called "The Department of Fair Trading " and after explaining the situation to them and how much I had paid for the console{$639}I was told that what Microsoft had done is wrong and that giving a product a 12month warranty does not mean that after the 12months has expired Microsoft are no longer liable.It becomes a question of how much the item cost and as the person from dept of fair trading said you would expect that something you paid $639 for should last longer than 18mths.He stated that this issue would be investigated and that I was entitled to a full refund and he guaranteed me that they would force Microsoft to repay me my $132.I was directed to a site within this department online to do an official complaint.I was told that this process could take up to 4 weeks to resolve.So there you have it.Microsoft do not give a stuff about the people who purchase their xbox360.They hope everyone will just shut up,accept that what they are saying is the gospel truth in regard to the 12mth warranty and pay them the money.What everyone needs to do is look into whether their country has this kind of govt support and contact them immediately.It is criminal what Microsoft is trying to get away with and they know it

-reply by Garry

Tried thisError E74? (xbox 360)

Ya...I tried the towel method as well...Light was green for about 20 min, then it crapped out again with my XBOX even more heated...I ended up buying one of those fix guides ...After toiling with the guide for 2 hours, I was able to get it up and going...It's been 5 months now and no problems...No errors... In case you guys wanna give it a try (it worked for me)

Link : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

-reply by Jane