xisto Community
Mermaid711

How To Avoid Red-eye.

Red eye can be very problematic, and can make one's work look very unproffessional. Many compact cameras and digital cameras have this problem, but it comes very seldomly with professional equipment.You may be wondering, "How do I reduce red eye?"But first, in order to reduce red eye, you must know the cause of red eye.So what causes red eye?Red eye is caused when a bright flash goes off. Your eyes, or anyone's for that matter, do not have time to constrict when the flash goes off. So the light goes into your eye through the pupil, and relfects of the back of the inside of the eye, straight back into the camera.Ewwwwww nasty I can see the inside of your eye ewwwwwwww.Yes, eww. Photos look very "ewww" with red eye.But here is how to avoid it. Newer cameras in which are digital, typically have a 'red eye reduction' flash, or something along those lines. If you have that opption, more power to you. But if you don't, read this:1.) Increase the ambient light. (If you can)This is because most of the time red eye occours is when the pupils are most dialated, in the night. 2.) If the first is not available, ask your subjects to look into a light for a brief period of time.An odd request, yes, but it does help, since it alows the irises to constrict.3.) Take multiple pictures. This can be especially helpfull if the other two things are not available. The most likely picture to have red eye is the first one, so just through it out or keep it in your album, but the others should turn out perfectly fine.********If you can relocate the flash bulb, do so, so that the flash is located at a higher place than the suject. It should help.Also if you can find a flash filter, that will help, but that only works on close up subjects. They can be expsensive, however.

Comment: Yes they look weird, and freaky. There are programs that remove red eye from a picture (if u transfer it to your computer) , and they are for free. Try googling them.

Edited by craz (see edit history)

well buddy there is inbuilt red eye reduction in some cameras..its a special kind of flash...otherwise u can use image editing softwares

Obviously you didn't read the "Newer digital cameras have a 'red eye reduction' flash.

And don't call me buddy.

Just don't.

And yes, you can use digital editing software, but what about people who can't afford the software, or they can't afford a digital camera? This will help them, along with the rest of us.

Read people.

Lol, i wont be making that mistake bu- nevermind, you can also use photoshop, that has a red-eye removal option, just letting you know.

Well this is about photography tips, not image-editing tips.
Besides, she just said

And yes, you can use digital editing software, but what about people who can't afford the software, or they can't afford a digital camera?

On topic, I realize that I hardly get photos with red eyes because I never try to photograph my subjects in dim light, where the flash would be brightest, so I certaily agree with rule 1. The 2nd idea is new to me! I'll try it out if I ever have to photograph people in the dark. I notice that when you I suppose staring at a small light source like your cellphone or a digital watch will work for this? Cos' if you had better light sources, you wouldn't try to take photos in the dark :o

I've found out some programs that can remove red eyes for free! I prefer to use Windows Live Photo Gallery or something free to download because I've just tried it for 1 day and unistall it. Windos Live Photo Gallery or something can also edit your pictures in a easy and fast way!-Amiel

I use to clear the red eyes with Photoshop. There is a special tool called Red Eye tool. First go to the picture, zoom the area with the red eyes, select the Red Eye tool. In the options bar you can select a pupil size and a darken amount depending on the photo. After that just click in the centre of the eye to remove the red. The pupil area now should turn to black.

Edited by TheBlessedOne (see edit history)

Have you ever heard "old lady tale" that people with bad-sight or eye problem tend to occur red in photos. Of course I know this is untrue but in my childhood it made me think "...could it be?"

:)

My ways of dealing red eye.

1. Direct flash light. The main cause for red eye. If the ambient light is low, relocate the subject to a brighter place. If the former method wont work, use the tissue trick.

take a piece of tissue, fold it once, have it placed at the flash. It will diffuse the light source and will "scatter" it all over the place.

2. Artificial bounce light. Not only remove red eye totally but also improve the shadow casting and exposure control. Take a white card board, credit card size, hold it at 45 degrees on the flash while having your palm to hold the other side of the camera and start snapping.

These method works with point and shoot digital camera. Sometimes the build in red-eye reduction isnt effective. I use these steps when i have no access to my DSLR and i recommended those who didnt like the fuss of Photoshop or any other image editing application.

To know more, red eye not only affect humans or some animals but affect on dogs and its called blue eye. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_effect

yeap, bouncing the light is the best method... since red eye is caused by the light bouncing back from the subject to the image sensor, you should make it so that the light doesnt travel straight! that is why having a flash farther away from the lens makes it reduce red eye, as well as pointing the flash away.

Hey but i think that now a days there are many cameras coming with a special red eye reduction which tells that it reduces red eye but i think it actually does nothing just for make their product popular.

Red eye is a fascinating problem that is hard to fix. Something that sticks in my mind is when my aunt did something about it with her SLR flash; add a small piece of white paper with a piece of tape onto the top (just above the flash) so that it covers the light. This will dissipate the light considerably.

And about photo editing...ever tried the GIMP? It's a free alternative to Photoshop; about as many features and very reliable.

Hey but i think that now a days there are many cameras coming with a special red eye reduction which tells that it reduces red eye but i think it actually does nothing just for make their product popular.

Not reliable. Here is how the red eye reduction thing works in most cameras. It acutally dims the flash light to a reasonable amount so that the light falloff is away from the subject with the trade off for a weaker flash light that will dims the subject more than usual.