xisto Community
longtimeago

Google Mail Or Gmail have you used both ?

I think that they are the same things..... I am not sure yet.... According to other people, (i skimmed) they say that googlemail was when Google Email first came out.... Well, I think it is kind of like live and hotmail but except googlemail and gmail are the same.... =/

great answerGoogle Mail Or GmailReplying to rvalkassjust wanted to say thanks for that great answer .. Even though it was long, long ago. Here it is January 2010 and I had the same question about google versus g mail and you explained it beautifully. Thanks again.-reply by tim farmer

The next time I am in the UK (which will hopefully be sometime later this year) I will register an @googlemail.com email address.

The @googlemail.com email addresses were provided after Google was informed that they had no right to the GMail name in the UK - another company was already using it and had rights to it. They tried to negotiate and failed, so introduced a different domain for UK users as of mid-October 2005. The domain was only available to people in the UK who registered for GMail after 19/10/2005. However, it is just a redirect to the @gmail.com addresses. Both will work and get delivered fine - Google just aren't allowed to use the GMail name in the UK.

If you want a @googlemail.com address then you'll need to move to the UK :) However, try it with a @gmail.com address. As they redirect to one another, it might be possible to use it anyway. Give it a go and find out.

Are you sure it would be @googlemail.com not @googlemail.co.uk?

The next time I am in the UK (which will hopefully be sometime later this year) I will register an @googlemail.com email address.

Unfortunately you are now too late. Google recently settled their legal issues, and now have the right to use the GMail name within the UK. All new accounts created in the UK are now @gmail.com and any users with @googlemail.com addresses are being given the option to "switch" to @gmail.com (although both worked all the time anyway...)

Are you sure it would be @googlemail.com not @googlemail.co.uk?

Definitely @googlemail.com, although it has now been discontinued.