xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Need To Find A Place With A Wifi Point?

Well in my usual browsing for interesting stuff I came across this little doodad, knowing the fact that most Wifi enables laptop will have something telling what points are available. However, if your unsure and going on a trip then this website will help you find a WIFI Hotspot either pay or free so you can connect your computer up and enjoy some good ole internet. Especially useful if you plan to stay in a hotel or motel for the night or a couple of days.

That could be very useful. There are many times on a trip where I'd like to check my mail on the road, but it's a pain to keep my laptop on and check for them, especially since I can't usually charge my laptop while i'm in the car, I may use this on some other trips I'm planning on, thanks for the tool :)

anyone ever tried https://fon.com/?

from what they say it works as follows:

you need to have a broadband connection somewhere in the world over which you have control (i.e. you can change and configure the modem/router)

you need to buy a router customized by them that provides two wireless signals, one for a "public" wireless network and one for your "private" wireless, I think a few LAN ports are available as well

anyone can then connect to the "public" wireless network provided he or she has a valid username/password provided by them

the username and passwords are gained by either sharing your home connection in the above way or buy some credit from them

So if you are sharing your home connection you can connect for free to all wireless access points in the world whose owners share their connection the way you do.

In principal it sounds to me like a good thing, that could work. You don't pay anything on top of your normal broadband (apart from buying their router) and you can hook up to lots of wireless networks around the world! Though a few issues may arise, for example how to ensure users really share their connection once they've bought the router and do not simply leave the router unplugged? and what about security? (they do say the two networks, public and private, are completely independent...)

was wondering if anybody has tried it out or heard anything about it and could give some opinion...

In my country, in every place that you can drink coffee it has free wireless network. It writes on the door or it has a picture that says: Wi-Fi Zone. Try in your city, walk around, see some famous places and i am sure you will find wireless network.

Edited by TiGrE (see edit history)