xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
musicmaza

Hosting Account Should Include Wysiwyg Editor Hosting account should include wysiwyg editor

I think Most of people looking to build a website don't know html or php therefore I think Xisto should include a wysiwyg editor with functions like drag and drop features. :PIt will be a great benefit to Xisto hosted members if it has some predefined templates for various categories.I myself is facing difficulties as I don't Know Html and I know there are other visual editors.But I think An Wysiwyg editor integrated with Xisto would do good to the newbies who have just put their first step in the world of making websites.

Edited by musicmaza (see edit history)

There are three drawbacks that are involved with this:

C-Panel is not made and developed by Xisto.

WYSIWYG editors in this sense is not supported by all browsers.

There are problems that WYSIWYG editors create that can only be solved by diving into the coding itself.

It is better to create your files offline on your computer for the following reasons:

You have a back-up of your site.

You can assure bug-free pages before it is publically accessible.

You have the ability to choose which WYSIWYG editor you want with the features you seek.

Xisto supports FTP, so this is an advantage for those who have their sites on their computer.

If you need help with your webpages, you can ask for it here in Xisto.

Thanx for your response and help truefusion.But I have NVU's KOMPOZER as an WYSIWYG editor.....I liked it ...But can you or anyone Please tell about other free WYSIWYG editors which are good with lot of features and which are easily understandable too...

Its not the matter of understanding WYSIWYG editor its the matter of what those WYSIWYG editors produce in terms of junk coding and what you need compared to stuff they put just because it looks cool. Granted back in the early 90's we didn't know people and people were producing very badly code producing html editors that included even worse javascript. Slowly people are producing some good html ediors of course you don't hear much about them since Big name editors such as dreamweaver, front pagem Golive have dominated the market in terms of standards compliant. Heck people still use note pad after all these years because they know there coding and so it don't take a huge program, like the ones I mention, to create a website.

ts the matter of what those WYSIWYG editors produce in terms of junk coding and what you need compared to stuff they put just because it looks cool

True words, unfortunately...
I would imagine that a WYSIWYG online editor would be created with flash and JS and maybe AJAX and flash, although flexible doesnt work in the same way on every browser, which is a major thing when youre creating a huge amount of pages, even one bug in the editor could lead to the results being multiplied 5O times and leading to a website thats incompatible with browsers etc... so then you'd have to download it to edit it and to debug it and then you might as well have made it locally :P

* You have a back-up of your site. * You can assure bug-free pages before it is publically accessible.
* You have the ability to choose which WYSIWYG editor you want with the features you seek.

I see that what i just wrote was essentially covered in point two there :) Ah well! All credit to TrueFusion there! The other two points are excelent ones too, thee was an issue on another site im on where one user created a 125 page website and lost almost all of it due to the WYSIWYG editor having a silly bug where one coy of the editor was loaded for each page..which meant he was effectively using 125 WYSIWYG editors written in flash... Well to say the least it crashed his computer and he lost everything, luckily the daily backup caught almost all of the pages and so he was saved but imagine if that was your website and there was no backup... :D

So you are much better off doing things locally! AS for editors i can suggest...well i cant to be honest as i dont use them purely because of what Saint_Michael said abut junk code... If you've ever used front page, the worst offender in my books, you'll notice line upon line of useless code thats doesnt conform to the web standards and is a pain when it comes to hand editing and loading in non IE browsers. So while my advice might not be what you want to hear i think it is good advice and it is simply to learn HTML, if you're interested in learning HTMl check out http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/ useful tut there from the ground up, also try setting yourself a task, EG: "I want to make a webpage with a menu on the left that is 25Opx wide and 5OOpx long with this colour background and this content..." And then try making it in HTML by using google to search for things like "HTML tables" etc... and you'll learn really fast. It will take a while before you can code really complex designs but you'll be surprised how simple HTML is :D For a list of editors, other software and tutorials check this thread http://forums.xisto.com/topic/53770-how-i-design-websites-using-free-software-this-weeks-challenge-as-set-by-david-essex/

Hope that helped, i know it wasnt abut WYSIWYG editors but it should help you get a better effect than using a WYSIWYG

if you're interested in learning HTMl check out http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/ useful tut there from the ground up, also try setting yourself a task

ya thanks for those helping links

I have decided that its neccessary to learn html and therefore i have decided to take html classes+php clases...that will i think help me . Meanwhile I keep on Reading books on html and also I found the site you provided helpful.Thanks for Your help.

Really One thing has to be said the members,moderators and admins of this community are really helpful.

Thanks to all you for your support and also for giving the encouragement to learn html and php and to rely only on visual editors......:P

I have decided that its neccessary to learn html and therefore i have decided to take html classes+php clases...that will i think help me

Good to hear! They will really help when making websites, once you've made a webpage or two using just HTML you should make a simple one in a WYSIWYG editor and see all the code that your teacher never mentions and most likely never will mention. I think that Web Devs should always have access to a WYSIWYG editor as it really makes trivial things like positioning elements so much quicker as you can drag it around and such rather than change a number in the code, save, reload the page, change the number again and repeat.

Anyway, let us know how it all goes and if you get stuck dont hesitate to ask, im always asking for help and ive been hand coding for about 3 or 4 years :P

Anyway, let us know how it all goes and if you get stuck dont hesitate to ask, im always asking for help and ive been hand coding for about 3 or 4 years

Yes I would surely ask you when I would get stuck in some coding.........
And thanks again for helping me out and Its your kindness that you would even help me when I am in some problem with my coding in future.....:P