xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
polter

Free Web Hosting Site Fooled Me

Ok, i give up. It was my fault that I didn't go through the website thoroughly. But when you're in a hurry and want to set up your website as soon as possible, you tend to miss some of the things that you shouldn't. But I'll stick to my opinion that their advertisement was misleading for newbies like me.

They may not know it but - Misleading webhosting businesses can have their businesses striked off or sued. USA has better consumer protection than anywhere else in the world.

Word-of-mouth reviews are the most lethal so they will learn a lesson never to take "newbies" for fools. I mean how many times can a newbie say he didn't read TOS or whatever?

Take note though: If something FREE was mentioned but says "subject to terms and conditions" (in small print), there's nothing much you can do.

Well yeah, 110mb is a popular service, being there for quite some time. They now offer 5GB space with 300GB bandwidth.But I too agree that the 'must activate' part is a bit misleading.......it gives the notion that the user has to manually activate it or through a forum.They should have had mentioned 'must register' or 'not in free version'.However, as the others have said, you cannot say it's a rip-off in any case. Unless you are referring to a 'time' rip-off :)

Ok, i give up. It was my fault that I didn't go through the website thoroughly. But when you're in a hurry and want to set up your website as soon as possible, you tend to miss some of the things that you shouldn't. But I'll stick to my opinion that their advertisement was misleading for newbies like me.

I won't say it's your fault. Like you, I've been tricked into signing up with countless web services, only to find out that I need to pay, or that it is in fact a trial service. Misleading advertisement is a complete waste of consumers' time. In some countries that I have resided in, misleading advertisements are against the law. I don't think online advertising is monitored as much as mainstream advertising, but I don't see why there should be an exception.

I agree that it would be a good habit to read the TOS, though I don't have such a habit, and I believe many people are trusting souls like me too lol. It's too bad that companies are taking advantage of us. Thankfully, I tend to not give out too much actual information whenever I sign up for things that I have yet to invest a lot of commitment in. It would definitely be a must to read the TOS and service reviews if you have been asked for billing information or you know you have to pay for a service.

Just wanted to toss up my 2 cents.Anything that is "free" has some kind of catch. Especially when it sounds too good to be true.I have been through many, many free hosts that have had issues. Some are due to lack of features, some are due to lag, others are due to crashes.Really this is the best one that I've found so far, and only requires posting, which isn't too bad.Aside from that I have used probably around 60 other hosts and none of them offered the uptime I desired.Even with this, however, there's a catch. It's free but you must be active on the forums, :)