xisto Community
AlphaOfDoom

Help: Internet Server Error

lol to upload files to Xisto servers you need a ftp program. I'm not sure if they allow any other methods but you also need ftp address and passwordit should be the same as your cpanel password and usernamesftp address: ftp.sonesay.trap17.comusername: sonesaypassword: passwordthats an example of my ftp account.

I see an FTP manager in cPanel, does it work? and if not what does? And if it does then what do I do with the FTP? O.OEDIT*It works! Finally got it working, thank you all for the help!Still have 2 more questions though:1. If a new version comes out, how to update it without losing everything....2. How do you install mods or whatever there is to install (if there is)

Edited by AlphaOfDoom (see edit history)

I've never used ftp manager in cpanel it probbaly works if its there. lol give it a go. I'm not too sure about how they do updates. 1 forum package i was using required you to just upload newer files and it updated to a new version. I think you should look at backing up your forum database regularly if you intend to have copies just incase something goes wrong. I think 'myPHPadmin' in cpanal allows you to make backups of the databse.

For future reference:

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/53776-install-an-aef-forum-onto-the-Xisto-from-a-zip-file/

a tutorial about installing AEF onto a Xisto Account the easy way.

1. If a new version comes out, how to update it without losing everything....

Any new Updates are provided in 2 versions. One is a complete package and the other is a component set including only the changed files. Either will work for a previously installed AEF Forum and not lose any of the Database information.

2. How do you install mods or whatever there is to install (if there is)

There are some Mods and Themes available at the AEF Forum Boards and also at this site, an un-official Mods site.

And how, for the sake of me not making a disaster out of my forum, do you install the mods? Honestly, I haven't even looked at them yet, but I always think it would be good to make sure....Oh yeah and would v1.03mods work on 1.04?

Edited by AlphaOfDoom (see edit history)

Some Mods work on both, some do not. You need to ask at the Mod Source whether each Mod works on the version you have. Also, check if the Mod has been tested with any other Mods you plan to install. Sometimes there are conflicts between a couple of Mods. Not often, but it happens.

And no, I don't do Mods. If you have a 'good' Text Editor, most Mods are simply finding sections of Code and replacing or adding lines of the php/html source files. See BH's post #9 above for some guidelines to Modding. Sometimes it is as simple as uploading new files, usually it means you need to modify some files and change some code. ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE MODDING, and save them in a safe place until you confirm that the changes work as expected.

Have you seen this site yet? AEF Demo Site