xisto Community
Watermonkey

Mp3 Players Which one is best for the money?

I need to build a list of pros and cons regarding the best players out there and my concerns include:
Compatible with Mac computer OS?
Will it play MP3, WAV, WMP, and other popular music formats?
Are popular accessories like the Bose docking station built for it?
Storage capacity?
Battery life?
Removable battery?
Durable?
It's better if people who actually own and use an MP3 player write their opinion based upon their personal experiences, but if someone knows a close friend or family member who owns one and wants to relay that experience, that's fine as well.

I'm currently torn between two: The classic ipod (overpriced, singular format) and Creative Zen Vision:M (not Mac compatible and fewer accessories to choose from???)

Am I right in assuming you can't play music you didn't purchase at itunes.com on the ipod, even if you've purchased it elsewhere such as ripped it off a CD or converted audio files from LP to MP3?

You are wrong in assuming that.The iPod plays any mp3 (even those ripped of CDs).I think you may have it backwards. Songs purchased off of iTunes are in a special format (m4a, m4b, and m4p) and can't be played by anything except an iPod. But iTunes and the iPod can both play these special files and regular mp3s.I'm not sure about WMP files, you can test them by seeing if they play on iTunes. If they do, then they will play on an iPod.

Edited by DarkPsycho (see edit history)

I've got the Zen Vision:M and have had for around a year now (got it last Christmas :P ). I have also used a variety of iPods belonging to friends. I prefer the Zen, and I know plenty of people whose iPods have broken and they've replaced it with a Zen. I'll answer all your questions with respect to my Zen Vision:M 30GB.

Compatible with Mac computer OS?

Officially, Creative only list Windows operating systems as being compatible. I use Linux and it worked perfectly well in Amarok. I am sure there are third party tools out there that will work with the Mac, but I've never had cause to look for them.

Will it play MP3, WAV, WMP, and other popular music formats?

For audio, the Zen supports MP3s, WAVs and WMA files (including the evil DRM protected ones). For video you can use DivX, XviD, MPEGs 1, 2 and 4SP, WMV and even motion JPG. You can of course convert videos between one format and another if you want to get them onto the Zen.

Are popular accessories like the Bose docking station built for it?

You can pick up a load of accessories from Creative and there are a few generic bits and pieces out there. As for a docking station, try this.

Storage capacity?

30GB or 60GB. I've got the 30GB and space has never been an issue, despite the fact I have filled it with hours of music and video at the highest possible quality. Just look at the size of your music collection on your PC and you should be able to see whether its worth going for the 60GB or not.

Battery life?

I consistently get at least 14 hours out of it for audio. Of course it depends on how much you muck around with it while its playing, but thats what I get under "normal" use. What constitutes normal, I don't know :D But thats around average across the last year. For video you are looking at around 4 hours on average.

Removable battery?

Unfortunately not, but Creative's batteries are considerably better than Apple's. My brother has a Creative Zen Micro and the battery is still working fine after 4 years. Compare that to my freinds' iPod batteries lasting to just outside the warranty and being charged ridiculous amounts to have them replaced.

Durable?

Creative give you a nice bag to keep it in and protect it. It also already has a protective plastic layer on the screen which you can keep there to protect it from scratches. I have the gloss black Vision:M and after a year there are no scratches or scuffs or anything. The most noticeable thing is a few finger marks on the plastic covering the screen, but that is cheap and easy to replace. I've held a variety of iPods and the Zen seems to be better built than all of them. Yes, it's slightly heavier, but it is certainly a lot more durable.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

That's good information so far, from both of you. As I become more educated, I'm realizing that that iPod isn't as constrained as I once believed. I think I'm correct in assuming if I can play it on iTunes, I can play it on an iPod, right? I can play all sorts of things on iTunes and I can rip vinyl all day long and play it back on iTunes, so that wouldn't be an issue. So, for the sake of comparison between these two products, the iPod has the replaceable battery, but that's because it needs it apparently. The iPod is more fragile, just like my MBP is. Pretty, but easily marred. The Zen:M (silly name) is more durable and reliable but doesn't have Bose in its back pocket like seagulls following a factory trawler eating the scraps. I, too, am liking the Creative product, but since I'm an Apple user and that's where I do all my audio stuff, I need to know that it would play nice with whatever MP3 player I get. That's pretty much the only reason I'm still even considering the iPod.

Looking into it quickly (and asking someone with a Mac :P ) it would appear that XNJB is the software you want. It is a native Mac application (written in Cocoa) that gets MTP up and running so you can communicate with the Zen. It supports all the devices that libmtp supports, and the Zen Vision:M is listed. I actually use libmtp in Linux to get my Zen working.

I am looking into an MP3 Player for my father-in-law and he has a MAC Mini split with an older PC running on Windows XP. I was wondering which MP3 Player to get I'm that can run on both or MAC.  He is interested in Audiobooks. Thank you in advanced. 

-reply by Kathleen