xisto Community
etycto

Using Different Font how to display a font that the user does not have

all right i realy did not know where to put this but you guys no how if i where to make my own font lets say the name is "fake" and i wanted for my website to display all it's i content using the font "fake". but as you all may know that the user must have that font in their computer but i made it myself so they wont have it. is it posible to upload this font to my server and like connect it in someway. what i mean is find a way to use that font with out the user needing it. or is this imposible.

This is generally a bad idea. There are reasons why the number of fonts are limited on the web: they are good for screen reading, you can pretty much guarantee that your visitors will have them (or a very similar alternative) and you have the right to use them. I would therefore strongly recommend you do not embed fonts!

It is possible, but requires the conversion of the font to a weird format and it is not particularly well supported at the moment. However, there was talk of the next versions of HTML and CSS having support for custom fonts.

Yes thats a good question .Indeed I too want to know if this is possible or not.My site uses the Microsoft office 2007 fonts and these fonts are not available on each and every computer till now,so I think most of the users aren't able to browse my site with the fonts which I have kept for the site.One Way I think could help is having a message at the top of the website that"To browse these site in cool fonts"click here",the link here you could give can be the fonts which you can upload to your account using file manager or an FTP Client,but this isn't good as their could be some copyright issues,so I think its better to teel the visitors that to browse the site in some cool fonts,kindly install or get the latest fonts

Edited by musicmaza (see edit history)

Good question and Good answers. I really like people are trying to create new things. I think it is possible that you know XML and make DTD for your new font. In the website, HTML websites are normally validated by the w3c format which is standard for every brower such as IE, Firefox, etc. In the font coding <font face="Verdana"> the attribute of face is Verdana. If you put your new font's name, it cannot be seen on other IE browsers. If you can change or create your own DTD which stimulate original w3c format, you can put your font's name in it. I know only about XML and I do not know how to upload your font and direct your font source file from the DTD.